Latest Updates:
Normal Topic grunfeld advice sought (Read 3544 times)
trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: grunfeld advice sought
Reply #5 - 02/07/09 at 10:43:13
Post Tools
Grunfeld is a no-no against 1.nf3,2.c4 or 1.c4 due to some anti-grunfeld lines lke 5.Qa4+ (see http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213071674) which can be followed by 6.Qb3(after Bd7) Eljanov-style or 6.Qh4 Nxc3, 7. Qd4 (my favourite)

As for my offbeat pet-line against it via a d4 move-order, it is the bd2 variation as in Topalov-Cheparinov MTel Masters 2008

IP Logged

Kowl

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/14/09 at 15:40:38
Post Tools
MilenPetrov wrote on 01/14/09 at 14:54:35:
I can point your attention to two books from Chess Stars - How to get and Edge against the Grunfeld and Experts Guide to the 7.Bc4 Exchange Grunfeld. If you wan tto play Grunfeld I think you should be familiar also with the analysis os Sakaev. He proposes very annoying White's repertoire against it.
Also you should considers Opening for White according to Kramnik. I did not remember which volume exactly deals with Anti-Grunfeld stuff.
So I think you have quite a big choice and material for studying.

I'm a 7.Bc4 man and I' d like to say I find the line with 7...0-0 8.Ne2 Nc6!? a lot harder to face than 8...c5

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Reply #3 - 01/14/09 at 14:54:35
Post Tools
I can point your attention to two books from Chess Stars - How to get and Edge against the Grunfeld and Experts Guide to the 7.Bc4 Exchange Grunfeld. If you wan tto play Grunfeld I think you should be familiar also with the analysis os Sakaev. He proposes very annoying White's repertoire against it.
Also you should considers Opening for White according to Kramnik. I did not remember which volume exactly deals with Anti-Grunfeld stuff.
So I think you have quite a big choice and material for studying.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/14/09 at 14:25:33
Post Tools
Glen_Rotten wrote on 01/14/09 at 11:44:30:
Hi
I wonder if anyone had some advice on the following.
What book would be best for someone taking up the Grunfeld?  The three that seemed most suitable appeared to be Davies, Aagard or Rowson – would one of these three be good?

Is the Grunfeld okay for less experienced players/youngsters to try to learn?  I’m sure I’ve read sometimes that it’s a bit complicated and, as a modern opening, maybe not so good.  However, though I don’t really know much about it, it does seem to me that the moves are quite logical and, importantly, the pieces get to move around and not stuck behind loads of pawns, which is quite important for improving players – it also seems to avoid serious weaknesses that one gets with the Dutch – i.e. it is maybe more ‘solid’ than the Dutch.

Finally, I guess one could use something like the Grunfeld against the English and against openings like the Colle, London and so on – maybe that type of player would get frustrated with the pawn on g7 blocking their prized bishop?

Any help most appreciated.
thanks

Imho, Dembo's two books are the most useful ones to start out with.  Usefully, they are consistent in their approach to White's fianchetto.

However, as you will discover, Black encouters difficulties if he tries to respond to the English in Gruenfeld fashion, and likewise after 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/14/09 at 13:46:19
Post Tools
Rowsons "Understanding the Grunfeld" is the best opening-book I have and I have a lot of them. I can highly recommend it for someone trying to learn the Grunfeld.

I think the Grunfeld is a theoretically very sound and active defence to play. Maybe it`s the best defence for black when trying to win. I think it is a defence for winners and would have recommended it to a younger self just starting chess.

However, when trying to learn it I found that white has very many different lines he can play, all of which can quickly become critical for black if he does not react appropriately. So even though I have a soft heart for the Grunfeld I found it was not a practical choice for me to use it on a consistent basis.

With regards to the Colle and London a fianchetto set-up is the best way for black to go, but consider carefully where you put your d-pawn.

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

Glen_Rotten
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

grunfeld advice sought
01/14/09 at 11:44:30
Post Tools
Hi
I wonder if anyone had some advice on the following.
What book would be best for someone taking up the Grunfeld?  The three that seemed most suitable appeared to be Davies, Aagard or Rowson – would one of these three be good?

Is the Grunfeld okay for less experienced players/youngsters to try to learn?  I’m sure I’ve read sometimes that it’s a bit complicated and, as a modern opening, maybe not so good.  However, though I don’t really know much about it, it does seem to me that the moves are quite logical and, importantly, the pieces get to move around and not stuck behind loads of pawns, which is quite important for improving players – it also seems to avoid serious weaknesses that one gets with the Dutch – i.e. it is maybe more ‘solid’ than the Dutch.

Finally, I guess one could use something like the Grunfeld against the English and against openings like the Colle, London and so on – maybe that type of player would get frustrated with the pawn on g7 blocking their prized bishop?

Any help most appreciated.
thanks

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo