Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Why don't we see Tromp more (Read 11798 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Why don't we see Tromp more
Reply #17 - 01/29/09 at 14:02:20
Post Tools
You know, it's a game of chess.  I personally always play 2.c4 and I consider it the best move, but I don't think that anyone who studies the Tromp is wasting his time.  Down here at the lowly 2200-level where I play, I have my doubts that Black's game is really so much easier against the Tromp than it is against 2.c4.  What, is it so freaking easy for White to get the advantage against the Nimzo/QID, that he should never consider an alternative to 2.c4?  

I do think that anyone who plays the Tromp should get ahold of Dembo's excellent Fighting the Anti-King's Indians, which has a long section devoted to 2...c5.

[Apropos of nothing, my spellchecker doesn't recognize get ahold.  I see from googling that some prisses don't consider ahold to be a standard English word, and that the only correct expression is get a hold.  Idiots.  Charlatans.]

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #16 - 01/29/09 at 05:52:59
Post Tools

Quote:
Excellent summary! I am always pleased beyond recourse to see a player (particularly a higher rated!) waste his white with me in the Tromp. Easy to equalize!

The other question is "Is the tromp a good choice against much higher rated opponents where a draw is a good resul?"

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #15 - 01/27/09 at 01:42:08
Post Tools
TRW,

I partially agree with you when you say its a lazzy man's opening. Though I would say a better wording can be "it is better for people with less time for chess opening study" (like me working full time as a consultant)

I also cannot agree fully that one misses out chess positional depth. Yes I do not know tons of 'paper' theory but I think Tromp provides good enough chance to get the exposure (lets compare that players who play 1.b3 or 1.g3)

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/26/09 at 22:08:47
Post Tools
I looked once into the tromp,
my conclusion was ... d5 equalises easily.
And I don't see a complicated game either, the best white can do is to channel his opening moves into a london-like system.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 01/25/09 at 22:26:23
Post Tools
2...c5 and 2..e6 are pretty reasonable  as is 2..ne4 and 3...c5 and as others have said people are booked up - the tromp is not a shock move anymore. 2...d5 is a very solid equaliser

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 01/24/09 at 04:09:25
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 01/21/09 at 19:35:45:
saubhikr wrote on 12/23/08 at 02:59:12:
I am playing Trompowsky over 5 years now with good results (80% score, 2000+ rating performance). Just wander why is it not played that much. White gets dynamic positions and is also of wide different variety (than say Colle).

Any comments ?

Whilst the Tromp is pretty dangerous to an unprepared opponent, any Black who has the chance to prepare has a choice of playable defences, to suit all tastes. Black needs only to know one defence well, whereas White needs a complete grasp of the forcing lines, plus the wide variety of differently unbalanced Tromp middlegames.

I know a 2200 who has played it all the time for about a decade. He knows he should change but he's a bit lazy (that's why he picked up the Tromp in the first place). Also he is a bit scared to change, since by playing the Tromp exclusively he has missed out on becoming familiar with a huge chunk of positional themes that are found in other openings. He still often murders weaker players in weekend opens with it, but he keeps running into prep in serious tournaments and leagues, where his score with it is rather less than what is expected with the white pieces.

A few years ago, there was very little published theory on the Tromp and great scope for private research or over-the-board inspiration, hence its appeal to Julian Hodgson and even Michael Adams.

Now the theory is quite extensive, and I guess most masters feel that the positions reached are just not good enough to justify the effort of learning all the theory or doing original research on it - it's simply not promising or reliable enough for a pro to make it the mainstay of his white repertoire.

There's another factor; it seems that the stronger the player, the more reluctant they are to part with their bishop pair at an early stage of the game, particularly with White.

I suggest that Shereshevsky (in his book "The Soviet Chess Conveyer") was probably right, when he included the Tromp in the category of "one-game openings", good against certain opponents, or when you simply don't feel like taking on your opponent in his pet main line opening. I guess it is still actually quite useful to be able to punt the Tromp say once per tournament (as I think Chris Ward used to do), since it adds to your opponent's prep. and probably still has some psychological "fear value" as well - nobody likes to lose to the Tromp!

Excellent summary! I am always pleased beyond recourse to see a player (particularly a higher rated!) waste his white with me in the Tromp. Easy to equalize!

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #11 - 01/21/09 at 19:35:45
Post Tools
I am playing Trompowsky over 5 years now with good results (80% score, 2000+ rating performance). Just wander why is it not played that much. White gets dynamic positions and is also of wide different variety (than say Colle).

Any comments ?

Whilst the Tromp is pretty dangerous to an unprepared opponent, any Black who has the chance to prepare has a choice of playable defences, to suit all tastes. Black needs only to know one defence well, whereas White needs a complete grasp of the forcing lines, plus the wide variety of differently unbalanced Tromp middlegames.

I know a 2200 who has played it all the time for about a decade. He knows he should change but he's a bit lazy (that's why he picked up the Tromp in the first place). Also he is a bit scared to change, since by playing the Tromp exclusively he has missed out on becoming familiar with a huge chunk of positional themes that are found in other openings. He still often murders weaker players in weekend opens with it, but he keeps running into prep in serious tournaments and leagues, where his score with it is rather less than what is expected with the white pieces.

A few years ago, there was very little published theory on the Tromp and great scope for private research or over-the-board inspiration, hence its appeal to Julian Hodgson and even Michael Adams.

Now the theory is quite extensive, and I guess most masters feel that the positions reached are just not good enough to justify the effort of learning all the theory or doing original research on it - it's simply not promising or reliable enough for a pro to make it the mainstay of his white repertoire.

There's another factor; it seems that the stronger the player, the more reluctant they are to part with their bishop pair at an early stage of the game, particularly with White.

I suggest that Shereshevsky (in his book "The Soviet Chess Conveyer") was probably right, when he included the Tromp in the category of "one-game openings", good against certain opponents, or when you simply don't feel like taking on your opponent in his pet main line opening. I guess it is still actually quite useful to be able to punt the Tromp say once per tournament (as I think Chris Ward used to do), since it adds to your opponent's prep. and probably still has some psychological "fear value" as well - nobody likes to lose to the Tromp!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #10 - 01/21/09 at 08:43:52
Post Tools
Dante88 wrote on 01/21/09 at 00:15:46:
I agree with you again, it is an impressive endgame. I've found with my play and experience of the Trompowsky that the opening isn't about pressuring black so much as creating a dynamic position where the player with the better "imagination," so to speak, will fare better than his or her opponent.  

Are there better openings which are more aggressive and require sharper play by both players? Yes. Are there sharper answers and opening lines to 1...Nf6 in response to 1.d4 ? Of course.  I simply state that the Trompowsky is by no means a "novelty" but a solid, positionally sound opening, and a good alternative to the better known lines of say, the Semi-Slav or Colle-Zuke.

I think you answered your own question. At high levels such considerations are important, far more than at my patzer level.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Dante88
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 01/21/09 at 00:15:46
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 01/20/09 at 09:48:39:
Dante88 wrote on 01/19/09 at 20:52:43:
That is indeed a superb endgame from Karpov, but I would NOT attribute his win to the play of the opening. In the transition from opening to middlegame, let's say move 18...Kg7, white's position is at least =+. Black's knight is on the h-file and away from the bulk of the action, white boasts a better development and I prefer white's pawn structure in this position.  When we get to the endgame it is poorly played by White, and from my short analysis of the position I'd label it as a draw.

Well he certainly wasnt much worse. I put in the game mainly because I was impressed with the endgame, though the opening is also of interest. I just didnt see any of the pressure white can put on black in the opening.

I agree with you again, it is an impressive endgame. I've found with my play and experience of the Trompowsky that the opening isn't about pressuring black so much as creating a dynamic position where the player with the better "imagination," so to speak, will fare better than his or her opponent. 

Are there better openings which are more aggressive and require sharper play by both players? Yes. Are there sharper answers and opening lines to 1...Nf6 in response to 1.d4 ? Of course.  I simply state that the Trompowsky is by no means a "novelty" but a solid, positionally sound opening, and a good alternative to the better known lines of say, the Semi-Slav or Colle-Zuke.

AIM  
IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #8 - 01/20/09 at 09:48:39
Post Tools
Dante88 wrote on 01/19/09 at 20:52:43:
That is indeed a superb endgame from Karpov, but I would NOT attribute his win to the play of the opening. In the transition from opening to middlegame, let's say move 18...Kg7, white's position is at least =+. Black's knight is on the h-file and away from the bulk of the action, white boasts a better development and I prefer white's pawn structure in this position.  When we get to the endgame it is poorly played by White, and from my short analysis of the position I'd label it as a draw.

Well he certainly wasnt much worse. I put in the game mainly because I was impressed with the endgame, though the opening is also of interest. I just didnt see any of the pressure white can put on black in the opening.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Dante88
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 01/19/09 at 20:52:43
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 01/19/09 at 12:46:54:

Any comments ?

Because white has a very negative score at top level?
Check for example 2..d5. I could find only two wins for white in the last couple of years at top level (2500+) and one of them was a blind game...

Here's a game to show that Karpov despite him being old is still Karpov (quite the endgame):
[Event "Odessa Pivdenny Bank 4th"]
[Date "2008.05.30"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Beim,Valery"]
[Black "Karpov,Anatoly"]
[Result "0-1"]
1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 d5 3.e3 c6 4.Bd3 Bg4 5.Ne2 Nbd7 6.c3 e5 7.Nd2 Be7 8.f3 Bh5 9.Ng3 Bg6 10.Nf5 Bxf5 11.Bxf5 0-0 12.0-0 Re8 13.Qc2 g6 14.Bh3 Nh5 15.Bh6 Bf8 16.Bxd7 Qxd7 17.Bxf8 Kxf8 18.Rae1 Kg7 19.Qd1 Rad8 20.f4 exf4 21.exf4 Rxe1 22.Qxe1 Re8 23.Qf2 Qg4 24.h3 Qg3 25.f5 Qxf2+ 26.Rxf2 Ng3 27.fxg6 hxg6 28.Kh2 Ne4 29.Re2 f5 30.Nf3 Re7 31.g3 Kf6 32.Kg2 a5 33.a4 g5 34.Ne5 c5 35.Nf3 b6 36.Re1 Nd6 37.Rxe7 Kxe7 38.Nxg5 Nc4 39.dxc5 bxc5 40.b3 Nd2 41.h4 Kf6 42.Nf3 Nxb3 43.Kf2 c4 44.Ke3 Nc5 45.Kd4 Nxa4 46.h5 Nb2 47.Kxd5 a4 48.Nd4 a3 49.Nc2 a2 50.Na1 Kg5 51.Ke5 Nd3+ 52.Kd4 Nb2 53.Ke5 Nd1 54.Kd4 Kxh5 55.Kxc4 Kg4 56.Kb3 Kxg3 57.Kxa2 f4 58.Nc2 f3 0-1

That is indeed a superb endgame from Karpov, but I would NOT attribute his win to the play of the opening. In the transition from opening to middlegame, let's say move 18...Kg7, white's position is at least =+. Black's knight is on the h-file and away from the bulk of the action, white boasts a better development and I prefer white's pawn structure in this position.  When we get to the endgame it is poorly played by White, and from my short analysis of the position I'd label it as a draw.

AIM  
IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 01/19/09 at 12:46:54
Post Tools

Any comments ?

Because white has a very negative score at top level?
Check for example 2..d5. I could find only two wins for white in the last couple of years at top level (2500+) and one of them was a blind game...

Here's a game to show that Karpov despite him being old is still Karpov (quite the endgame):
[Event "Odessa Pivdenny Bank 4th"]
[Date "2008.05.30"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Beim,Valery"]
[Black "Karpov,Anatoly"]
[Result "0-1"]
1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 d5 3.e3 c6 4.Bd3 Bg4 5.Ne2 Nbd7 6.c3 e5 7.Nd2 Be7 8.f3 Bh5 9.Ng3 Bg6 10.Nf5 Bxf5 11.Bxf5 0-0 12.0-0 Re8 13.Qc2 g6 14.Bh3 Nh5 15.Bh6 Bf8 16.Bxd7 Qxd7 17.Bxf8 Kxf8 18.Rae1 Kg7 19.Qd1 Rad8 20.f4 exf4 21.exf4 Rxe1 22.Qxe1 Re8 23.Qf2 Qg4 24.h3 Qg3 25.f5 Qxf2+ 26.Rxf2 Ng3 27.fxg6 hxg6 28.Kh2 Ne4 29.Re2 f5 30.Nf3 Re7 31.g3 Kf6 32.Kg2 a5 33.a4 g5 34.Ne5 c5 35.Nf3 b6 36.Re1 Nd6 37.Rxe7 Kxe7 38.Nxg5 Nc4 39.dxc5 bxc5 40.b3 Nd2 41.h4 Kf6 42.Nf3 Nxb3 43.Kf2 c4 44.Ke3 Nc5 45.Kd4 Nxa4 46.h5 Nb2 47.Kxd5 a4 48.Nd4 a3 49.Nc2 a2 50.Na1 Kg5 51.Ke5 Nd3+ 52.Kd4 Nb2 53.Ke5 Nd1 54.Kd4 Kxh5 55.Kxc4 Kg4 56.Kb3 Kxg3 57.Kxa2 f4 58.Nc2 f3 0-1

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #5 - 01/19/09 at 12:31:10
Post Tools
Yes, it is true the all the best defences are well known to Black, in any number of openings. I remember in the early 2000s the Scandinavian was popular, around the same time as the Trompovsky boom (possibly due to Wells' book). Over the last few years the Dutch has been popular, but now this too is starting to wane. I believe that any opening that gains wide popularity eventually becomes a victim of its own success in that the best lines against it are found.

Incidentally, I reckon Anand's use of it was as much due to the surprise factor as the actual merits of the opening itself. Also, the game was played in 1998, so theory has advanced considerably since then as White isn't getting so much out of the opening now.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Trompovsky too and have played it myself. Its immensely playable even at Grandmaster level, although there is a reason why 2700+ players don't touch it any more, save for rapid games.

Despite my fondness for the opening I am only too aware of the drawbacks associated with the early queen's bishop development.

IP Logged

Dante88
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/19/09 at 08:50:19
Post Tools
winawer77 wrote on 12/24/08 at 10:26:52:
I think that it has had its day in the sun. Like the Scandinavian, the novelty factor has worn off and theory has crystallised somewhat, resulting in the best defences available to Black being common knowledge. I'd imagine Eric Prie's excellent analysis has contributed towards this. I guess, ultimately, top GMs don't trust openings like this as much as the main lines.

I disagree with the "novelty factor" of this opening.  You say that the theory has crystallized and the best defenses are commonly known to black, but isn't this getting to be the point with ANY OPENING? Opening book memorization is being taught to students at the beginning level and as such great defenses and counter play for black players is easy to come by. I believe that the Trompowsky opening is extremely under-rated and deserves to be given more respect.

Even in the most common lines of the Trompowsky white has a very dynamic position and great prospects. At all levels this opening has been proven to be += for white and it is my personal favorite opening. The Trompowsky needs an elite GM to take it up and show the great strength in it.  There is proof in it's strength at the "Super" GM level already, as Anand used it in a 'must win' situation against Karpov in the World Championship in '98.

AIM  
IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #3 - 12/27/08 at 13:34:52
Post Tools
Well, I guess tromp gives white at least better chance than exchage Slav (played by Kramnik in WC)......

Is there any partiular line (by black) which is causing this mindset ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo