Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) recognizing tactics (Read 6427 times)
swingdoc

Improving One Day at a
Time

Re: recognizing tactics
Reply #2 - 04/11/09 at 08:30:26
Post Tools
Play a lot of (blitz) games. You likely just need more practice in game settings. Understanding Chess Tactics by Weteschnik might be useful. That book helps you learn how to see the indicators that a tactical shot might be present.

Oh, also - How many times did you do the problems in CT-ART? I've found repetition is extremely important in tactical training. i.e. Do the 10, 20 and 30 "difficulty" problems 5 or 6 times each and see if that helps.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: recognizing tactics
Reply #1 - 04/10/09 at 21:10:37
Post Tools
I recommend reading Vukoic's art of attack if you haven't already.

I also suggest using http://chess.emrald.net/ to develop your tactical sense.

Not so much about getting them right or but it will quickly make you identify the characteristics of the positions.

Also you may notice a theme to the type of problems you are missing (which then you can fill this by utilizing CTART).

IP Logged

Sandman

recognizing tactics
04/10/09 at 17:25:59
Post Tools
I need some advice please.

I’ve gone thru CT-ART with over an expert rating (2059). Place a book/board in front of me and tell me mate in 2, mate in 4, or white wins material, etc and I can usually get it. However, in a tournament, with the clock ticking, I tend to miss these tactical opportunities or I see them too late. 
How can I improve this area of my game so I can recognize these tactical shots without neon signs flashing overhead???   Huh

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo