Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Modern Benoni Repertoire (Read 53920 times)
TN
God Member

Re: Modern Benoni Repertoire
Reply #27 - 03/29/10 at 12:39:15
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 03/29/10 at 12:27:20:
I hate those DW books because 2/3 of the content is more or less useless.  But perhaps I'll buy this one.

Useless as in not relevant to your repertoire, poor-quality analysis or the lines aren't sound enough for your liking? I can understand most of the book being irrelevant if you have a fairly narrow repertoire, although the DW series' main competitor, SOS, suffers from the same issue.

In my experience, the broader one's repertoire is, the more one benefits from such books. Some chapters are better than others, but generally speaking each of the chapters have original analysis, well selected games, accurate evaluations of positions and are thorough in their coverage.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #26 - 03/29/10 at 12:27:20
Post Tools
I hate those DW books because 2/3 of the content is more or less useless.  But perhaps I'll buy this one.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #25 - 03/29/10 at 09:27:18
Post Tools
Quote:
However 4...b5 looks quite interesting.  We discussed this briefly before, though I have been unable to locate the thread.

I think there might have even been two threads on this but I'm not going to bother looking them up because I think you should probably buy Dangerous Weapons: The Benoni and Benko.  Besides chapters on other useful information the last chapter is devoted to the 4...b5 gambit which Palliser dubs the Pseudo-Blumenfeld Gambit.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #24 - 03/26/10 at 13:44:02
Post Tools
bump.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #23 - 03/25/10 at 13:13:54
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 08/17/09 at 12:45:23:
Returning to the original topic, I think that Palliser's Modern Benoni Revealed is an outstanding book.  I have some issues with mode of organization of the "Revealed" series, but notwithstanding that, Palliser's book is quite readable and jammed with useful information.  Also Palliser is an avid practitioner of the Modern Benoni and as such, dishes out a lot of useful practical advice.

Having said that, I would like to call attention to a small error in this book.  Against 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3, Palliser advocates 2...c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.Nxd5 Nxd5 6.Qxd5 d6 "!" and remarks that after 7.Ng5 (7.e4 is more usual) 7...Qf6 Black is good in the complications that follow.  But Black is by no means good after 8.Nxh7!, which just wins a pawn.  There is a GM game from the 90s (sorry, I forget who the players were) that continued 8...Qf5 9.Qxf5 Bxf5 10.Nxf8 and now with 10...Nc6?! Black pretended that he had comp.  White allowed himself to be bluffed and played 10.c3.  But 10.Bf4! would have left Black even worse off than if he'd played 10...Kxf8.  So much for 7...Qf6!  

If Black's previous play can be justified, it must be by means of 7...Qe7.  However this doesn't look too terribly bad for Black, So I think that 3...e6 may hold up.  Black also has 3...b5!?, of course, but I would think that a Modern Benoni player might prefer 3...e6 with its invitation to "forgive and forget" after 4.c4.

Last of all, as pointed out by Palliser, Black can fall back on 2...e6.  This is unobjectionable, but it does require him to prepare for the Torre and the London.

More on this subject.  I've looked some more at 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.Nxd5 Nxd5 6.Qxd5 d6 7.Ng5 Qe7, and I really don't like Black's game after 8.Bf4 Be6 9.Nxe6 fxe6 10.Qh5+.  E.g. 10...g6 11.Qg4 appears to be "w" in my parlance (http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1266527927) . So my provisional conclusion is that 4...exd5 is no good.

However 4...b5 looks quite interesting.  We discussed this briefly before, though I have been unable to locate the thread.  I recall saying that 5.dxe6 fxe6 6.Nxb5 d5 7.Nc3 looked strong to me, intending soon e2-e4.  But more recently I noticed 7...Be7 8.e4 d4! 9.e5 dxc3 10.exf3 Qxd1+ 11.Kxd1 Bxf6 and Black seems to be O.K.  To take advantage of 7...Be7 it would seem that White has to refrain from 8.e4.  I'm not sure if Black has full comp, but it looks worth testing.  Black would rather have his KB on d6, but on the other hand, he hasn't spent a tempo on a6 and it doesn't look like he'll have to.

If White plays more normally 5.dxe6 fxe6 6.Nxb5 d5 7.e3, it appears to me that after 7...a6 8.Nc3 Nc6 Black again has pretty good practical compensation.  I have a hunch you could score a lot of points with this gambit in open Swiss sections, notwithstanding that it has no discernable support at the top.

Instead of 5.dxe6, the more positional 5.Bg5 b4 6.Ne4 Bb7 7.Bxf6 gxf6 8.c4 bxc3 9.Nxc3 f5 looks quite interesting for either side.  I suppose you have to like White a little better, but as compensation for his ragged pawns, Black will have the two bishops, and the play will be fairly complex.  In this line White also has 6.Na4, but that line also looks both complicated and playable for Black. 

So I think the most testing line is to accept the pawn, though it gives Black serious practical chances with his central pawns and his potential play on the half-open f-file.

After 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5, I don't think that 3...b5 fits in too well with a Modern Benoni repertoire, since it throws away the chance to get back into the system after 3...e6 4.c4.  Also Black has to be willing to play the Benko declined that arises from 4.c4. 

In any case, Black's solid option is 2...e6, though he then has to be willing to play a Torre and also that Catalan/Symmetrical English borderland line, 3.g3 c5 4.Bg2 cxd4 5.Nxd4, or 4.c4 cxd4 5.Nxd4.  He'll also have to play the ...e6 version of the Colle, which is no big deal, but some people including me like the ...g6 version.  If I were developing an MB repertoire not linked to the Nimzo, I would probably have both 2...e6 and 2...c5 3.d4 b5 in my repertoire and pick my targets according to my perception of their vulnerability.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #22 - 08/19/09 at 09:00:18
Post Tools
thibdb13 wrote on 08/18/09 at 15:11:12:
Markovich wrote on 08/18/09 at 14:39:44:
Is there any reason why I should buy this Franco book?  I already have Watson, Palliser and Vegh -- plus some older works.

It is a good book to have some more interesting examples of Benoni games but it is certainly not more than a little complement to Palliser's and Watson's books.
So, the only reason to buy this book is that it could enlarge your general culture about this opening.

I entirely endorse this view. It just depends on your willingness to spend on books. Not the best book, but some complementary and newer games than Watson's. I own Psakhis, Bellin & Ponzetto, Watson and Franco's and they all add things.

I only regret buying true lemmons. Benko Gambit Revealed or Lalic's Grunfeld being two not so horrendous examples. True pathetic ones had been Chris Baker Startling Opening Repertoire, Gufeld's Benko Gambit or Ehlvest the Leningrad Dutch. But otherwise 99% of the boos are excellent these days.

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #21 - 08/18/09 at 16:03:27
Post Tools
Is there any reason why I should buy this Franco book?  I already have Watson, Palliser and Vegh -- plus some older works.

I reviewed this book at Jeremy Silman's site, it's maybe worth a look.

http://jeremysilman.com/chess_gst_wrtrs/Chess_Explained_Modern_Benoni.html

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #20 - 08/18/09 at 15:11:12
Post Tools
Is there any reason why I should buy this Franco book?  I already have Watson, Palliser and Vegh -- plus some older works.

It is a good book to have some more interesting examples of Benoni games but it is certainly not more than a little complement to Palliser's and Watson's books.
So, the only reason to buy this book is that it could enlarge your general culture about this opening.

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #19 - 08/18/09 at 14:39:44
Post Tools
Is there any reason why I should buy this Franco book?  I already have Watson, Palliser and Vegh -- plus some older works.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #18 - 08/18/09 at 11:38:08
Post Tools
Not really, after having a look at the games provided by Zenon Franco in his book, I wanted to know about the alternatives

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #17 - 08/17/09 at 22:39:45
Post Tools
Is there supposed to be something wrong with the old perhaps main line 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 e6 4. Nc3 ed 5. ed d6 6. Nf3 g6 7. g3 Bg7 8. Bg2 0-0 9. 0-0 a6 10. a4 Nbd7 11. Nd2 Re8 12. h3 Rb8 12. Nc4 Nb6?

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #16 - 08/17/09 at 21:24:35
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 08/17/09 at 14:28:58:
I have not seen a thread discussing Fianchetto Variation. Any ideas / Suggestions?

Either follow Korchnoi-Kasparov, Lucerne 1982, or play the Dangerous Weapons line 9...Re8 10.Nd2 b6.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #15 - 08/17/09 at 14:28:58
Post Tools
I have not seen a thread discussing Fianchetto Variation. Any ideas / Suggestions?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #14 - 08/17/09 at 12:45:23
Post Tools
Returning to the original topic, I think that Palliser's Modern Benoni Revealed is an outstanding book.  I have some issues with mode of organization of the "Revealed" series, but notwithstanding that, Palliser's book is quite readable and jammed with useful information.  Also Palliser is an avid practitioner of the Modern Benoni and as such, dishes out a lot of useful practical advice.

Having said that, I would like to call attention to a small error in this book.  Against 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3, Palliser advocates 2...c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.Nxd5 Nxd5 6.Qxd5 d6 "!" and remarks that after 7.Ng5 (7.e4 is more usual) 7...Qf6 Black is good in the complications that follow.  But Black is by no means good after 8.Nxh7!, which just wins a pawn.  There is a GM game from the 90s (sorry, I forget who the players were) that continued 8...Qf5 9.Qxf5 Bxf5 10.Nxf8 and now with 10...Nc6?! Black pretended that he had comp.  White allowed himself to be bluffed and played 10.c3.  But 10.Bf4! would have left Black even worse off than if he'd played 10...Kxf8.  So much for 7...Qf6!  

If Black's previous play can be justified, it must be by means of 7...Qe7.  However this doesn't look too terribly bad for Black, So I think that 3...e6 may hold up.  Black also has 3...b5!?, of course, but I would think that a Modern Benoni player might prefer 3...e6 with its invitation to "forgive and forget" after 4.c4.

Last of all, as pointed out by Palliser, Black can fall back on 2...e6.  This is unobjectionable, but it does require him to prepare for the Torre and the London.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #13 - 08/15/09 at 08:55:35
Post Tools
I must apologise, first of all, to John Watson. I read his books years ago and wrote previous comments on my impressions then.

I had a look at his book last night and this morning and I found it amazing. He anticipates in many cases where theory is going to develop (or even develops the theory himself). He is incredibly detailed and, to be honest, far too advanced for whatever chess understanding I had/have.

There are a couple of instances where some lines have not stood the test of time or some nuances in the move order have appeared, but indeed it is a fantastic book. (perhaps too advanced for dogmatic players like me  Cool )

It is so through, though, that unless one already knows a fair amount of the Benoni, may not be the ideal 'starting out' guide, although one now would hope he writes more about openings!

He had a few areas where he pioneered important theoretical develpment/General insterest like the Chigorin, Symmetrical English, etc...

In the Qh4 lines he even declares that it certainly looks counter intuitive, but Zenon has a Gelfand game as Black playing the line!

I could have deleted previous post, but wanted to correct myself since there were people who had read it already...

Apologies, again, then.

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo