Latest Updates:
Normal Topic attacking the Ruy (Read 1794 times)
TN
YaBB Moderator

Re: attacking the Ruy
Reply #1 - 02/04/09 at 06:41:50
Post Tools
Zatara wrote on 02/04/09 at 03:06:02:
Hi all,
Thanks for reading.
1. what is the reputation of the Archangel in the Ruy?  It isn't nearly played as much as say the Marshall.  Is there a line that makes it no good or is it just fashion?
2. Which can be recommened vs the Ruy for the "attacking player":
A. Archangel
B. Open
c. Zaitsev
D Moeller
3.  I also thought the shcleman (3...f5) but I think 4d3 is good for white
I also thought of (...Nge7) and then Fianchettoing the king's bishop this seems better than schleman.  Is that true??

Thanks,
Zatara

I'm not an expert on the Ruy, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. If I recall correctly, there are two versions of the Archangelsk: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 b5 6.Bb3 Bc5 and 6...Bb7. According to my database, the Marshall is only played slightly more often than the 6...Bc5 or 6...Bb7 Archangelsk.

I don't know the current state of theory in this line, but last time I checked White was slightly better in a very complicated theoretical variation. Still, this shouldn't really worry a prospective black player, as there aren't any variations I know of where White can 'kill' the game.

2. Out of all your given choices, I would say the Archangelsk. In my view the Open Ruy Lopez is more of a strategic, positional struggle than a tactical one (with the obvious exception of the Dilworth Variation, which in my opinion is a promising practical choice).

The Moeller doesn't have the highest of theoretical reputations and the Zaitsev is quite dynamic, but if White plays the sharpest lines, then he usually has the most fun trying to get his attack through on the kingside (at least from the games I have seen, e.g. Kasparov-Karpov matches and Anand-Adams, San Luis 2005).

3. The Schliemann isn't a bad choice, but as you stated 4.d3 seems more pleasant for White. However, Black can quickly drum up a dangerous attack against dubious play by White.

The 3...Nge7 and 4...g6 system is a good practical choice - from the games I have seen, very few players have had any clue of what to do against this system, although I wouldn't gamble with it against a GM. I don't think it's objectively any better than the Schliemann, but it's tricky, in a different way to the Schliemann.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

attacking the Ruy
02/04/09 at 03:06:02
Post Tools
Hi all,
Thanks for reading.
1. what is the reputation of the Archangel in the Ruy?  It isn't nearly played as much as say the Marshall.  Is there a line that makes it no good or is it just fashion?
2. Which can be recommened vs the Ruy for the "attacking player":
A. Archangel
B. Open
c. Zaitsev
D Moeller
3.  I also thought the shcleman (3...f5) but I think 4d3 is good for white
I also thought of (...Nge7) and then Fianchettoing the king's bishop this seems better than schleman.  Is that true??

Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo