Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A solid line against the benoni and benko (Read 20007 times)
TN
God Member

Re: A solid line against the benoni and benko
Reply #18 - 03/08/11 at 06:18:13
Post Tools
I suggest just playing 3.Nf3, especially if you've played the English Opening as White. It's not like the 3...cxd4 4.Nd4 e5 5.Nb5 d5 6.cxd5 Bc5 gambit is scary for White.

If Black tries a delayed Benoni (e.g. 6...c5 in the KID), you can play d5 and meet ...exd5 with exd5.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

raja

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 03/08/11 at 04:22:23
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 03/07/11 at 18:43:39:
fling wrote on 03/07/11 at 18:40:16:
raja wrote on 03/07/11 at 17:06:26:
I faced Benoni many times when playing blitz online and very rare do i lose.....i love to play against benoni infact...i suggest you h3 Nf3 Bd3 setup  Cool
For Benko the only way for playing for advantage is to accept the pawn... i strongly suggest you to read Avrukh's repertoire it has very nice explanation....  Smiley

I think that both of these choices are pretty critical (what I play too). However, none seem to be very solid. The solid way to play against the Benko is for me to decline with b6.

How solid do you want!? In terms of solidity, there are only a few choices I can think of in either case that are more solid, but they don't promise nearly as much. One problem with playing too solidly against active defenses like the Benoni and Benko is that you risk giving up too much to Black.

very well said.  Cool

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #16 - 03/08/11 at 00:55:08
Post Tools
The fianchetto lines are strategically complex, not tactical slugfests, and they're fine and more than fine if you're well booked and tactically alert (defensively), but it does take White a while to get untangled in safety; and until he does, Black does get some of the opening's characteristic queenside pressure and tactical chances.

For a line that is solid in the sense of denying that to Black--a good idea for someone with a terrible record against the Benko--take a look at Squeezing the Gambits. It offers a ..b6 repertoire, along with an alternative to counter the early ...e6 ideas. This line really is solid in that it subjects White to much less early pressure and is easier to handle.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #15 - 03/07/11 at 18:43:39
Post Tools
fling wrote on 03/07/11 at 18:40:16:
I faced Benoni many times when playing blitz online and very rare do i lose.....i love to play against benoni infact...i suggest you h3 Nf3 Bd3 setup  Cool
For Benko the only way for playing for advantage is to accept the pawn... i strongly suggest you to read Avrukh's repertoire it has very nice explanation....  Smiley

I think that both of these choices are pretty critical (what I play too). However, none seem to be very solid. The solid way to play against the Benko is for me to decline with b6.

How solid do you want!? In terms of solidity, there are only a few choices I can think of in either case that are more solid, but they don't promise nearly as much. One problem with playing too solidly against active defenses like the Benoni and Benko is that you risk giving up too much to Black.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/07/11 at 18:40:16
Post Tools

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #13 - 03/07/11 at 18:36:20
Post Tools
@Raoh: it all depends on your style and what you're comfortable with.  Personally, I always used to play the Saemisch against the KID and after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f3 0-0 6.Bg5 (or Be3) c5 7.d5 e6 8.Qd2 ed 9.cd we have a Benoni.  So I usually head for that position after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 ed 5.cd d6 6.e4 g6 7.f3!?

Any line is playable, but I like the f3 lines because it takes Black's pressure on the e4-pawn away.  One cool idea is to meet ...a6 with a4.  Then as Black prepares the ...b7-b5 push (you can't really stop it), you can play Ra1-b1, meeting 1...b5 with 2.axb5 axb5 3.b4!, blockading the Queenside pawn mass.  If Black then plays ...c5-c4 he gives up the d4-square and the c4 pawn is easily blockaded and pretty much immobilized.

I guess my point is that you can get good results out of just about any line if you do some research into the typical plans (annotated games help).  Only you can know what line suits your style.

IP Logged

raja

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 03/07/11 at 17:06:26
Post Tools

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #11 - 03/07/11 at 16:57:21
Post Tools
Larsen_fan wrote on 03/06/11 at 17:35:59:
My starting rating after getting back has been set to 1600 but I am improving fast - 120 rarting already and not loosing a single game yet

Really?  On which planet are you playing chess?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #10 - 03/07/11 at 16:56:21
Post Tools
I play that line (which as far as I know doesn't have a generally accepted name?) as White.
I think a more correct characterisation is that in the ...Na6 lines, White is forced to switch gears from the caveman approach (Ojanen-Keres, Penrose-Tal) into quieter lines, as the Nc7 exerts too much pressure on d5 for the route one approach to work.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #9 - 03/06/11 at 18:04:36
Post Tools
That looks like a common sort of list which might be asking for too much.

Assuming you mean the Modern Benoni, one thought I would have is the system with e4, Bd3 and Nge2.  It is most standardly associated with White playing like in the famous game Penrose-Tal, Leipzig (ol) 1960, but he could also aim to play more solidly/"positionally" à la I. Ivanov-Arnason, Lone Pine 1981.

IP Logged

Larsen_fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 03/06/11 at 17:35:59
Post Tools
Hi

My question is related.

I just got back into chess after many years and Im working on a openingrepetoire to be able to survive against some of the more unusual openings my opponents can come up with against my 1 d4, 2 c4, 3 sc3 . The aim is to find lines with and the following characteristics:

1 Sound against best reply.
2 Light on theory
3 Possibilities of taking black out of the type of position he would normally obtain from the mainlines of the opening.
4 Possibilities for the opponent to go wrong tactically or positionally even with natural looking moves.
5 Low risk of going wrong tactically/positionallyfor white if white knows the basic ideas.
6 Not latest fashion (a surprise weapon).

This may lead to “Low risk/low Gain” openings but essentially I am ok with that. I’m not looking for a clear edge out of the opening but rather sound playable positions.

My starting rating after getting back has been set to 1600 but I am improving fast - 120 rarting already and not loosing a single game yet so I think I will meet 1800 - 2000 opponents soon.

What would you recomend against the Benoni?

best,
Larsen_fan

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 03/29/09 at 19:57:46
Post Tools
Zatara,

For the Benko, there are plenty of threads in the Daring Openings thread (which includes the Benko).  I know, the Benoni and Benko are sibling variations, but they've been split up here.

Again, the Mikenas line is not considered dangerous anymore.  You can find sources on it in many books, including Watson's Mastering the Chess Openings vol 2.  But I repeat myself.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 03/29/09 at 04:13:06
Post Tools
Hi Dr Kodos,
What line vs Benko would you recoomend for the "attacking" player??  Also is the Mikenas the 4 pawns attack or a line with f3?? 
Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #5 - 03/28/09 at 18:15:54
Post Tools
Watson, in his book Mastering The Openings vol 2, argues that the Mikenas line is exactly what Black should look for when playing the Modern Benoni.  While there are some neat tactical tricks, I think they've pretty much been worked out to the point that a prepared player can safely face the Mikenas.

I am more interetested in the current trend away from the modern main line h3 attack for White.  Does anyone have some good info on how White is successfully combatting the Carlsen/Topalov Benonis?

~Cheers!

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #4 - 01/06/09 at 22:13:14
Post Tools
Kowl wrote on 01/06/09 at 20:34:42:
drkodos wrote on 01/06/09 at 14:54:16:
Mikenas attack.

Most Benoni players are not so prepared for it as the "books" all state it is not White' best option, as time has passed it by.

Thanks for this line. I'm used to playing the flick-knife attack but most players around my level know it so this might be a useful alternative for me.

As for the Benko, I've found giving the pawn back with 5.b6 to be pretty easy to play as white.

There is some fun and unclear play in the Mikenas if Black plays dxe5, which happens frequently.  Not many sources on this, so it is one early Black deviation on which to pursue some individual homework.

As for 5.b6 v, the Benko, I always enjoyed playing Black against this line by embracing the doubled c pawns Black gets w/...e6 right away to hit the White center while it is a bit vulnerable. Gives Black easy play and chances to play for a full point.  Black's position after
5. ...e6 6.Nc3 Nd4  7.Nd5 ed  8. Qd6 Nc6 looks ugly but has proven to be relatively easy to hold the draw, or play for more if White gets careless.

9.Nf3 Rb8 10. Ne5 (10.Bd2 !) Qf6 11.Nxc6 bc 12 Qe4+ Be7 =

and Black is the one that will have fun, if any is to be had, I find.

As white, I relentlessly cave in to my fears and punt w/ 4Nf3 or Qc2 now that the Zaitsev is really not so hot to trot.  I tried the Rb1 lines, but kept getting steamrolled by rooks in the late middlegame.   Cool

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo