Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Davies Closed Sicilian DVD (Read 9528 times)
boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Davies Closed Sicilian DVD
Reply #10 - 03/27/09 at 12:27:28
Post Tools
Ok, maybe I was to harsh. Indeed usually these DVDs are at least a good introduction to an opening. Certainly there are some very good DVDs(like Shirovs or Kazims), good DVDs(Tiviakov,some of Davis) and acceptable DVDs.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #9 - 03/26/09 at 18:34:48
Post Tools
The video was finished a month ago, and given the time between videos, and the fact that he has played pretty much every system he talks about (I think his attacking e4 repertoire might have exceptions in it, like the Na3 Sicilian) means the DVD's are of acceptable quality. I do think he warrants some criticism however, on some of the videos (like those queen pawn ones).

A couple of months ago I got Davies' English Opening DVD. Although it is good, I can confirm it's missing a KID section. Oddly enough, I get that about 25% of the time. So sometimes the presentation is a bit too shall we say, impractical. Covering theory that might be  rarely seen at amateur level is what I'm talking about. Usually Martin avoids this, but his KID work doesn't really cover much. What it does cover is more like a survey or exploration and nothing in-depth. His Slav FritzTrainer is much better in this regard, practical and offering a repertoire, but unfortunately already out of date (on 5.a4). So, in general, if the DVD covers a standard opening seen at all or most levels and that you're likely to encounter, then it's it's usually great.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 03/26/09 at 17:15:56
Post Tools
boki wrote on 03/26/09 at 16:56:53:
How good researched can a DVD be, when he is publishing nearly every two weeks on  an opening.

He must be really an expert in ALL openings...

I think that's a bit off the mark.  A GM should be able to rather quickly put together a decent introduction to any number of openings (especially when it has to do with advocating one side or the other), based on presenting a few thematic games.  It's not as though these videos are high-level theoretical treatises.  

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/26/09 at 16:56:53
Post Tools
How good researched can a DVD be, when he is publishing nearly every two weeks on  an opening.

He must be really an expert in ALL openings...

IP Logged

Scott

Why did I just move that?!

Reply #6 - 03/26/09 at 03:51:54
Post Tools
I'll be very interested to read some reviews of this DVD.  Smiley

My style is somewhere between that of Petrosian and Tal.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #5 - 03/25/09 at 18:27:17
Post Tools

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 02/19/09 at 18:59:32
Post Tools
Yes, it's lovely toplay against the closed sicilian, especially the reversed !

IP Logged

notyetagm

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 02/10/09 at 20:34:24
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 02/07/09 at 15:12:41:
I think there's some truth to this.  Up to a certain level, I found the Closed Sicilian to be an effective weapon.  Beyond that, I found it hard to get much in this opening, and I gradually transitioned to the Open.  This is not to say that the Closed is a bad opening against higher-rated opposition -- it is playable, and you get a decent and level game -- it's just that, in my view, it doesn't seem to test Black as much as the Open.

Yes, one of my friends is a near expert (USCF 1980) Sicilian Sveshnikov player and he absolutely loves it when White does not play the Open Sicilian.

He has a tremendous score in these non-Open Sicilian lines. He feels that White has absolutely no advantage playing the anti-Sicilians against him.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/09 at 15:12:41
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 02/05/09 at 22:34:23:
Before what's his name beats me to it, it seems Nigel Davies will be putting out a new DVD on the Closed Sicilian. When I was playing e4, I briefly tried this with some success. But is it worth it? Or is it one of those openings that against the well prepared gives you zero? What I mean by that is no chances for attacking the King.

I think there's some truth to this.  Up to a certain level, I found the Closed Sicilian to be an effective weapon.  Beyond that, I found it hard to get much in this opening, and I gradually transitioned to the Open.  This is not to say that the Closed is a bad opening against higher-rated opposition -- it is playable, and you get a decent and level game -- it's just that, in my view, it doesn't seem to test Black as much as the Open.

IP Logged

notyetagm

Reply #1 - 02/06/09 at 22:16:53
Post Tools
Glad to hear it. I need a good weapon against the Sicilian.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

New Davies Closed Sicilian DVD
02/05/09 at 22:34:23
Post Tools
Before what's his name beats me to it, it seems Nigel Davies will be putting out a new DVD on the Closed Sicilian. When I was playing e4, I briefly tried this with some success. But is it worth it? Or is it one of those openings that against the well prepared gives you zero? What I mean by that is no chances for attacking the King.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo