Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Please help me pick a new ruy lopez defense (Read 2830 times)
CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Re: Please help me pick a new ruy lopez defense
Reply #5 - 07/19/09 at 10:42:56
Post Tools
If you're aiming at CM and abov, you're clearly a capable player and not against putting some work in. In this case the Zaitsev should suit you fine - by "theoretical" most of the main lines start on move 18+, but since the first 10 are required just to get you into the Zaitsev, the amount of theory can be blown out of proportion. Not that I'm an expert (I dropped my attempt to learn the opening due to the amount of work needed), but a lot of the theory is based on understanding the typical plans, especially against the "lesser" variations such as 12.a3 (which can be very potent if black does not understand what he needs to do). Yes, there is some theory to the main lines, and if you are not au fait then you might have a few unpleasant experiences, but at 2200+ level this is probably true in most openings.

However, the Zaitsev is also quite sharp (compared to the Chigorin/Breyer/Keres), so if you're looking for something a little less complex, perhaps a sideline like 9...Qd7 would be of interest - fully playable, but somewhat off the beaten track.

Either way, "The Ruy Lopez: A Guide For Black" will be your bible for either of the lines above. Good luck spending your next 40 years learning the closed Ruy - I'll be having fun with 3...Na5 Wink

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 07/19/09 at 10:21:24
Post Tools
Interesting. But i believe that the Gajewski is a bit to lively for me... With the center blowed open etc... + the idea to giving up a pawn doesn't really fill me with confidence

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 07/19/09 at 02:44:44
Post Tools
I would recommend the Gajewski Variation - the best source for learning this line is Brunello's new Ruy Lopez book, which will provide you with enough knowledge to play the variation successfully. It also means less work than learning a new 3rd move option.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/19/09 at 00:16:40
Post Tools
Well, i don't want to play anything alse than the Closed Lopez. I really enjoy those positions. But i don't know how to tacke it.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #1 - 07/18/09 at 23:50:27
Post Tools
Some of the early deviations are reasonably sound, e.g. Bc5 and Nf6 on the 3rd and 4th moves, and the Deferred Steinitz (3...a6 4.Ba4 d6, used by Nigel Short in his world championship match against Kasparov).

Others, like the Bird (3...Nd4) and Schilemann (3...f5) are "marginal" but have so far proved viable at high levels.

IP Logged

Raoh
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Please help me pick a new ruy lopez defense
07/18/09 at 23:33:16
Post Tools
I've been playing chess for 5 years now, and i'm trying to achive my CM title. I played 1...e5 for the last year and really enjoyed it. When i get bored by chess i usually start to look at a new opening, and suddenly i'm all for it again. The awesome thing about 1...e5 is that you have a huge number of defenses that you can choose. Specially for the Ruy. I've played already the Chigorin ( as suggested by marin) and the Keres Chigorin, the Breyer, the Berlin, and even the Archangelsk in a game. But now i want something new. The Chigorin ones are too pasive, while i saw that the Keres variation has huge problems lately. The breyer is ok, but in my last game with it i seriously didn't get any counterplay and even though the game lasted for 80 moves before my opponent won a pawn, I really hated that game. The berlin is very very interesting, however my weakest point are my endgames, and i think i would really suffer even though i have the great book by Cox.
So now i'm wondering which RL should i give a try? (I don't want to play the open, since i'm very good at manouvering ( or so they say )Cool. I was wondering if i should play the Zaitsev? However everybody says i soo theoretical i shouldn't bother. But what does theoretical in this case mean? That if you don't remember the precise moves you get crushed? Or only that you can get a worse position but with still some fight in it? Also, are there any sidelines which are not so theoretical, but can be played with confidence? I also wondered If i should play a Chigorin with cxd4, but i don't like those positions after Rd8 where the center is blowed open and pieces fly like crazy. How about the Karpov and Smyslov variations? they seem very interesting although they are very rarely played this days.

Any any any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know of a book that could come in handy to me, please tell me about it ( i own: Marin's Spanish, Cox'ses berlin wall, Glean Flear's Ruy Lopez main line and few older books)

thanks for your help

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo