Latest Updates:
Normal Topic ges of several sections Homepages for each section (Read 3784 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: ges of several sections Homepages for each section
Reply #6 - 07/31/09 at 18:51:10
Post Tools
I can see you've put quite a lot of thought into this!
Anyway, in the mean time I've made a few small cosmetic changes to some of the Home pages, and added a link to the Forum on some of the Review pages.
If anyone notices any obvious errors please post here! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #5 - 07/30/09 at 18:40:04
Post Tools
Perhaps it is not that difficult to find a volonteer since it could be done with a minimum of effort especially if the person could establish good connections to the moderators who could give the person a ping when a new thread started discussing a book.

However the person needs to be on for several times a week and interested in all sections.

Some ideas how the review lists could be carried out;

To be added on a section’s list the following criteria should be fulfilled:
1.Opening book/Media
2.Be important to ChessPublishing which means:
     a. The expert responsible for the section reviews it or
     b. Any qualified thread in a section’s forum does exist.

A book could have relevance to several sections in ChessPublishing  e.g repertoire books but will only be listed on the section’s list if the above criteria are fulfilled.

A book not discussed on any of the sections is not on any lists either!

A template for introducing a book on the list of a section could look something like:

ChessPub Section <name>

Book title:
Author:
Issue year:                  Publisher:

Expert Review (if any) (responsible for the section’s update or of him (or Tony) delegated person):
   Blablabla
Discussions in ChessPub Forum:
   Reference 1 –  (ChessPub Forum thread)
   Reference 2 – (ChessPub Forum thread)

Starting from scratch would be rather easy but adding legacy would be quite a task.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 07/30/09 at 15:08:56
Post Tools
Göran wrote on 07/29/09 at 20:37:45:
I have browsed all "Home pages", "Feedback pages", "Review pages", "Author pages" ... and the same seams to have happened to those - a rather high ambition from start but later reality has catched up and there hasn't been time to do any updates.

I don't think these pages were ever intended to be updated on a regular basis, with the exception of the Reviews pages. Looking through them some of the Home pages do look somewhat dated, and I will have a go at tidying these up.
I like the idea of linking to the discussions about book reviews here, but the question, as you pointed out, is who will do this? Undecided

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #3 - 07/29/09 at 20:37:45
Post Tools
I agree with "boki", if the home page is not updated then it is better not to have it.  It could give a bad impression to customers to be.
Very often the "feedback"-emailing adress is the wrong one as well.

I have browsed all "Home pages", "Feedback pages", "Review pages", "Author pages" ... and the same seams to have happened to those - a rather high ambition from start but later reality has catched up and there hasn't been time to do any updates.

E.g in the French section the newest book review is from 1998, "The French Tarrasch, Emms (Batsford), 1998". In many book reviews (the most) the publishing year is not given.

To maintaine a list of current books/mediums is a big task but a references to the Forum where they are discussed could be a simple why of maintaining such a list - not discusse in the Forum means not on the list.
The list could be maintained by some volunteer in the same way the moderators are appointed. The moderator himself perhaps?? and then the expert responsible for the opening could add his/her brief review of the book if he/she chooses to do so? Just an idea!

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/29/09 at 09:30:01
Post Tools
probably it is better to remove them. I remember when i considered subscribing to chesspublishing i was surprised to see the outdated pages and nearly reconsidered my subscription...However I am glad I still subscribed  Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 07/28/09 at 21:41:42
Post Tools
I suppose we should call them something else, as the real Homepage is the latest update, of course. I can't imagine them getting updated at all, there is no real point. I could remove them altogether, I suppose?! Undecided

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

ges of several sections Homepages for each section
07/19/09 at 19:30:22
Post Tools
I noticed that the homepages are quite outdated, for example the open sicilian homepage is from federowicz

any update ?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo