Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 4 Pawns Attack (Read 24362 times)
miamisharks
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: 4 Pawns Attack
Reply #4 - 02/09/09 at 22:20:57
Post Tools
Thanks guys, interesting stuff. Vs the Dutch I was thinking about the lines with c4+Nc3, and h2-h4 if confronted by the Leningrad. Vs the Benko, what do you think of the Zaitsev?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/09/09 at 14:51:11
Post Tools
miamisharks wrote on 02/09/09 at 05:08:05:
Hey guys,

First time poster in the KID forum. I'm interested in the 4 Pawns vs the KID and Benoni. Which resources do you guys recommend? I'm planning to get the Vaisser book and the new-ish Russell Enterprises book. For reference, I'm FIDE 2100 and 21 years old. I've been a lifetime 1. e4 player and I want to create a high-velocity, attacking 1. d4 repertoire.

Interesting.  When I was 21 I was also rated about 2100, I also switched to 1.d4 wanting an attacking repertoire, and I also took up the 4PA.  This system is a very easy transition for a 1.e4 player.  You can also play it against the Modern Benoni, or you can take the trouble to learn Taimanov's Bb5+ in combination with the an early f4.

In addition to the works mentioned here, there's an in-print book in German on the 4PA that is also worth having.  It's named, prosaically, Konigsindische Verteidigung: Vierbauern-Angriff.  It's accessible since it's written in straightforward chess German.

I recommend you look at 4.a3 or 4.f3 against the Nimzo and the Exchange Gruenfeld with Nf3 and Rb1.  There's a book by Yakovich that'll get you started.

The latest thinking is that the Staunton with 4.Bg5 Nc6! 5.d5 Ne5 6.Qe2! gives White good chances against 1...f5.  However you still have to play against the Dutch unless you want to switch back to your 1.e4 repertoire when confronted with 1...d6 or 1...e6, both of which can lead to a Dutch when 2.c4 is played.  I don't think the Dutch in any of its forms is a very big challenge in principle, but it would be very new terrain indeed for a 1.e4 player.  So would the Czech Benoni, so I suggest you take a very hard look at that and decide how you should play against it.

The Benko can also be trouble for someone used to wide-open chess.  The easiest transition for a 1.e4 player would probably be to the system with 5.e3, though it is not nowadays supposed to be White's best.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 02/09/09 at 14:29:28
Post Tools
I love the 4-pawns, and have played it as my main weapon against the KID for as long as I've been playing 1. d4. I think both "Beating the KID and Benoni" and "The Fearsome Four Pawns Attack" are both great books. The former is written by an expert on the 4P's, and is quite good, with more explanation, but still a lot of theory. Sometimes I prefer to use this book because it's a little easier to follow and learn from. The Fearsome Four Pawns Attack is much denser, thicker, and contains a lot more information. Also, it gives some more aggressive treatments than in Vaisser's book. I'd say both are worth having. A lot of times when I'm preparing a line in the 4P's I use Vaisser's book first to try to understand everything and build the theory up, then I use the Fearsome Four to extend my knowledge and as a reference after I've played the line in question a few times. Get both! Cheesy

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/09/09 at 06:04:37
Post Tools
Moskalenko's Yearbook Surveys on the 4 Pawns are well worth studying. They provide White with some little-known yet very tricky ideas that the author himself has implemented very successfully. Generally speaking, White's game is usually somewhat easier to play, although Black should be able to eventually attain complete equality if he plays precisely.
« Last Edit: 02/10/09 at 05:38:18 by TN »  

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

miamisharks
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

4 Pawns Attack
02/09/09 at 05:08:05
Post Tools
Hey guys,

First time poster in the KID forum. I'm interested in the 4 Pawns vs the KID and Benoni. Which resources do you guys recommend? I'm planning to get the Vaisser book and the new-ish Russell Enterprises book. For reference, I'm FIDE 2100 and 21 years old. I've been a lifetime 1. e4 player and I want to create a high-velocity, attacking 1. d4 repertoire.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo