Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dismantling the Sicilian (Read 101199 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Dismantling the Sicilian
Reply #27 - 09/29/09 at 09:48:46
Post Tools
No idea as to overall analysis but it does seem like it might be more internally consistent.

I would strongly advise to at least seriously try playing Sicilian main lines. Not so much because you'll score hugely better than with 2 c3 - as ever you're likely to do a little worse in the short term - but you will get exposure to a wide variety of exceedingly rich positions. Long term that can only help I think. Very self limiting to not at least try the open sicillian.

Of course if you're after actual improvement then its back to studying stuff like tactics and other such things Smiley

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #26 - 09/28/09 at 11:01:55
Post Tools
Thanks for replies!

I wonder how this book compares with Aagaard's "Experts vs Sicilian". In intro of the book author stresses that given repertoire has fluidness with other recommended lines. That should be very good.

As Sicilian Alapin (2.c3) player, I do wonder if I should buy this book and to skip on mainline Sicilian. I'm at 2100, but will I breach Elo 2200 if I study this book, regarding Silian mainlines.

Thanks, all good comments are welcome!

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 09/28/09 at 09:20:28
Post Tools
Especially justified as these lines really aren't especially hard for white to at least make a decent stab at playing. Harder against 6 .. e5 stuff in the  Nardojf I suppose.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #24 - 09/26/09 at 07:49:20
Post Tools
The repertoire is based primarily around the English Attack setup f3, Be3, Qd2 and 0-0-0, as stated in the given pdf excerpt. To cover such an aggressive and theoretical setup in a repertoire book is very ambitious, but in my view entirely justified. To answer rossia's question in the other thread here, it looks like this book is aimed at 1600-2200 players, although I will certainly purchase a copy.

I will be particularly interested in de la Villa's opinion on the English Attack against the Najdorf, since the large number of recent Yearbook surveys on lines such as 8...Be7 9.f3 h5, 9...0-0 and 8...Bb4 9.f3 0-0 suggest that Black should fully equalise.
« Last Edit: 09/26/09 at 21:21:57 by TN »  

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #23 - 09/25/09 at 13:30:04
Post Tools

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #22 - 07/25/09 at 13:10:01
Post Tools
The text is now changed to "Former Spanish Champion and successful chess coach Jesus de la Villa presents a complete repertoire for White after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3."

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 07/17/09 at 19:00:59
Post Tools
I agree is is certainly a typo, the cover really shows Nf3 ! Stange advertise...

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #20 - 07/17/09 at 18:01:12
Post Tools
I would have to guess that it's a typo. I would hazard a guess that this is just a translation and update of his Spanish book, "Desmontando la Siciliana". I doubt he'll write a new repertoire on the Closed or the Grand Prix. No one would buy that garbage!  Grin

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 07/17/09 at 17:51:45
Post Tools
Watsonfox wrote on 07/17/09 at 09:36:41:
According to New in chess this book will be a repertoire based on 2.Nc3.  Sad

But how followed -- Closed, Grand Prix, a Bb5 system, Nf3/e2 and d4, some combination of these?

IP Logged

Volcanor

Reply #18 - 07/17/09 at 14:01:33
Post Tools
You can find information on New in Chess' website, Book publishing program.

They state: "Former Spanish Champion and successful chess coach Jesus de la Villa presents a complete repertoire for White after 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3. Each variation is clearly organized with its history, ideas, statistics, examples of tactics and strategies, and instructive games."

But a close look at the book's cover shows a white pawn on e4 and Knight on f3 against a black pawn on c5. So, there is still hope for the Open Sicilian addicts!

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 07/17/09 at 11:34:27
Post Tools
Where do you have this information from ?
The first edition was open siv´cilian, an approach with Nc3 would be a huge dissappointment

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #16 - 07/17/09 at 10:12:42
Post Tools
Watsonfox wrote on 07/17/09 at 09:36:41:

Indeed, although this doesn't rule out the Open Sicilian if White follows up with 3.Nf3/3.Nge2 and 4.d4.

However, it may be better from a marketing point of view to provide an Anti-Sicilian repertoire, as such a repertoire could be covered in more detail and with more new ideas for White than a repertoire book on the Open Sicilian. Personally I would prefer an Open Sicilian repertoire, though.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Watsonfox
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 07/17/09 at 09:36:41
Post Tools

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 05/30/09 at 18:15:31
Post Tools
MilenPetrov wrote on 05/30/09 at 15:12:30:
boki wrote on 05/29/09 at 22:32:56:
Milen, how much do you acually remember during a game from a repertoire book like the Khalifman-Series?
I think if yo focu on lines, which are really played, it coulb be quite good, Nunns BTS and Experts vs sicilian were also very good books

I am a correspondence player and I use every source I have access to in order to improve my own opening repertoire. I need a high quality and in depth information, but not only a short overview. So this book certainly will not cover my expectations.

well there is always the odd chance that they might have an idea that will improve your opening repertoire...

IP Logged

MilenPetrov

Winnie the Pooh Rules
:)

Reply #13 - 05/30/09 at 15:12:30
Post Tools
boki wrote on 05/29/09 at 22:32:56:
Milen, how much do you acually remember during a game from a repertoire book like the Khalifman-Series?
I think if yo focu on lines, which are really played, it coulb be quite good, Nunns BTS and Experts vs sicilian were also very good books

I am a correspondence player and I use every source I have access to in order to improve my own opening repertoire. I need a high quality and in depth information, but not only a short overview. So this book certainly will not cover my expectations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo