Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: How often do you play the Colle?

« Created by: Rookpawn on: 01/18/09 at 17:40:56 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Do you play the Colle? (Read 24641 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Do you play the Colle?
Reply #15 - 04/16/09 at 13:44:08
Post Tools
trw wrote on 04/11/09 at 00:43:41:
colle is essentially a drawing weapon. I usually only seen it trotted out when a draw will do. It is very hard for white to win ever. I have never lost to the Colle but also have few wins (5 wins 3 draws and no losses I think) all against higher rateds.

I see people like Polgar and others teach it to kids because it is so simple to learn.

I don't consider it a waste of time but clearly its not in white's interest if he's trying to win or at least try for advantage.

Funny, because I always thought that White's kingside piece play could get dangerous in the Colle.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Meat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 04/16/09 at 09:05:19
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 04/11/09 at 18:48:42:
Colle is an excellent blitz opening, you can whip out the moves mindlessly and quickly without having to pay much attention to what Black is doing.

There is a guy on ICC that plays nothing else and sports a 3000+ blitz rating at times YaacovN I think his name is, extremely boring to watch, but it works for him. His OTB fide rating is about 2200+.

I noticed against the KID and Dutch setups he usually gets less than nothing, but what he lacks in position he more than makes up for by flagging his opponents.

Tops Smiley

I've often wondered if I, as a club player, shouldn't take up one of this mindless systems like the Colle or the Stonewall attack (also a YaacovN favorite). Just playing the same moves and following the same plans over and over again could probably make my life easier and score some simple textbook wins. I've seen dozens of people getting good positions with this kind of stuff (another favorite being the setup c4 Nc3 g3 Bg2 e3 Nge2 0-0 etc.). I play the KID as black and usually manage to get easy equality, but it's really annoying to play against London or Colle setups, especially if white doesn't do much.
My problem is that I firmly believe (after 1. d5 d5) that 2. c4 is the best move, and I refuse to play something else, even if it's not inferior in a practical sense.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #13 - 04/16/09 at 01:17:15
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 04/11/09 at 18:48:42:
There is a guy on ICC that plays nothing else and sports a 3000+ blitz rating at times YaacovN I think his name is, extremely boring to watch, but it works for him. His OTB fide rating is about 2200+.

See here:

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2006/05/yaacov-norowitz-lecture...

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2006/05/stonewall-attack.html

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #12 - 04/11/09 at 18:48:42
Post Tools
Colle is an excellent blitz opening, you can whip out the moves mindlessly and quickly without having to pay much attention to what Black is doing.

I noticed against the KID and Dutch setups he usually gets less than nothing, but what he lacks in position he more than makes up for by flagging his opponents.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 04/11/09 at 00:43:41
Post Tools
colle is essentially a drawing weapon. I usually only seen it trotted out when a draw will do. It is very hard for white to win ever. I have never lost to the Colle but also have few wins (5 wins 3 draws and no losses I think) all against higher rateds.

I see people like Polgar and others teach it to kids because it is so simple to learn.

I don't consider it a waste of time but clearly its not in white's interest if he's trying to win or at least try for advantage.

IP Logged

1.b4
YaBB Newbies

I love 1.b4!

Reply #10 - 04/09/09 at 08:01:21
Post Tools
Hi!

I play the Colle only after 1.d4 d5 or 1. ... e6.
After e.g. 1. ... Nf6 i choose the Tromp.

I like the Colle very much, but my results with it are double-edged. You can mow down players with an ELO <1900, but i have never won a single game with it against people like me (~ ELO 2100) or stronger ones. I cannot remember a loss, too but i have to check my games if this is true.

My opinion: a good weapon against players with less theoretical skills or a drawing weapon, if you need one.

[Event "CZE-ch"]&&[Site "Turnov"]&&[Date "1996"]&&[Round "10"]&&[White "Vokac,Marek"]&&[Black "Bazant,Petr Sr"]&&[Eco "A00"]&&1.b4 d5 2.Bb2 Nd7 3.Nf3 Ngf6 4.e3 g6 5.c4 dxc4 6.Bxc4 Bg7 7.Bxf7+&&1-0

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #9 - 02/27/09 at 17:38:05
Post Tools
Looks like 50% people consider Colle as "a waste of time" !!

Any comments ?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 01/29/09 at 00:33:02
Post Tools
You suppose correctly - again a silly typo.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #7 - 01/28/09 at 15:45:58
Post Tools
Quote:
Against the C-K the idea Nc6-b4 is quite irritating, especially when combined with the idea e6-e5 (so Black's Queen goes to c7 or e7 first, I never manage to remember).

I suppose you mean the C-Z.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 01/28/09 at 00:34:43
Post Tools
Dunno. Against the C-K the idea Nc6-b4 is quite irritating, especially when combined with the idea e6-e5 (so Black's Queen goes to c7 or e7 first, I never manage to remember).

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/27/09 at 18:59:23
Post Tools
In my youth I played Colle-Zukertort Wink.
I think right now Susan polgar is recommending it to amateurs.
I consider the Zukertort version superior to the normal colle

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #4 - 01/27/09 at 16:16:20
Post Tools
I have played some times C-K OTB (as White) and I have never lost with it. Ok, black should equalize..., but no more. And, after this, there is a full game plenty of oportunities (I'm talking about ...Nbd7, or ...Nc6 main lines). In many cases black tries to be original..., then, usually, he is lost in less than 30 moves. But even there, exists The Colle Ending, which is a good weapon in hands of an experienced player.

That's my opinion.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/27/09 at 15:35:06
Post Tools
I put never, not because I "consider it a waste of time," but because I consider it less strong than 2.c4.

Want to avoid the Colle?  Answer 1.d4 with 1...resigns!

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 01/27/09 at 12:29:18
Post Tools
Want to avoid the Colle? Answer 1 d4 with 1...e5!

YIM  
IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #1 - 01/21/09 at 18:52:14
Post Tools
I do not play the Colle and probably never will do but I must say it has something. I hate to see my opponent playing it with white and my record against it is quite bad (35-40%). Maybe it is to quiet a type of play for me?!

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo