Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Playing the Queen's Gambit: A Grandmaster Guide (Read 71222 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Playing the Queen's Gambit: A Grandmaster Guide
Reply #82 - 07/23/09 at 19:37:28
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/09 at 19:19:42:
I like the book as a supplement to and even a conversation with Avrukh's book.

Interestingly, they both recommend the same slightly unusual line against the Chigorin, but with different interpretations.  Avrukh's book is much more detailed, but a bit more staid.  I am disappointed that both authors steer away from the critical QGD lines.  Avrukh does this by recommending the Catalan while Schandorff recommends the Exchange Variation.

At least Schandorff does discuss the Slav and Semi-Slav in some detail.

If I had to choose one book, I would choose Avrukh's because of its greater depth.  But I am glad to have invested in Schandorff's book too.

Personally I like this one better than Avrukh's, in particular because of the repertoire chosen and the way he illustrates his lines with games and comments. I also dont really like his QGD line, but that has a lot to do with me not understanding that sort of middle game (for some reason I have less trouble with the semi-slav Undecided). It is a minor issue though, as black players (from 1200 to 2800 elo) seem to avoid it. One of the reasons being the line illustrated in the book, so yes imo it is a critical line (I dont think there is a more critical one theoretically speaking). Plus of course he does cover the Lasker and classical via another route.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #81 - 07/22/09 at 20:30:42
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/09 at 19:19:42:
 I am disappointed that both authors steer away from the critical QGD lines.  Avrukh does this by recommending the Catalan while Schandorff recommends the Exchange Variation.

At least Schandorff does discuss the Slav and Semi-Slav in some detail

Well surely the Catalan as well as the exchange QGD are both critical. But I suppose you mean you would have liked to have seen 4. Bg5 QG or perhaps 5. Bf4. (Poor 1.e4 players, they have to play the Ruy Lopez, to gain an advantage, whereas 1.d4 players have a wife choice) I think a good  book on the Bf4 QG in particular would do well

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #80 - 07/22/09 at 19:19:42
Post Tools
I like the book as a supplement to and even a conversation with Avrukh's book.

Interestingly, they both recommend the same slightly unusual line against the Chigorin, but with different interpretations.  Avrukh's book is much more detailed, but a bit more staid.  I am disappointed that both authors steer away from the critical QGD lines.  Avrukh does this by recommending the Catalan while Schandorff recommends the Exchange Variation.

At least Schandorff does discuss the Slav and Semi-Slav in some detail.

If I had to choose one book, I would choose Avrukh's because of its greater depth.  But I am glad to have invested in Schandorff's book too.

IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #79 - 07/21/09 at 20:04:04
Post Tools
Back on topic - I just purchased this book. I have only worked through first chapter (QGD exchange). My impression - I love it. Very clearly written. It nicely shows the development of the line, then goes into key theory. Just what I need, and best of all, plays the lines I like (looking ahead at the Chapters).

What a beautiful book!

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #78 - 05/10/09 at 12:54:18
Post Tools
Cyronik,

There have been similarly titled books aimed at the white player, for example: Shaw's Starting out the Queen's Gambit and Ward's Play the Queen's Gambit.  Most books from Black's perspective include the term "declined" or "accepted" in the title. If you would stop to think about it for a minute, it makes perfect sense as Aagard has already pointed out.   Don't accuse the publisher of being misleading because you yourself misunderstood. In any case, I would think any discerning buyer would not just buy because of a title, but would at least look at the blurb. The rest of your post has nothing to do with this thread - no need to load it up with every grouse you have about book titles.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #77 - 05/10/09 at 12:29:55
Post Tools
I do not see how the title can be considered confusing. The book is called "Play the Queen's Gambit". Not Play the Queen's Gambit Declined, not Play the Queen's Gambit Accepted. A book called "Play the Benko Gambit" would be considered a book for Black, wouldn't it?

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 05/10/09 at 09:13:57
Post Tools
Well, there is no King's Gambit variation from black's perspective.
But there are 2 variations from black's perspective, the QGD and QGA.
So you can't really compare the KG with the QG.

Of course bethanks to the information on the internet,
you can still find out what the book is really about.
But judging from the title you just don't know really what the book is about. I recently looked up which literature does exist for the QGD, and I had to check this book too, because I didn't know if it did handle it or not. If I see a book named "Play the king's indian", I know this is a book from black's perspective in the KID. If I see a book "beating the king's indian", I know this is a book handling the KID from white's perspective. Btw, looking up these books I find 2 other books, which descriptions are not really userfriendly, "Beat the KID" and "Kill K.I.D.",
these titles require you to know that KID = King's Indian Defence, not every chessplayer does know that, especially the ones whose mother's tongue is not english might have problems realizing these titles are about the kid. Do you think a normal chessplayer will find your books on the kid in amazon? I guess he will type "king's indian", I guess "beat the kid" and "kill k.i.d." might not show up.

Jacob Aagaard wrote on 05/09/09 at 15:32:48:
The Queen's Gambit is 2.c4 - this is the gambit move. For this reason the title is not misleading. Would Playing the King's Gambit not be clear?

I know a few people were confused, but with all the information out there, which is very very clear about what is in the book, I don't hope that anyone went as far as to buy the book and be disappointed.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #75 - 05/10/09 at 09:01:17
Post Tools
Ah, ok, thanks markovich, I found my post there.
Good to know someone didn't delete it Smiley

Markovich wrote on 05/09/09 at 19:04:31:
Quote:
I think the title "Playing the Queen's Gambit" is misleading,
since it covers only certain variations from white's perspective.
A black player looking for a book about the Queen's Gambit (Declined/Accepted) might be fooled.

Btw, why was my comment about avrukhs repertoire deleted in the other thread?

A series of posts was moved to General Chess, "Chess Coaching."  It could be that your post was sent over there because it was interleaved with some non-topic ones.  There is no way to move single posts.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #74 - 05/09/09 at 19:04:31
Post Tools
Quote:
A black player looking for a book about the Queen's Gambit (Declined/Accepted) might be fooled.

A series of posts was moved to General Chess, "Chess Coaching."  It could be that your post was sent over there because it was interleaved with some non-topic ones.  There is no way to move single posts.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #73 - 05/09/09 at 15:32:48
Post Tools
The Queen's Gambit is 2.c4 - this is the gambit move. For this reason the title is not misleading. Would Playing the King's Gambit not be clear?

I know a few people were confused, but with all the information out there, which is very very clear about what is in the book, I don't hope that anyone went as far as to buy the book and be disappointed.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #72 - 05/09/09 at 07:55:18
Post Tools
In reply to the post about the lines against the Indian defences.

4.Qc2 in the Nimzo Indian is already covered in Quality Chess' Challenging the Nimzo Indian by Vigorito. And that is a monster big book.

The Re1 Bayonet is covered in Quality Chess' Beat the KID by Markos.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 05/09/09 at 07:38:04
Post Tools

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #70 - 04/24/09 at 09:22:34
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 04/16/09 at 07:33:04:
I think Palliser is doing something along these lines for Everyman. Anyway, it does not make a lot of sense for us to continue to cover everything times two, as we did with GM Rep 1 and PtQG. There are many openings and we will try to cover them one by one, instead of being the 1.d4 d5 and 1.e4 e5 company, which does seem to be the case at the moment!

I think black players will welcome this, seeing the great quality of the white repertoires in those books Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #69 - 04/17/09 at 01:08:36
Post Tools
I concur with bibs and Markovich on Cox's starting out book.

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #68 - 04/16/09 at 07:33:04
Post Tools
I think Palliser is doing something along these lines for Everyman. Anyway, it does not make a lot of sense for us to continue to cover everything times two, as we did with GM Rep 1 and PtQG. There are many openings and we will try to cover them one by one, instead of being the 1.d4 d5 and 1.e4 e5 company, which does seem to be the case at the moment!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo