Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Are Whites more prepared for KID than other lines? (Read 2216 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Are Whites more prepared for KID than other lines?
Reply #5 - 01/28/09 at 01:26:13
Post Tools
With complete frankness, both the King's Indian and the Gruenfeld remain quite mysterious to me.  I play at these very dynamic systems without really understanding them very well.  That's true of me and chess, I guess, except that when I play 1...e5 against 1.e4, or play the Tarrasch, I am pretty sure I know what I'm doing.  Not here.  

On the whole I think that in the Gruenfeld it's much more important to be prepared and to play precisely.  But as to which of these systems it's easier to win with, I honestly could not say.  I tell you one thing, though, and that is that when I play the Gruenfeld, it definitely is not with the idea that I'm going to get a draw.  I have in mind that I'm going to wind up with the better pawns and good piece activity, and eventually win on that basis.  I play Alekhine's in the same spirit.

One thing you really have to consider is that the KID can be played against almost all the closed systems; that isn't true of the Gruenfeld.  If you play the latter, you need something against 1.c4 and 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 -- not so easy a problem to solve.  The other thing is that you can play the KID but Gruenfeld-style versus the fianchetto, or the Gruenfeld and KId-style versus the fianchetto, your choice.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #4 - 01/27/09 at 10:17:01
Post Tools
Personally I think the question is a bit too vague to have an entirely correct answer.

But generally speaking:

a) People who play the King's Indian as Black will naturally be better prepared for the King's Indian as White compared to other openings that are not in their Black repertoire.
b) The majority of people will be better prepared for the KID than for most other openings, as the King's Indian is one of the most common defences to 1.d4, particularly at lower echelons.
c) The more theoretical your KID repertoire is, the better prepared your opponents will be for it. Naturally there will be exceptions, particularly in case 'a', but generally this is correct.

@FightingDragon

Yes, it is easier to win in the King's Indian than in the Grunfeld, but it is also easier to lose as the stakes are raised for both sides, particularly in the main lines where both players are fighting tooth and nail for the initiative.

I wouldn't call the Grunfeld particularly drawish, as in the majority of cases Black has good alternatives that retain the tension in the position, although I do admit that I wouldn't play it in a must-win game.

@Raoh

To say that the KID is by far the most popular variation at club level is a slight exaggeration, but I agree with you. Interestingly a number of club players seem quite clueless against the Bayonet, so it's strong practically as well as theoretically.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/25/09 at 10:05:31
Post Tools
Since I play the closed games, I face the indian defences (king's indian, other indian defences with the same starting position as the kid) most often, so I have to agree I have much more experience against the indian defences, especially the kid. I play the fianchetto, but some time I want to be able to play the bayonnet as 2nd choice, also the kid is the only black defence I plan to have 2nd choice against Wink.
But still the kid is quite a tough nut to crack.

IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/25/09 at 00:00:04
Post Tools
As a 1.d4 player, i must say that i face the KID in about 1/3 of my games with white. I played the Samich and the h3 KID, but now i switched to the Bayonet attack.

The reason why players are so well prepared to face the KID, is that it's by far the most popular opening for club players who know at least a little bit of theory.

IP Logged

FightingDragon

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 01/24/09 at 23:08:01
Post Tools
This is a question that is also interesting to me.
For the last half year I played the Gruenfeld against 1.d4. While I must say that it is a very sound opening and all in all I can be content with it there are two problems that may make me switch to the King's Indian:

1. there are many variations that black must be prepared for well. That means hours of preparation for the games and a strong player can still work out a surprise you can't cope with (at least it happened to me once).

2.some variations are quite drawish, so it's very hard to beat weaker players in them. The Gruenfeld has quite a big drawing margin, which is an advantage against stronger players (although I couldn't win some better positions against stronger players because of that), but a disadvantage against weaker players.

At least I hope it will be easier to win with the King's Indian (which I already played for some years, but not in the last six years), so are white players really so well prepared for the King's Indian?

By the way, I noticed that the forum text says "Complete King's Indian with GM Mikhail Golubev "  Shocked !!! Is that true?

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Are Whites more prepared for KID than other lines?
01/24/09 at 18:06:36
Post Tools
A while ago after being unable to find a line v the KID I was really happy with I decided to turn from poacher to gamekeeper and start playng the KID. I figured I wouldbe prepared as I had looked at most of White's options and seen the best lines for black.

And It had always impressed me that Fischer, Judit Polgar and Kasparov played KID consistently  the 2 best male and best Female.

But I managed only a few games as I found my non 1.e4 opponents (who were about 1800-1900) while I was about 2050 all seemed to be well prepared for the KID, in that they had a system they knew quite well, and I felt they possibly better prepared than they were for other openings.

I suppose that would be natural as KID is so popular and any one venturing a queenside opening would be prepared for it and the KID gives white more of a free hand in choosing his set up.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo