Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Alekhine defence book (Read 61633 times)
tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Re: New Alekhine defence book
Reply #63 - 05/05/10 at 14:55:30
Post Tools
Well, in the pdf-extract you can see the layout: it´s not especially narrow. And most cited games in the notes are given in full! With another layout the content could have easily been printed in (the usual) 192 pages.
Besides, some space is (imo) somewhat wasted. for example, 12 pages to show that black is fine after 4.Nf3 dxe5 5.dxe5 Bg4 ! Also the light treatise of 2.Nc3 e5 is not really necessary. Either you do this in depth or you just mention 2...e5! like Davies did.

Against 4.Bc4 Nb6 5.Bb3 Taylor recommends 5...d5 because 5...dxe5 and 5...Bf5 are "objectively inferior". I do not agree. - The chapters about Kengis and Miles/Carlsen are written in an entertaining style but I doubt if a reader of Cox or Davies, who in the last 5 years has drawn 30 seconds of attention to every GM game in these lines, learns anything substantial new. And too often Taylor says something like ~ "Don´t care about how big white´s small advantage really is - black is almost equal and your opponents will not be able to take use of their space advantage without overextending in time-trouble, you´re not playing Anand" .

It´s not a really bad or boring book but it imo doesn´t take the theory of Alekhine Defence further at any of its critical points.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #62 - 05/04/10 at 21:37:54
Post Tools
That's disappointing, tracke. I thought that surely with more pages available than either Davies or Cox, and a focused repertoire format, he must be able to provide deeper analysis!?

I was particularly looking forward to the chapters on the Kengis, Exchange and Four Pawns. Is there really no original analysis there compared to the Cox, Davies and Burgess (New Ideas) books i already have?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #61 - 05/04/10 at 13:20:18
Post Tools
Got my copy this morning (from Niggemann). After two hours of reading (without seriously checking lines) I´m very much dissapointed: it´s just another Starting Out without contributing real analysis in any line ... The controversial chapter about 5...g6 against 4P is maybe the most interesting: no convincing analysis but at least a collection of some slightly annotated games.
Many repertoire choices are unsual or simply strange (as strange as calling 4e4 the most critical line in the Budapest). Taylor´s chapter about 2Nc3, 2d3, 2f3[sic!] etc. makes me laughing and crying the same time.

For Alekhine beginners 1500-1800 I would rate this book 7 stars (out of 10) though the slightly outdated books from Cox or Davies would do the same job. Experienced Alekhine players 2000+ will need this book only for sake of completeness (3/10).

Maybe it´s me and I don´t understand his creative and thought-provoking style.

tracke  Sad

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: NEW ALEKHINE DEFENCE BOOK
Reply #60 - 04/28/10 at 17:02:31
Post Tools
Looks like Taylor will focus almost entirely on the lines I have considered for Black! In my admittedly rare episodes of Alekhine's wannabe-ism, that is...

The most controversial choice is surely 5...g6 against the 4 pawns; but it's certainly combative.

Also the Miles variation has almost totally replaced the Kengis on GM level, you'd think that the Kengis must be at least somewhat inferior. In that respect I was a bit suprised to see Burgess' "New Ideas in the Alekhine" missing from the bibliography; I thought that was an essential source on the Kengis!?

At least we can rely on Taylor to provide a personal perspective and original, unbiased analysis.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #59 - 04/28/10 at 15:47:47
Post Tools
against the exchange he proposes to take with the e-pawn

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #58 - 04/28/10 at 13:30:28
Post Tools
I ordered it from Amazon with standard delivery and they gave me a delivery date in the second half of May. 

You can go on Amazon and read some of the material in the book, including the intro.  Versus the Modern he treats the Miles and the Kengis.  I could not discern what he proposes versus the Exchange.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #57 - 04/28/10 at 11:47:08
Post Tools
And really available?  Smiley

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #56 - 04/27/10 at 19:42:52
Post Tools
out now

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #55 - 04/23/10 at 22:25:03
Post Tools
Back in the 'coming soon' section now. Yawn.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #54 - 04/22/10 at 11:57:23
Post Tools
It's best to ignore, or at least not to get excited about, all this teasing that the chess publishers do.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 04/22/10 at 04:27:41
Post Tools
I must admit that my interest in the book has waned somewhat. We having awaiting the book for over six months and the time lapse is testing even the strongest attention span. When it is in my hands I will accept it for what it is, of late it has been nothing but anticipation and frustration. Now it has just become boring. Angry

IP Logged

MarkG

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 04/21/10 at 15:17:39
Post Tools
I pre-ordered at Amazon. They are showing "Delivery Estimate: May 21, 2010 - May 25, 2010". This hasn't changed since I placed the order a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully it is reliable.

This book does seem to have had a difficult birth, doesn't it?

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #51 - 04/21/10 at 10:33:14
Post Tools
Really funny

Taylor's book appeared in the coming soon session.
later on we saw a pdf (interesting).
Then, in Amazon we were able to see some excerpts.

Now, the book is no longer in the coming soon section neither in the
out section.

?????!

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #50 - 04/02/10 at 22:56:14
Post Tools
Thanks. The book looks interesting

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #49 - 04/02/10 at 22:38:41
Post Tools
In addition to the .pdf excerpt on Everyman's site there is now a new extract on Amazon's UK site for those interested. An index of games is included, too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo