Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 10th Anniversary! (Read 16865 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: 10th Anniversary!
Reply #27 - 10/01/09 at 17:20:01
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 09/12/09 at 15:20:00:
I will also ask the authors to submit their favourite game from the last ten years.

This is now ready to download, even for non-subscribers! Smiley

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #26 - 09/17/09 at 08:05:14
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 09/12/09 at 15:20:00:
New In Chess have agreed to sponsor a tenth anniversary Opening competition (similar to Stefan's - he is currently too busy finishing the next issue of his mag) which will be coming soon on the QGD.
I will also ask the authors to submit their favourite game from the last ten years.
Apart from that it will probably just be business as usual ... in other words I won't be jumping from the Eiffel Tower not matter how many subscribers we get!! Shocked

This is great news - I am really looking forward to this competition. Thank you! Smiley

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #25 - 09/12/09 at 15:20:00
Post Tools
New In Chess have agreed to sponsor a tenth anniversary Opening competition (similar to Stefan's - he is currently too busy finishing the next issue of his mag) which will be coming soon on the QGD.
Apart from that it will probably just be business as usual ... in other words I won't be jumping from the Eiffel Tower not matter how many subscribers we get!! Shocked

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #24 - 08/23/09 at 22:12:00
Post Tools
Puzzle contest?

Advertise it all over.

Run for ten days, one per day to make people visit the site ten times. 

Choose retrograde analysis or some such so that people can't use computers?

Prizes for first one, first ten, to submit correct answers. 

Prizes could be donated and/or include things like a single section subscription (hopefully if they try it, they'll sign up for others or renew) or, if current member, an extension.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #23 - 08/23/09 at 22:00:51
Post Tools
Is Spassky still active?  Maybe sponsor an on-line simul with the 10th world champion. 

Limit to 20 or so players.

Offer to anyone who has been gold card member for all ten years.   

Depending on how many that is, either free entry or chance to pay for entry before opening to others.

Charge for, or auction off, remaning spots to cover costs.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #22 - 08/23/09 at 21:21:18
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 08/14/09 at 09:23:20:
For example, one idea could be to offer automatically generated individualised repertoire e-books - i.e. subscribers provide a rough tree of what they're playing and when a new game is added that improves for either side in that rep, the user is notified and this game is automatically added to his clickable repertoire-book, which he of course can edit, if the novelty is not to his liking or it causes him to change his preferred line of that branch.

I thought that you could already do something like this automatically in ChessBase with their repertoire database?

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #21 - 08/14/09 at 11:29:01
Post Tools
Maybe it's enough celebrating it in virtual life: having quick survey of Chesspublishing and (funny) GMs/IMs quotes about it in Chessbase news published at anniversary date is enough.

To attract new clients in October is good calendar date .. when chess competition starts (in France)... but I think a "newbie chess section" will be useful to attract low rated players and beginners to website and forum.

Currently I have another idea of sharing "Hash table" binary files about various openings...because I work a little about using Rybka hash files ... and if you don't know: Rybka 3 can produce hash file and merge hash file....hence IF chesspublishing.com website had an FTP free upload/download section, all visitors can share opening hash binary file. It can be free because no comments/assesments/ideas from GMs/IMs needed, only the pure assessment of e-books by engines...myself I can start upload  in few months for my French defence systems (I must organize matchs between engines before).

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #20 - 08/14/09 at 09:23:20
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 08/12/09 at 13:39:10:
Oh dear! That's a depressing thought! Roll Eyes
I like the idea of contacting TWIC and Chess Today, for example, but I simply can't believe anyone would want a ChessPublishing T-shirt or mug, and I'm not even sure I would wear a ChessPub T-shirt. Still, there's no knowing what I might do if I thought the site would make more money!! Huh
Please keep the ideas coming. Wink

Maybe you could offer more functionality for subscribers. Chess theory takes a lot of time to keep up with, so it could be worth hearing what kind of assistance subscribers would wish for.

For example, one idea could be to offer automatically generated individualised repertoire e-books - i.e. subscribers provide a rough tree of what they're playing and when a new game is added that improves for either side in that rep, the user is notified and this game is automatically added to his clickable repertoire-book, which he of course can edit, if the novelty is not to his liking or it causes him to change his preferred line of that branch.

It would of course take a very good php-programmer and some serious investments so I suppose it's not possible yet, but I'm for one is convinced that something like this is the future of chess publishing.

Another more realistic idea for the moment, could be to invite chess authors to update their opening books / suggested repertoires etc on a freelance basis here on chesspub in an easily accessible digital format. - It'll probably require consent by the publishers, but it would most likely lengthen the life span of those published opening books, bring you more subscribers for those new sections, and give an extra income for the authors - so it sounds like an 'everybody wins' idea.

And if that works well, you could start 'publishing' new authors with new ebooks - there must be many titled players who would be tempted to make an ebook = cbh/cbv-format, while a paper edition would require much more work. It wouldn't even cost you anything , if you settle for a percentage from what the authors get - in return for access to chesspub's traffic, a subforum dedicated to each book and perhaps some advice on the making of the ebooks & quality check of the material.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #19 - 08/13/09 at 04:34:40
Post Tools
What about having all of the section writers pick out a couple of their favorite games, whether they're classics, their own games, etc...and put them up as some kind of a special update that everyone can check out.

Maybe all of the section leaders also have a couple of funny chess stories they could tell, and you could just release all of them to subscribers.  Grin

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #18 - 08/12/09 at 16:49:11
Post Tools
Quote:
I simply can't believe anyone would want a ChessPublishing T-shirt or mug

Right for me  Smiley
If you want to make a present for the subscribers gives us something special for free - e.g. your hidden secrets of your personal najdorf line - let's call it the Kosten System: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cd4 4.Nd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 Nc6!? or your best games within the last 10 years.

Quote:
Still, there's no knowing what I might do if I thought the site would make more money!!

That's an interesting thought - you may place a bet against the community here. E.g.: Tony: I will do a Base Jump from the Eiffel Tower in Paris if the number of subcribers doubles next year  - just watch THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPyUsyF_OgM
We could well be motivated to make this dream come true Grin

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 08/12/09 at 13:39:10
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 08/07/09 at 19:47:52:
Last but not least it's about 10 years of your life Tony!

Oh dear! That's a depressing thought! Roll Eyes
I like the idea of contacting TWIC and Chess Today, for example, but I simply can't believe anyone would want a ChessPublishing T-shirt or mug, and I'm not even sure I would wear a ChessPub T-shirt. Still, there's no knowing what I might do if I thought the site would make more money!! Huh
Please keep the ideas coming. Wink

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #16 - 08/11/09 at 21:24:10
Post Tools
I think perhaps we should offer free coffee for all who visit the website during October.  BYOcoffee of course.

Btw:  I have a chess student who designs shirts.  It is possible to get a nice looking chess polo shirt. (It would probably just have some small chess pub logo and chess pub colors, whatever those are.)

If anyone's serious about it, I can talk to him about designs and costs.

IP Logged

Zatox

Reply #15 - 08/11/09 at 16:48:29
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 08/11/09 at 13:38:27:
Bibs wrote on 08/10/09 at 14:07:43:
Do people really wear chess clothes? Is this in an 'I'm a student, I'm being ironic, how clever' kinda way?

Don't see it meself. Cannot think that ambling around town wearing a chess T-shirt could ever be a positive thing.

Considering how many pay extra to to walk around with the logo of a multi billion company on their t-shirts - then I don't see the harm of promoting something one actually likes.

Unless you are afraid the 'popular people' will still bully you for every minor sign of individualism...

Besides, no one reads t-shirts these days, unless the wearer is a pretty girl and the text is no more than one word like e.g. "single".
So, it's probably safe to wear "I'm a chess player and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" or whatever..

Come to think of it, some of those "I'm with stupid ->" t-shirts might liven up the player pictures from most chess events - provided the pic is snapped at the right moment!  Smiley

It has nothing to do with populairity. I have seen loads of chess shirts. But there wasn't one of them that looked the least bit normal. Chess t-shirts are ugly with no exceptions (so far). (look for example at http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Images/Views/1775.jpg )When there will be a chess shirt that look nice, ill consider wearing it.

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #14 - 08/11/09 at 14:17:13
Post Tools
Zatox wrote on 08/11/09 at 12:05:23:
TalJechin wrote on 08/08/09 at 10:34:36:
Strengthening your brand with T-shirts andor publish a Best of Chesspub book sound like good ideas.

Do people really wear chess clothes? Is this in an 'I'm a student, I'm being ironic, how clever' kinda way?

Don't see it meself. Cannot think that ambling around town wearing a chess T-shirt could ever be a positive thing.

Indeed, But I would love a chesspublishing mug or something.

Ay, a tastefully designed mug would do me just right.

Re: taljechin's comments about reading T-shirts, I do it all the time, but it is unusually entertaining here in Japan for the sheer randomness of foreign words chucked together.

Perhaps chesspub could open a shop in Ginza or Akihabara. Also: 'I love fishing', 'I am a librarian, can I help you at all?', 'Accountancy rocks' kinda stuff.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #13 - 08/11/09 at 13:38:27
Post Tools

Considering how many pay extra to to walk around with the logo of a multi billion company on their t-shirts - then I don't see the harm of promoting something one actually likes.

Unless you are afraid the 'popular people' will still bully you for every minor sign of individualism...

Besides, no one reads t-shirts these days, unless the wearer is a pretty girl and the text is no more than one word like e.g. "single".
So, it's probably safe to wear "I'm a chess player and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" or whatever..

Come to think of it, some of those "I'm with stupid ->" t-shirts might liven up the player pictures from most chess events - provided the pic is snapped at the right moment!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo