Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C00-C19: Resources for Possible Repertoire (Read 28771 times)
urusov

Re: Resources for Possible Repertoire
Reply #39 - 11/21/09 at 05:06:20
Post Tools
I also thought of Soltis's "The Fighting French" -- a 1990s Chess Digest pamphlet, out of print but available and actually worthwhile for its discussion of classic games, specifically in the Burn Variation with gxf6, which he recommends playing in hedgehog fashion with b6, Bb7, c6 if necessary etc.  It is not a repertoire but focused just on the Burn.

IP Logged

The French Fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 11/20/09 at 18:57:13
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 11/20/09 at 10:37:28:
The French Fan wrote on 11/20/09 at 08:59:14:
miamisharks wrote on 01/30/09 at 20:25:42:
4. e5 Classical with 7..Be7
4. Bg5 dxe4 5. Nxe4 Be7 6. Bxf6 gxf6
Guimard vs Tarrasch

What you have listed in your request, are not dynamic lines. I prefer the lines suited against the strongest opposition (IM or GM). In my opinion, the Poisoned Pawn or the Black Queen Blues are the best lines for Black.

I don't understand this comment. Yes, the Winawer leads to more irrational position, but that doesn't mean the lines given by miamisharks aren't dynamic. I have played all three and gotten interesting, unbalanced positions (though I have since moved away from the Guimard). To me gaining the bishop pair for a weakened pawn structure and king position certainly qualifies as dynamic!

Maybe we need a ChessPub dictionary with definitions of "aggressive", "dynamic", attacking" and so on!?

Psakhis' Classical French book was good on 6...gxf6, but it's 5 years old now. I would also be prepared for the recommendation in Chess Openings for White, Explained, and look closely at highly publicized White wins like Kasparov-Gurevich, 2000; Shirov-Topalov, 2000 and Ivanchuk-Volkov, 2005 to avoid similar disasters.

Why, those lines might be dynamic, why not, but they entail some unduly risk, cruising for a bruising more often than not. I just don't believe in them. A reliable line to me must be both dynamic and solid. In other words, it should not lead to disaster, if something goes wrong. I presume, White can gain some advantage in the Guimard if he knows the scoop.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #37 - 11/20/09 at 10:37:28
Post Tools
The French Fan wrote on 11/20/09 at 08:59:14:
Guimard vs Tarrasch

What you have listed in your request, are not dynamic lines. I prefer the lines suited against the strongest opposition (IM or GM). In my opinion, the Poisoned Pawn or the Black Queen Blues are the best lines for Black.

I don't understand this comment. Yes, the Winawer leads to more irrational position, but that doesn't mean the lines given by miamisharks aren't dynamic. I have played all three and gotten interesting, unbalanced positions (though I have since moved away from the Guimard). To me gaining the bishop pair for a weakened pawn structure and king position certainly qualifies as dynamic!

Maybe we need a ChessPub dictionary with definitions of "aggressive", "dynamic", attacking" and so on!?

Psakhis' Classical French book was good on 6...gxf6, but it's 5 years old now. I would also be prepared for the recommendation in Chess Openings for White, Explained, and look closely at highly publicized White wins like Kasparov-Gurevich, 2000; Shirov-Topalov, 2000 and Ivanchuk-Volkov, 2005 to avoid similar disasters.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

The French Fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 11/20/09 at 08:59:14
Post Tools
Hola,

I'm a FIDE 2100 player interested in taking up the French. I'd like to create a dynamic French repertoire. Having done some exploration, I like the following lines for black:

Guimard vs Tarrasch

At the present I own John Watson's Dangerous Weapons: The French, which treats the Guimard, and Neil McDonald's "how to play against 1. e4", which discusses the 7...Be7 Classical. I also have a chesspublishing.com subscription. I'd like to know which other resources you Frenchies recommend for the lines I find interesting.

Take care!

Edit: I'm particularly curious about what you recommend for the ...gxf6 lines I am interested in.

Further Edit: Does "Play The French" discuss the ...gxf6 lines?

What you have listed in your request, are not dynamic lines. I prefer the lines suited against the strongest opposition (IM or GM). In my opinion, the Poisoned Pawn or the Black Queen Blues are the best lines for Black. As to the resources, the ones, as far as I know, are 'The Flexible French' by a prominent coach and player GM Victor Moskalenko and 'How to play against 1 e4' by an author at ChessPublishing GM Neil McDonald. The last one is a repertoire book with a focus on the Mc Cutcheon against 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 Bg5.

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

Re: (B) Repertoire book with the French and the Dutch
Reply #35 - 11/17/09 at 14:06:05
Post Tools
You may be right. Sad

Fllg wrote on 11/16/09 at 18:31:43:
HoemberChess wrote on 11/16/09 at 16:57:55:
I have read about the book in a thread here...
What is its title? [/color]

You are probably talking about the book "An Attacking Repertoire for Black" by Sam Collins. Sadly this book has been cancelled some time ago...

as
*W 1d4) Torre/Barry/Pirc/Philidor/ early _d5:early c4(QGD/Slav/QGD/etc)
*B) 1e4:e6 [+1_c5 2Nf3 a6]| 1d4:e6 2c4 Bb4+ BID/pseudoNID [+1_Nf6 NID]| 1c4:c5,_Nc6,_e5,_g6| 1Nf3:c5
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #34 - 11/17/09 at 11:56:03
Post Tools
I put one post in "Solid repertoire" thread about Nigel Davies work

It's a DVD  ... (an e-book)

http://www.chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=468

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: (B) Repertoire book with the French and the Dutch
Reply #33 - 11/16/09 at 18:31:43
Post Tools
HoemberChess wrote on 11/16/09 at 16:57:55:
What is its title? [/color]

You are probably talking about the book "An Attacking Repertoire for Black" by Sam Collins. Sadly this book has been cancelled some time ago...

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

(B) Repertoire book with the French and the Dutch
Reply #32 - 11/16/09 at 17:19:16
Post Tools
I have that one.
No Dutch. (1.d4 e6, 2.c4 Bb4+ and 2.Nf3 Nf6)

Antillian wrote on 11/16/09 at 17:02:54:
Are u sure it was not a DVD?

1...e6: A Solid Repetoire Against 1.d4 and 1.e4 - Nigel Davies (PC-DVD)

as
*B) 1e4:e6 [+1_c5 2Nf3 a6]| 1d4:e6 2c4 Bb4+ BID/pseudoNID [+1_Nf6 NID]| 1c4:c5,_Nc6,_e5,_g6| 1Nf3:c5
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #31 - 11/16/09 at 17:02:54
Post Tools
Are u sure it was not a DVD?

1...e6: A Solid Repetoire Against 1.d4 and 1.e4 - Nigel Davies (PC-DVD)

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

(B) Repertoire book with the French and the Dutch
Reply #30 - 11/16/09 at 16:57:55
Post Tools
There is a new repertoire book for Black that offers 1..e6 versus both 1.e4/1.d4 (French/Dutch)
What is its title?

as
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Zatox

Reply #29 - 03/01/09 at 17:49:48
Post Tools
I'm also planning on building almost the same repetoire. Maybe we can look at it together sometime

My idea:
dxe4 gxf6 against burn
Nc6 and 0-0-0 against the exchange
Steinitz with 9...0-0 and withouth chopping a million times on d4

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

Harvey Williamson

Reply #28 - 02/16/09 at 19:59:40
Post Tools
bigbelly wrote on 01/30/09 at 22:13:33:
Watson’s Play the French covers the 4. Bg5 dxe4 5. Nxe4 Be7 6. Bxf6 line, but not the gxf6 lines.

I think both the Watson book and Moskalenko’s The Flexible French are very good books to have if you plan to play the French – especially at the expert/master level.

For gxf6 coverage you could look at Psakhis’ book on the classical French or Byron Jacobs’ French Classical.

There was a book by Soltis called The Fighting French where he uses gxf6 as his main line.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #27 - 02/12/09 at 05:21:28
Post Tools
STEFANOS wrote on 02/11/09 at 20:04:49:
miamisharks wrote on 02/11/09 at 19:47:51:
Stefanos,

I apologize in advance, but you seem like a jerk. And there was definitely nothing of use in your post.

Edit: And since you're brilliant enough to assess my strength based on a couple posts, you must be a Grandmaster?

May I am a Jerk , but even before I start to think to play an opening and I have a very limited repertoire. I play through some games, I see who position I like more. Later I see what are the resulting endgame positions, what are the middle game etc. It is what they trained me to do. To find dynamic positions in the classical gxf6 it is quite possible, but do you like the resulting positions ? Ferrari is a very dynamic car, but can you drive it ?  That's the case. Of course, I am not a GM and my rating it is much lower than yours. But I play what I like, love to see, that's the fun. Spend
Your time well and have a good time.

www.englishpage.com/

I hope you can comprehend the words used on the webpage so that it is of use to you.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 02/11/09 at 20:04:49
Post Tools
miamisharks wrote on 02/11/09 at 19:47:51:
Stefanos,

I apologize in advance, but you seem like a jerk. And there was definitely nothing of use in your post.

Edit: And since you're brilliant enough to assess my strength based on a couple posts, you must be a Grandmaster?

May I am a Jerk , but even before I start to think to play an opening and I have a very limited repertoire. I play through some games, I see who position I like more. Later I see what are the resulting endgame positions, what are the middle game etc. It is what they trained me to do. To find dynamic positions in the classical gxf6 it is quite possible, but do you like the resulting positions ? Ferrari is a very dynamic car, but can you drive it ?  That's the case. Of course, I am not a GM and my rating it is much lower than yours. But I play what I like, love to see, that's the fun. Spend
Your time well and have a good time.

IP Logged

miamisharks
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 02/11/09 at 19:47:51
Post Tools
Stefanos,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo