Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Birds of a Different Feather (Read 5467 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Birds of a Different Feather
Reply #8 - 06/15/09 at 01:56:49
Post Tools
You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1209432759

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

linksspringer

Reply #7 - 06/14/09 at 23:04:33
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 06/14/09 at 21:13:00:
Jormechea wrote on 06/14/09 at 17:06:54:
That i fair enough about 1...c5. Sicilian players have always been stuburn and love thier opening. I know I used to play it  quite often! I play 2.e4 and get an interesting sicilian oftentimes with out playing Nc3. I learned the system from IM Taylors book.

I find 1.f4 c5 2.e4 also interesting - for Black: d5 3.exd5 Nf6 with excellent play. The other opton 3.Nc3 is dull after ...dxe4.

More interesting is 1.f4 c5 2.Nf3 and if Nc6 or g6, then 3.e4.
If White plays the Polar Bear, then he can just play his natural moves and later transpose to a Big Clamp or Closed if Black insists on a Sicilian.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 06/14/09 at 21:13:00
Post Tools
Jormechea wrote on 06/14/09 at 17:06:54:
That i fair enough about 1...c5. Sicilian players have always been stuburn and love thier opening. I know I used to play it  quite often! I play 2.e4 and get an interesting sicilian oftentimes with out playing Nc3. I learned the system from IM Taylors book.

I find 1.f4 c5 2.e4 also interesting - for Black: d5 3.exd5 Nf6 with excellent play. The other opton 3.Nc3 is dull after ...dxe4.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Jormechea
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/14/09 at 17:09:13
Post Tools
Zatox wrote on 06/10/09 at 14:00:31:
Bird isn't an unsound opening. It isn't a try for an advantage either. It is just playing chess. People who say an opening is unsound or is refuted mostly have a horrible score against that opening.

I dont even think that thats the case. I think they are thinking that it is unorthodox and that it cant be good to expose the king so early. They just dont see the reality in that it doesnt expose the king.

IP Logged

Jormechea
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 06/14/09 at 17:06:54
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 06/09/09 at 01:15:21:
The Bird is fine, the problem is black can equalize numerous ways.

Even simply 1. f4 c5 works well enough (in addition to various 1...d5/2...Bg4 schemes).

The Bird is fun occasionally, though.

That i fair enough about 1...c5. Sicilian players have always been stuburn and love thier opening. I know I used to play it  quite often! I play 2.e4 and get an interesting sicilian oftentimes with out playing Nc3. I learned the system from IM Taylors book.

IP Logged

Zatox

Reply #3 - 06/10/09 at 14:00:31
Post Tools
Bird isn't an unsound opening. It isn't a try for an advantage either. It is just playing chess. People who say an opening is unsound or is refuted mostly have a horrible score against that opening.

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 06/10/09 at 13:37:22
Post Tools
Well, I use 1. f4 more than anything.  I have a decent go-around with it - I will not claim to be a top-notch player, but part of me is very experimental.  I have still not found the perfect ideas for me in the Bird.  Of course, the Bb5 pinning Nc6 to the king allows for easy play.  Occasionally, I like to play the Leningrad, but often I venture 3. e3 and see where they go. 

I actually like the Antoshin, and I ought to venture it again.  I have original ideas for it that I keep forgetting to test (everytime I play, I autoplay 3. e3 and forget to try the Antoshin recently).  But I think about preparing h3-g4 after trying to get in a 0-0-0. I assume many people play for 0-0 in those positions?

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #1 - 06/09/09 at 01:15:21
Post Tools
The Bird is fine, the problem is black can equalize numerous ways.

Even simply 1. f4 c5 works well enough (in addition to various 1...d5/2...Bg4 schemes).

The Bird is fun occasionally, though.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Jormechea
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Birds of a Different Feather
06/08/09 at 21:47:22
Post Tools
I am an avid bird player. I love the positions that it yields and I love the attacking play I gain a lot of the time. I take it very seriously when some one says after I win or lose, "Why do you play that unsound opening?" I usually smile and ask if they have ever heard of the Dutch Defense? If they are generally curious after I ask them I will show them some examples of Dangerous anti dutch lines and then show them that When you are up a tempo these same lines are useless against the bird!

I play the Classical and the Antoshin. Both are about pushing the kings pawn to e4 The antoshin accelerates this plan while the classical it may sometimes be a little harder to obtain.

What first brought my attention to this opening was when I played the kings indian. This may seem odd but I assure you it will make sense! I noticed another player who played the lenigrad dutch. It was interesting to me because in the game similar positions arose but black did not have to move the kings knight before advancing the f pawn!

So the dutch led me to look at some of those positions and then it happened. I saw some one play 1.f4! At first my young chess mind had the same stereotypical thoughts. Perhaps white has had to much to drink! When I first learned to play chess I was taught that I need to protect the f2 or f7 squares respectively. This is a weak point in your formation and if not carefull you could find your self in a lot of troble!

But now that I am older and have played the bird for a few years I can appreciate it.

My real reason for posting this isnt to tell my story but ask my fellow players What is your favorite birds opening and why. If you dont play the bird but have your favorite response I would like to hear about that as well.

I actually am working on a bird database. Trying to historically see the evolution of it. It has been used by world champions and against them with success. Surely even the e4 and d4 players can see the beauty in its character?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo