Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Thoughts on Van Wely DVD on Sveshnikov (Read 1758 times)
TN
YaBB Moderator

Re: Thoughts on Van Wely DVD on Sveshnikov
Reply #1 - 02/21/09 at 23:02:38
Post Tools
www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen96.pdf

This review gives the DVD 3 stars out of 5 (I assume this is the review you referred to).

Generally speaking, an opening book gives you more theoretical information than a DVD, although some of the DVD's do a good job of exemplifying the main ideas.

'The Easiest Sicilian' and 'Starting Out: The Sveshnikov' should provide you with ample theory to play the Sveshnikov. However, if you play the Novosibirsk Variation as Black, then you should have a look at Anand-Radjabov from the first round of Linares 2009, where Radjabov tried the new move 28...Bf8, but it didn't work out. Kolev/Nedev prefer 23...e4!; Anand had probably prepared something against this, though.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Thoughts on Van Wely DVD on Sveshnikov
02/17/09 at 14:25:15
Post Tools
I've only seen one review of this DVD and it was so-so; if anyone has Van Wely's DVD, I'd appreciate thoughts on whether it would be a good primer for someone who is looking for a general overview from both sides of the board  (like me Smiley ).

I know Shirov has one out also, but I have his DVD on the Najdorf and I thought it was somewhat superficial (this may be the minority view on this DVD). I have Mr. Kasparov's 3-set tome which I found more helpful (even if he does go through some of the lines at lightening speed!), so anything might appear superficial compared to that 10-12 hour extravaganza!  I have The Easiest Sicilian and the Starting Out book already, but I enjoy popping in a DVD as a quick 15-20 minute lesson or refresher on some lines from time to time.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo