Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How to handle QGA 3.e4 as Black (Read 2887 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: How to handle QGA 3.e4 as Black
Reply #3 - 02/09/09 at 19:06:44
Post Tools
slates wrote on 02/09/09 at 18:49:40:
In the third edition Semkov also feels that Black is fine and has an interesting system against 3e4 with 3...Nc6, but notes that at the highest level it may not be fully adequate.

Markovich posted some interesting QGA analysis here, incidentally;

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1230744413

I probably should buy this third edition.  Drat.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/09 at 18:49:40
Post Tools
In the third edition Semkov also feels that Black is fine and has an interesting system against 3e4 with 3...Nc6, but notes that at the highest level it may not be fully adequate.

Markovich posted some interesting QGA analysis here, incidentally;

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1230744413

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/09/09 at 13:26:41
Post Tools
smrex13 wrote on 02/09/09 at 10:16:04:
Hi Everyone,

I've been tinkering with my response to 1.d4 (generally 1...d5), and I find that I prefer the QGA to both the Slav and the QGD.  However, the line with 3.e4 is difficult to handle.  I know that many top players are willing to play the QGA in important games, so the line can't be too devastating.  Nevertheless, I'm still debating between 3...e5, 3....Nc6, and 3...Nf3 (which is giving me my best results).  I'm not up on the latest theory, but I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the 3.e4 line.  Is there a consensus on the best line for black?  Does White have a path to a 'two result' game?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

Rizzitano's book advocates 3...e5, which I think is the consensus safe bet.  I have the first two editions of the Chess Stars QGA book, and at least in the second they maintain that 3...Nc6 is OK for Black.  I have no idea what they say in the third edition.

However I think 3...Nc6 is the most dynamic and therefore, to me, the most attractive.  I've played it once or twice with good success.  However in my QGA games so far, I haven't encountered 3.e4 too much.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

smrex13

How to handle QGA 3.e4 as Black
02/09/09 at 10:16:04
Post Tools
Hi Everyone,

I've been tinkering with my response to 1.d4 (generally 1...d5), and I find that I prefer the QGA to both the Slav and the QGD.  However, the line with 3.e4 is difficult to handle.  I know that many top players are willing to play the QGA in important games, so the line can't be too devastating.  Nevertheless, I'm still debating between 3...e5, 3....Nc6, and 3...Nf3 (which is giving me my best results).  I'm not up on the latest theory, but I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the 3.e4 line.  Is there a consensus on the best line for black?  Does White have a path to a 'two result' game?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

"Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain"  - Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo