Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Learning the Ruy Lopez (Read 4075 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Learning the Ruy Lopez
Reply #3 - 06/01/09 at 11:51:38
Post Tools
Personally I would start with White's play against the Chigorin Defense.  That in some ways is the fundamental closed defense to the Spanish.  I would also be sure to study the Open.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 05/31/09 at 09:35:24
Post Tools
I started a similar approach a while back. Actually I started with "Easy Guide to the Ruy Lopez" which is actually based on mainlines and seguayed into Khalifmann quite well. Note both works are years out of date though, but my solution was as follows.

I created a repetoire Database based on all the lines in bold in Khalifmans book, and did a repetoire scan to give me some games to study.

Then based on that somewhat skeletal study, the plan is to get playing, suck up the defeats and then consult the theory.

I had also picked up quite a lot from the Lopez via osmosis over the years of playing through so many games of it, so I had a background in the ideas.

Of the sharp lines, I studied the Schliemann first, as I thought it popular at my level.

The sharp lines weren't as bad as I'd thought, although I was side-stepping the Marshall, that one's a big bad boy!

I find the closed strategic lines the most difficult vs experienced Black players, but practical experience is needed here.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/31/09 at 09:22:33
Post Tools
My approach would be to begin with the strategic lines by playing through and analysing some games of the champions for the white side, even older ones like Karpov. The games between Kasparov (white) and Karpov (black) are excellent study material for the Zaitsev.

Only after doing that I would look at the theory.

Fllg

IP Logged

Watsonfox
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Learning the Ruy Lopez
05/31/09 at 08:50:13
Post Tools
I have decided to learn the Ruy Lopez as white. I have got opening according to Annand vols 1+2. However I don't know where to start, should I start with the Chigorin or sharper variations like the marshall and zasitev? Or should I work through the sidelines first?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo