Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CHESS STARS new KID book for BLACK (Read 77067 times)
boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: CHESS STARS new KID book for BLACK
Reply #125 - 07/24/09 at 11:45:20
Post Tools
Right, dense, theoretical, but with many suggestions by Bologan and many games played by him.
Of course some variations are equal or a draw, this is a repertoire from a 2700 Player, you cannot win with black at this level at order. At a lower level if you must play for a win, you still can try to deviate and play on an inferior position

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #124 - 07/24/09 at 09:45:33
Post Tools
It's not perfect as those who like explanations may find this lacking. As far as repertoire goes, some lines seem to be a draw........which may not be to everyone taste. Some lines are barely in the notes.

However, the rest is great - thoroughly recommended but make no mistake this is an opening book for those who already know a thing or two about the KID.

I guess this review is similar to Top Notch's assesment !

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #123 - 07/24/09 at 07:04:12
Post Tools
The review was very favourable, but of course only Golubev himself can post it here Wink

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #122 - 07/23/09 at 22:55:05
Post Tools
I think if you want to see material that everyone else has to pay for, you should pay for it. I doubt Tony would be too happy if people were posting entire excerpts from Chess Today in his forums.

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #121 - 07/23/09 at 19:06:58
Post Tools
And? Can you post review here?

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #120 - 07/23/09 at 15:51:40
Post Tools
He reviewed it briefly in chess today

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #119 - 07/23/09 at 13:36:27
Post Tools
Chess Stars claims that GM Golubev will review this book.

Any news Mr. Golubev?

IP Logged

buffos
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #118 - 07/21/09 at 10:45:35
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 07/14/09 at 13:09:42:
Can anyone tell us how Bologan's book compares to Semkov's book on the 4p attack? Has Semkov refuted the line Bologan offers?  Wink

They do not intersect.

@Topnotch.

Semkov's book has very original material, and its logical not to mention any bibliography, since almost none of the variations in there are in any book.
The d6-e6 variation , is not considered in any book.

As for Bologan's book, its very nice, although i think the material he has to cover cannot be exausted in one volume, so alot is missing (if you compare to the density of Khalifman's approach to openings).

I like both books though.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #117 - 07/17/09 at 12:04:47
Post Tools
I received this book a few days ago, and I've been enjoying going over it.  It's all rather personal, which is entertaining.  There are a lot of interesting chess ideas, and it's good that Bologan usually offers options for Black.

I do think I agree with TopNotch that there is not much of the sort of elementary explanation that would be useful to players under, oh, 2000 or so.  But I think that even then the book contains so many specific ideas that would be quite useful.  We learn by example, as well.

The edition is attractive and nicely printed.

The English is vastly improved from Chess Stars' former standard.  My only complaint is that the editor (or translator, I do not know which) allowed many expressions of the form subject-verb-adverb-object, which is rather strange English, to pass through into the book.  "White protects well the e-pawn," for example.  I know the French talk this way, I don't know who else does.  Apparently it's a Slavic thing as well?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #116 - 07/15/09 at 02:01:31
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 07/14/09 at 13:09:42:
Can anyone tell us how Bologan's book compares to Semkov's book on the 4p attack? Has Semkov refuted the line Bologan offers?  Wink

After studying Bologan's book it is not clear to me whether he was aware of Semkov's exact analysis after 13.d6, as his recommendation in that line was not particularly in depth, but moreso concentrated on telling the reader where Black should place his pieces in the short term and emphasizing the need for urgency in his queenside counterplay. For what its worth I don't think the line that Bologan suggests against 13.d6 is covered by Semkov, perhaps he will address it in KILL KID 2.

Bologan does cover the FPA line with 9...Bg4 quite well, particularly after  11.Re1 Re8, and even though his coverage of 11.h3 does not directly address the analysis found in Semkov's book, is still contains plenty food for thought.  

I still believe that Bologan's book is largely unsuitable for players below 2000, but perhaps what I should have said was that Gallaghers Starting Out The Kings Indian served that target audience much better. In any case anyone interested in the KID should have em all in their library. Moreover, from observation, suggesting that an Opening book is over the heads of a certain rating category only makes them want the book even more. Wink  

Regards,

Toppy Smiley  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #115 - 07/14/09 at 23:46:09
Post Tools
GMGolubev wrote on 07/12/09 at 22:54:26:
TopNotch wrote on 07/09/09 at 01:13:00:
I've had the book for some time now and I wouldn't recommend it for players below 2000 or those with little experience on the Black side of the KID.

For those who wish to become "above 2000" (and more generally for the "Black" players who wish to improve their play in this opening), Bologan's book can be confidentlly recommended, in my opinion: there are quite enough explanations if the book is used for the preparation of the opening.

Interesting. Thanks for commenting on this Mr. Golubev.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #114 - 07/14/09 at 13:09:42
Post Tools
Can anyone tell us how Bologan's book compares to Semkov's book on the 4p attack? Has Semkov refuted the line Bologan offers?  Wink

IP Logged

GMGolubev

ChessPublishing KID

Reply #113 - 07/12/09 at 22:54:26
Post Tools
I've had the book for some time now and I wouldn't recommend it for players below 2000 or those with little experience on the Black side of the KID.

For those who wish to become "above 2000" (and more generally for the "Black" players who wish to improve their play in this opening), Bologan's book can be confidentlly recommended, in my opinion: there are quite enough explanations if the book is used for the preparation of the opening.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #112 - 07/09/09 at 17:10:45
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 07/09/09 at 16:13:33:
you have very little to fear from 1.d4.

Toppy Smiley          

"d4 - Second best by test" -  Wink

Brave words, 1.e4-boy.  Smiley

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #111 - 07/09/09 at 16:13:33
Post Tools
you have very little to fear from 1.d4.

Toppy Smiley          

"d4 - Second best by test" -  Wink

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo