Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 10th Anniversary! (Read 16785 times)
Zatox

Re: 10th Anniversary!
Reply #12 - 08/11/09 at 12:05:23
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 08/10/09 at 14:07:43:
TalJechin wrote on 08/08/09 at 10:34:36:
Strengthening your brand with T-shirts andor publish a Best of Chesspub book sound like good ideas.

Do people really wear chess clothes? Is this in an 'I'm a student, I'm being ironic, how clever' kinda way?

Don't see it meself. Cannot think that ambling around town wearing a chess T-shirt could ever be a positive thing.

Indeed, But I would love a chesspublishing mug or something.

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #11 - 08/10/09 at 14:46:22
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 08/10/09 at 14:41:09:
Strengthening your brand with T-shirts andor publish a Best of Chesspub book sound like good ideas.

Do people really wear chess clothes? Is this in an 'I'm a student, I'm being ironic, how clever' kinda way?

Don't see it meself. Cannot think that ambling around town wearing a chess T-shirt could ever be a positive thing.

I am sure the BDG players would proudly wear a "I love the BDG" t-shirt everywhere they go, if one were available.

Oh dear, you are probably right. Wearing them to online BDG conventions and things. There are probably oodles of Blackmars and Diemers shuffling around 2ndLife in pursuit of some kind of meaning as we speak.

Out of interest are there any BDG players who are:

(1) over 2000 FIDE
and
(2) don't live with their mums

by the way?

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #10 - 08/10/09 at 14:41:09
Post Tools

I am sure the BDG players would proudly wear a "I love the BDG" t-shirt everywhere they go, if one were available.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #9 - 08/10/09 at 14:07:43
Post Tools

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #8 - 08/09/09 at 12:38:08
Post Tools
What's about a correspondence chess tournament?

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #7 - 08/08/09 at 10:34:36
Post Tools

How about arranging an anniversary tournament, to give forumites and subscribers a chance to meet and compete? I know, it entails a lot of work but maybe once every tenth year would be manageable? Smiley

Still, maybe the real question/problem is where to play in that case? Considering the global spread of members it might require two tms at least, one in Europe and one in the US...

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #6 - 08/07/09 at 19:47:52
Post Tools
It's not all about the money.

It's about a feeling inside.
It's about beeing happy and proud.
It's about sharing success with friends.
It's about a long story.
It's about meeting people.

Why not publish something and give it away for free? - e.g. Chesspublishings best games / best analyses from 10 years. Get in contact with all the authors of the last 10 years and let them choose their favourite games. Make a collection, add some interviews and make a wonderful present out of it.

Last but not least it's about 10 years of your life Tony!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #5 - 08/07/09 at 18:42:54
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 08/03/09 at 11:51:36:
The tenth anniversary of the ChessPublishing.com site occurs at the beginning of October, I wonder if we should celebrate this in some way? Smiley

Sell T-shirts and coffee mugs.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #4 - 08/03/09 at 19:08:21
Post Tools
Gorath wrote on 08/03/09 at 18:54:47:
10 years. That's an eternity on the internet. Congratulations! Smiley

- make connections to the 10 or 20 biggest chess sites in the world. Offer them something for their readers and they'll drive traffic to ChessPublishing. Don't limit yourself to English sites.

Gorath's ideas make sense, but I have a feeling Chesspublishing probably is in the top 20 chess sites in the world. 

(And since English is the current international language of chess, contacting non-English language sites may not be terribly productive.)  Still, advertising is an investment, not a cost.

Still, an email to Mark Crowther,  or some of the others may be in order.

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/03/09 at 18:54:47
Post Tools
10 years. That's an eternity on the internet. Congratulations! Smiley

I hope the following is not inappropriate. If so please feel free to ignore it. Wink

The 10th anniversary is a great chance to grow your business, because it's the perfect excuse to ...

- give stuff away for free (or for an email address and the permission to receive special offers Wink ).
- make connections to the 10 or 20 biggest chess sites in the world. Offer them something for their readers and they'll drive traffic to ChessPublishing. Don't limit yourself to English sites.
- make a lot of big announcements about the unbelievably spectacular upcoming changes. Hey, we're celebrating. Come join us!

Suggestions:
Whatever you want to fix or improve on the site, have it finished by the end of August. Especially basic e-commerce standards are missing, for example additional payment providers and the usual "30 days money back guarantee" blurb. Not to talk about a partner program.
Use September to prepare marketing fireworks. Negotiate with other sites. Give them a bit of free material, offer them a more or less limited subscription for as prize for a contest. Don't pay money, use content as lever. Link back to them, etc.
8 to 10 promotions throughout Oct. sounds like a good start. Maybe every Tuesday and Friday.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 08/03/09 at 15:40:43
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 08/03/09 at 14:13:32:
What a milestone that is. I am sure we can all agree what a top rated site it is. I was reading a review of some book this week, and the reviewer was admonishing the writer for having not included chesspublishing.com in his bibliography, noting that it is obligatory nowadays for any opening book writer to consult the site. That underscores the importance of this site.

Now about celebrating. Yes, of course. How about a free year's subscription to all subscribers  Grin I will drink to that.

On a serious note, though, I have to concede, it is excellent value for money.

Indeed it is! I recommend it to all my friends.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #1 - 08/03/09 at 14:13:32
Post Tools
What a milestone that is. I am sure we can all agree what a top rated site it is. I was reading a review of some book this week, and the reviewer was admonishing the writer for having not included chesspublishing.com in his bibliography, noting that it is obligatory nowadays for any opening book writer to consult the site. That underscores the importance of this site.

Now about celebrating. Yes, of course. How about a free year's subscription to all subscribers  Grin I will drink to that.

On a serious note, though, I have to concede, it is excellent value for money.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

10th Anniversary!
08/03/09 at 11:51:36
Post Tools
The tenth anniversary of the ChessPublishing.com site occurs at the beginning of October, I wonder if we should celebrate this in some way? Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo