Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Berlin - early 9...h6 (Read 9130 times)
IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Berlin - early 9...h6
Reply #21 - 01/07/09 at 18:33:04
Post Tools
Yes, a sort of buy-my-book and thanks-to-everyone three pager (or so). Email me if you'd like it.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #20 - 01/07/09 at 12:21:12
Post Tools
slates wrote on 12/23/08 at 12:09:41:
John Cox, a quick question for you; my copy of the Berlin Wall book is missing the introduction (I think everyone's is, actually, iirc) - are there any plans to put a .pdf of this on the website, or are you able to reproduce it here/anywhere?  

Many thanks in advance.

Just got my copy. The first chapter in my copy is called "Positional Introduction". Was there supposed to be another introduction preceding that?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

cma6

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 01/03/09 at 19:50:11
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/02/09 at 11:41:17:
Dennis M did say some nice things as well, by the way!

Dennis gave an overall very positive review. I should have emphasized the positive for the New Year! I posted Dennis' comments on Quality Chess' editing only because they seemed relevant to the thread.

Dennis M.'s  main point in his review was that your focus on the ending was entirely justified, making this book very valuable for all students of this key ending.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 01/02/09 at 11:41:17
Post Tools
Dennis M did say some nice things as well, by the way!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 01/02/09 at 11:40:39
Post Tools
Wang-Yue had a particularly nihilistic approach involving playing 9...Ke8 and ...Be7, and then just allowing Nxe6 and the exchange of all the rooks and the h-pawns, leading to a same-coloured bishop ending with the queen side fluid. He then played ...b5 and defended with just taking everything on f5, claiming that the bishop ending was drawn. It seems that this is true if White is so rash as to play c4, but Jakovenko, showing why he's in the top ten and Mickey A isn't any more (cf Adams-WY, Thessalonika) proved this wrong by playing e6, Bf4 (forcing ...Ba5) and now just c3, threatening b4 and Bd4. Black had to play ...c5, and now he loses the way I showed in the book, because the White king can get into his queenside.

Not the Berlin's Waterloo at all but the death of this particular concept for defending these positions, I predict. Back to what Kritz was doing all along.

Radja-Carlsen was with 9...Ke8 and ...b6; something I predicted in the book would become fashionable.

I would post the games but for some tedious IT reasons it's hard for me to do so without typing them all out.

IP Logged

cma6

Reply #16 - 01/01/09 at 03:09:34
Post Tools
In Chess Today-2976, Mikhail Golubev gives a brief analysis of Jakovenko-Wang Yue (FIDE Grand Prix 12/08)  in the line 9 Nc3, Ke8, 10 h3, Be7; 11 g4, Nh4

and also of Shirov-Karjakin (Spanish Ch. 11/08) in the line 9 Nc3, Ne7; 10 h3, Ng6; 11 Bg5ch, Ke8; 12 Rad1, Bd7 ("a line often seen at top level"); 13 Nd4, h6; 14 Bc1, Be7 N

IP Logged

cma6

Reply #15 - 12/31/08 at 02:51:13
Post Tools
I have been vaguely meaning to post a thread about the Wang-Yue Berlin meeting its recent Waterloo in Jakovenko-WY, Elista, and also about Radjabov-Carlsen from Thessalonika, but I haven't got round to it. Anyway, if anyone is interested in the Berlin then those were interesting games, and if anyone cares to post a thread discussing them I'll try and contribute (Shirov-Naiditsch from Dresden was also terrific).
[/quote]

John, can you post these games so we can get started on analyzing them. Your language "Waterloo" sound quite catastrophic for us Berlin devotees? Is it all over for the Berlin?

IP Logged

cma6

Reply #14 - 12/30/08 at 20:02:00
Post Tools
From Dennis Monokroussos' review in CT-2975:
"there are
quite a few run-ons that look more
like typographical goof-ups than
illiteracy from Cox. (My guess is that
he typed his work on a word
processing program, and when he
accidentally failed to enter a period
the subsequent capital letter was
"corrected" by the program.)"

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 12/29/08 at 10:22:49
Post Tools
emary can You check your inbox? Smiley

2200. Amateur!

cma6

Reply #12 - 12/29/08 at 04:22:15
Post Tools
Papageno wrote on 12/17/08 at 18:04:27:
Just browsing through Cox: Berlin Wall, I realize that he deals with lots of 9th move alternative for Black, just to mention 9...Ne7 (with and without Ng6 in the next move) , 9...Bd7, 9...Be7 and 9...Ke8 (followed by a7-a5-a4!?). Even  9...Be6 is dealt with, amongst the more dubious continuations

However, 9... h6 seems not to be discussed at all, as far as I unterstand. Nor is explained why this move is irrelevant... After all, 9...h6 is among the most popular moves in the position. (In fact, it is the move I have seen most often, when I play the Berlin with the white pieces.) Admittedly, there are a few remarks by Cox scattered over the book: On the side, the move ...h6 is often played soon and quite useful. On the other side, he remarks that late Tony Miles almost never employed it, seeing it as a loss of tempo. Black might need to play h5-h7 in one move, etc.

So, what's the current verdict on this move 9...h6? Which reason (or maybe a concrete line) put it out of use? Did perhaps Khalifman refute it?

IMHO, Black could well consider playing 9...h6 10.h3 and then continue with his usual plans like 10... Bd7 or Ne7 or even 10... Be6. Any opinions?

(Edit: It's all about 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O Nxe4 5. d4 Nd6 6. Bxc6 dxc6 7. dxe5 Nf5 8. Qxd8+ Kxd8 9. Nc3)

Speaking strictly as a player of the 9...Bd7 line, I would say that you have answered your own question, at least in that line.  If Black plays ...h6 before White plays h3, then Blask often has wasted a tempo, since he may have to play ...h5 to slow down the h3/g4/f4-f5 steamroller.  
 Larry Kaufman's book on "The Chess Advantage in Black and White" deals a bit with this ...h6 issue.

IP Logged

cma6

Reply #11 - 12/29/08 at 04:18:32
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 12/23/08 at 12:45:21:
Slates, it's being reprinted just now with the introduction in. I don't know about plans to put it anywhere. I think Quality feel a bit burned by the reception of their last efforts in that field. In all honesty too no-one's missing that much, just a few thanks to various people and usual buy-my-book stuff. If you (or anyone else really) care to email me - johncox@dewarhogan.co.uk - I can email you a copy of the intro, unless Jacob objects.

John, I do think a .pdf needs to be posted for missing sections.  My copy had "Understanding the Berlin Wall", pp. 9-15, but no other introduction. Should there have been an additional introduction?

Here is another misprint: in "Endings with 3 minor pieces each", the first example, starting on p. 70, is Chandler-Jonkman, which continues on the right-hand column of p. 71.  On p.71, the right- and left-hand columns were reversed.
  Since I'm only up to p.71, there may be other such printing mishaps later on. As a player of the ...Bd7 Berlin for years, I can say that the analysis is first rate. But Quality Chess owes the purchasers an internet .pdf to correct the printing errors. The pdf file would be of no use if one does not have the book.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #10 - 12/23/08 at 15:20:26
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 12/23/08 at 12:45:21:
Slates, it's being reprinted just now with the introduction in. I don't know about plans to put it anywhere. I think Quality feel a bit burned by the reception of their last efforts in that field. In all honesty too no-one's missing that much, just a few thanks to various people and usual buy-my-book stuff. If you (or anyone else really) care to email me - johncox@dewarhogan.co.uk - I can email you a copy of the intro, unless Jacob objects.

Aagard did mention he might do a pdf update to address a few missing lines in Avrukh's  Grandmaster Repertoire 1 - 1.d4 Vol 1. So surely, he would be open to this??

In any case, I can't imagine why Quality Chess should feel burnt? Surely not because a few people on this forum criticized the update to Marin's "Beating the Open Games"  Shocked Hard to believe that the typically more vocal minority should be interpreted as the will of the majority.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #9 - 12/23/08 at 12:47:35
Post Tools
Thanks John, will email you. I understand Jacob's frustrations - I bought the Marin book and have a few of the other Quality titles and have followed the threads here.  Great content in the books but occasionally it seems gremlins get into them at printing stage  Sad
Thanks

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 12/23/08 at 12:45:21
Post Tools

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #7 - 12/23/08 at 12:09:41
Post Tools
John Cox, a quick question for you; my copy of the Berlin Wall book is missing the introduction (I think everyone's is, actually, iirc) - are there any plans to put a .pdf of this on the website, or are you able to reproduce it here/anywhere?  

Many thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo