Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pirc/modern (Read 3658 times)
Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Re: Pirc/modern
Reply #3 - 06/07/09 at 23:49:37
Post Tools
The Pirc has been played by Ponomariov, Beliavsky, M. Gurevich, Vallejos and all of them are over 2600. Although they do noy play on a regular base. I think Pirc is OK for swiss tournament when you have to win every game. Perhaps is not as good for the Big Boys becuase they play close tournaments and they need to draw as black.

GTalk  
IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 04/26/09 at 12:33:24
Post Tools
Zatara wrote on 04/26/09 at 03:46:56:
Hi all,
I am wondering till what level can one play the Pirc/Modern?  

If you are at the level where you need to ask this question, then sure, you can play it.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/26/09 at 06:37:59
Post Tools
Not decided yet? Been asking for the last couple of years right? Just pick and play. Chinese Dragon and Dragondorf - right, off you go and play.

Pirc - fine up to I dunno 2650? Ask a 2700. Read Vigus' intro in the pirc book.

Schev sicilian requires A LOT of work - start with Pritchett book and work through Adorjan, Kasparov games and analyses.

Archangel is also tough. Shirov, Adams, Nickoloff. See also Moller games.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Pirc/modern
04/26/09 at 03:46:56
Post Tools
Hi all,
I am wondering till what level can one play the Pirc/Modern?  Or should I say at what level is it harder to play for a win vs better players?   for example such a question about 1....c5 and 1...e5 would yield up through Super GM level.  I ask because it will help me dicide which to play: I am thinking Schevenigen sicilian and Archangel in the Ruy. 
Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo