Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pirc Alert! II (Read 23033 times)
JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: Pirc Alert! II
Reply #13 - 08/05/09 at 08:45:00
Post Tools
Thanks for the Hansen review. Disappointing to read  Sad

Looks like a lazy effort. They didn't have to do much work to get buyers of the First Book to get the update, but not this little. What a stupid wasted opportunity.

I really thought buying it for me would be a no brainer as I get every Pirc book I can lay my hands on, but at least I can just print of Hansens review and look up the game refs for myself.

And if they have taken Vigus's analysis without credit, then that's shameful.

Fortunately with PiB&W and Dangerous Weapons there is plenty for Pirc players, and so this dud can be ignored.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #12 - 08/05/09 at 06:58:11
Post Tools
tafl wrote on 08/05/09 at 06:26:34:
There is a quite detailed review of the revision at 'Chess Cafe': http://www.chesscafe.com/hansen/hansen.htm.

Potted version of the review, Twitter-style:

'Barely updated at all. Bit of a con. Don't buy.'

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #11 - 08/05/09 at 06:26:34
Post Tools
There is a quite detailed review of the revision at 'Chess Cafe': http://www.chesscafe.com/hansen/hansen.htm.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 08/04/09 at 16:31:34
Post Tools
Well, I have no opinion about "Openings for Black, Explained," but Glenn Flear, Carsten Hansen and John Donaldson gave it quite favorable reviews, and all thought it useful for a wide range of players (e.g. Donaldson said 1500-2300; I think Flear mentioned 2400 as the top end).    

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #9 - 08/04/09 at 16:06:59
Post Tools
I devoured Pirc Alert! and used it pretty successfully in a couple of big tournaments. I hope Pirc Alert! II won't suck, and that they put in the effort to make the second version worthwhile. If not, it might cast the first one in a negative light.

The nice thing is that if it's good, I could quickly get myself up to date and have a second choice against 1. e4.

As an aside, I don't think Chess Openings for Black, Explained is so bad. It's certainly better than it's White counterpart. The suggestions are pretty solid, and any normal club player could definitely play this repertoire with great success. Maybe you'd need a better book if you're over 2300 or something, but for anything lower it's probably sufficient if you work with computers.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 08/02/09 at 15:45:10
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 08/02/09 at 15:33:12:
Schaakhamster wrote on 08/02/09 at 15:17:04:
He has admitted that there are lot of holes and a lot of work goes into patching this up.

The same could be said of Pirc Alert (and problably most if not all opening texts), but the work I put in patching the holes for myself helped me learn a lot about the Pirc.

The first thing I'm going to do when I get Pirc Alert II is to turn to see what improvement there is for the busted TN on p273.

Then I'll go through my margin notes to see what's been improved against my own analysis.

I'm hoping I'll get a good work out from Pirc Alert II and that it won't just be a money grab.

My thoughts exactly. My now working through the Bogo-Indian lines of "Openings for black, explained" and I found them quite good. I haven't found any major hiccups yet so far so good.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 08/02/09 at 15:33:12
Post Tools
Schaakhamster wrote on 08/02/09 at 15:17:04:
He has admitted that there are lot of holes and a lot of work goes into patching this up.

The same could be said of Pirc Alert (and problably most if not all opening texts), but the work I put in patching the holes for myself helped me learn a lot about the Pirc.

The first thing I'm going to do when I get Pirc Alert II is to turn to see what improvement there is for the busted TN on p273.

Then I'll go through my margin notes to see what's been improved against my own analysis.

I'm hoping I'll get a good work out from Pirc Alert II and that it won't just be a money grab.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 08/02/09 at 15:17:04
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 08/01/09 at 23:33:38:
HoemberChess wrote on 08/01/09 at 18:25:34:
Is that a good book?

No.  Angry

the "Black one" is in my opinion not so bad. The repertoire choices are decent enough and backed up by fritz/rybka and some database work it should be workable.

The "White one" I find worse although a strong player in the club has used it for the groundworks of his repertoire. He has admitted that there are lot of holes and a lot of work goes into patching this up.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #5 - 08/01/09 at 23:33:38
Post Tools
HoemberChess wrote on 08/01/09 at 18:25:34:
Is that a good book?

No.  Angry

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

HoemberChess
God Member

Reply #4 - 08/01/09 at 18:25:34
Post Tools
Is that a good book?

TonyRo wrote on 07/31/09 at 14:32:09:
I'm sure other people on this forum got an e-mail from NIC about the new Pirc Alert! book. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the details of this book. I thought the first one was pretty much exactly what an opening manual should be, and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the coverage or the extent of the updating, refining, etc....

If it's anything like the new version of Chess Openings for Black, Explained, I shouldn't get my hopes up!

as
*W 1d4) Torre/Barry/Pirc/Philidor/ early _d5:early c4(QGD/Slav/QGD/etc)
*B) 1e4:e6 [+1_c5 2Nf3 a6]| 1d4:e6 2c4 Bb4+ BID/pseudoNID [+1_Nf6 NID]| 1c4:c5,_Nc6,_e5,_g6| 1Nf3:c5
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Reply #3 - 08/01/09 at 11:28:36
Post Tools
I am actually secretly hoping that this book sucks. Having made up my mind to give up the Pirc, the last thing I need is from someone to write a really good book on it and lure me back.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 07/31/09 at 15:27:52
Post Tools
Great news, but no  Smiley this time because of similar comments to those already posted.

I'll still by it though  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Reply #1 - 07/31/09 at 15:13:01
Post Tools
Well, Pirc Alert, the original really was good. It was what made me fall in love originally with the Pirc. But Vigus' "Pirc in Black and White" was pretty good too, and is still not that dated. So Pirc Alert II had better come damn good.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Pirc Alert! II
07/31/09 at 14:32:09
Post Tools
I'm sure other people on this forum got an e-mail from NIC about the new Pirc Alert! book. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the details of this book. I thought the first one was pretty much exactly what an opening manual should be, and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the coverage or the extent of the updating, refining, etc....

If it's anything like the new version of Chess Openings for Black, Explained, I shouldn't get my hopes up!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo