Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C11:Steinitz: 7... a6, 7....Be7, 7...dxc, 7....Qb6 (Read 3171 times)
mcmug123
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Steinitz: 7... a6, 7....Be7, 7...dxc, 7....Qb6....
Reply #6 - 07/10/09 at 06:57:01
Post Tools
Myself, I would play 7...Be7. Neil McDonald's recent book provides good coverage.

IP Logged

BlunderKing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 07/10/09 at 00:24:18
Post Tools
Hello,

thanks a lot for your comments. And yes, i mean Boleslavsky line with f4 and Be3 for White. Sorry. I've played the chigorin a la Moro, so it should really be a good idea to have a look at his games. I like his active style. I've played nearly everything against e4: sicilian, scandinavian, pirc, modern,caro-kann, even Nc6. But never the french. I've a look at a6/Be7. Perhaps i've found my opening for the next years  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/09 at 23:43:14
Post Tools
I recommend that you play both 7...a6 and 7...Be7 because as far as I know, these are the two moves with the best theoretical reputation at present. In terms of model players, Morozevich is probably the best guide.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 07/09/09 at 12:20:49
Post Tools
I agree with Dom's last alinea. I have played the Classical for a few years as I like the idea of 7...a6 and 8...b5, starting an immediate counterattack. Twice White castled kingside, I thought I was OK and subsequently got creamed. That obviously only proves my lack of understanding. Still 3...Bb4 seems to suit me better.
So no advise from me this time.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #2 - 07/09/09 at 11:06:49
Post Tools
The best one ... because it is the best  Cool
OK I know, it's lazy answer, but it's because question is inaccurate, and I am forced (as many readers) to guess, you mean: "in the "Boleslavsky line with f4 and Be3 for White".  No ?
White can play 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.Nce2!?, system played by Anand (can lead to French Tarrasch ) and not sure some  moves you proposed in title are useful.
You must replace 7...dxc with 7..cxd.
All moves you gave are played in the Boleslavsky line and each one has specific purpose. One main plan for White is long castle (after Qd2) and an attack over the kingside castle, hence usually Black delays cxd4 till White engineers long castle, because closing with c5-c4 and starting attack with Bb4+Qa5 can lead to sharp attack for opposite castles. Another plan is early cxd4 to play Bc5 fighting for the a7-g1 diagonal and the d4 strong point control. Another plan is Qb6 for double-attack b2+d4 leading usually to native main lines of Boleslavsky with Na4 + c3. White can also use Be2 plan with short castle and quieter play...quieter because a d4 square blockade is more difficult to get (Nc3-Ne2-Nd4 impossible) and light square bishop is not well placed to counter f6 or f5.
I usually replay to such post by "nobody can judge at current position. Propose one variation" or "which one do you like ?"..because you will choose one, only because you exactly know what are pros andcons for each one.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/09/09 at 10:58:51
Post Tools
7. ... cxd4, because it seems to be the most solid. However other moves are more exiting!! Smiley You could learn two moves, 7. ...cxd4 as your main weapon and something else against weaker players.

Good luck!! Wink

IP Logged

BlunderKing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

C11:Steinitz: 7... a6, 7....Be7, 7...dxc, 7....Qb6
07/09/09 at 08:56:25
Post Tools
Hello,

I'm going to add the french Stenitzl to my openings. Which 7. move would you recommend and why?

thank you!

Rainer

« Last Edit: 07/24/11 at 09:01:46 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo