Latest Updates:
Normal Topic the Bird (Read 2405 times)
realpolitik

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: the Bird
Reply #4 - 01/26/09 at 10:53:27
Post Tools
BlkSabb wrote on 01/22/09 at 21:19:46:
I'm surprised that Flear managed to miss 5...Bc5 6 d3 c6 7 Ba4 d6 8 Bb3(the Emms idea) Nf6 9 Bg5 in his analysis in Dangerous Weapons especially since it's supposed to be an idea of his coauthor John Emms and was the recommendation in coauthor Andrew Greet's Play the Ruy Lopez.  It seems like a pretty important idea to leave out of the chapter.

yeah this is a good point, i bought this dangerous weapons book solely on the basis of the coverage of the bird. i think it was really sloppy of them to leave it out. its one of the lines of the bird that causes black most grief. the thing i like about the bird variation is that it leads to interesting and unusual positions. it doesnt seem like it can be quite correct to move the knight twice so soon in the game but there are still areas which are unexplored. there is an excellent thread here on the forum about the bird with a big contribution by Christoph Wisnewski if you do a little searching

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 01/22/09 at 21:19:46
Post Tools
I'm surprised that Flear managed to miss 5...Bc5 6 d3 c6 7 Ba4 d6 8 Bb3(the Emms idea) Nf6 9 Bg5 in his analysis in Dangerous Weapons especially since it's supposed to be an idea of his coauthor John Emms and was the recommendation in coauthor Andrew Greet's Play the Ruy Lopez.  It seems like a pretty important idea to leave out of the chapter.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #2 - 01/22/09 at 06:57:14
Post Tools
I like Black's 5...h5 idea and would call it Blackbird after the famous song of the Beatles - somehow chess, lyrics and music are very harmonious:

BLACKBIRD

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

IP Logged

urusov

Reply #1 - 01/22/09 at 03:30:01
Post Tools
The Bird Defense creates lots of problems for White.  GMs don't trust it, though they try it occasionally, and the rest of us can have a lot of fun with it.  The only question is what the best line might be.  In "Dangerous Weapons," Flear recommends the 5...Bc5 line, which has become rather standard theory.  But I now think that the "Modern" 5...c6 followed by 6.Bc4 Nf6 is due for a revival.  See my extensive bibliography for ideas, games, and additional resources:
http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2008/11/birds-defense-bibliogra...
Honestly, though, I think Flear's article is sufficient to get you playing the line with success.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

the Bird
01/21/09 at 23:30:44
Post Tools
Hi all,
I am wondering what people think of 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nd4???  Is it playable? Up to what level?
Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo