Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Wing Gambit a la Benko!? (Read 2214 times)
trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Wing Gambit a la Benko!?
Reply #3 - 03/13/09 at 12:35:50
Post Tools
however sometimes the winggambit does play alot like the evansgambit in certain lines (often improved versions of it!) and most commonly it plays like the FRENCH wing gambit which it can often just directly transpose into. In general though white is pushing for active pieces instead of sound positional and endgame play (pawn structure is usually too ruined for this). A key different theme between Benko and Sicillian Winggambit. In Benko, trading the light square bishops is not only common but good for black because it occurs so early as to force the white king to manually castle in most theoretical lines. In wing gambit, the dark square bishop usually becomes whites most important piece (placing it actively wherever possible!) while white is happy to trade the light square bishops.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 03/11/09 at 00:43:02
Post Tools
True eough. The Sicilian Wing and the Benko Gambits are very different.

YIM  
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/08/09 at 15:30:49
Post Tools
The structure is quite different.  White doesn't get the compact single island Black gets in the Benko; there are more half-open files and more going on in the center; a kingside fianchetto (an important element of the queenside pressure in the Benko) would be problematic etc.

IP Logged

Unownasofyet
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Wing Gambit a la Benko!?
03/08/09 at 14:45:29
Post Tools
I have been going through a few Wing Gambit games, and I am thinking "why isn't this just a reversed Benko?" After 1.e4, c5 2.b4, cb 3.a3, d5 4.ed, Qd5 5.Nf3, e5 6.ab, Bb4 7.c3, why can't white play a la Benko Gambit with queenside pressure? Black can't get a big center like the normal Benko, and white's pieces are very active. Why isn't this played?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo