cuts down a load of theory    
  16 (21.9%)
White has an edge (where)    
  12 (16.4%)

Total votes: 73
« Created by: rossia on: 02/16/11 at 12:23:55 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Slay the Spanish! (Read 112047 times)
rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Re: Slay the Spanish!
Reply #41 - 02/16/11 at 12:23:55
Post Tools
Friends, please give me your feedback  Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #40 - 02/16/11 at 00:28:42
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/15/11 at 09:50:26:
I don't for two reasons.

1) The title of the book doesn't combine well with "While it's possible to enter the solid" and "what seems to be the main line, the extremely boring"
2) "11 Dh5+! is probably the real test of Keres’ move order." Taylor gives one game and zero analysis.

Alias wrote on 02/15/11 at 10:37:43:
1) The title is silly, but so is many other chess book titles, like eg "Sveshnikov Reloaded", the best opening book I've seen.

2) As Taylor prefers 10...Nf6 there is no need to spend too much space on 10...Bd6 11.Qh5+.

1) The title is more than silly - it's misleading. Kill the KID is even a more stupid book title, but at least it refers to the content of the book.
2) Then he spends too much space on 10...Bd6 overall. He should have used that Marciniak-W.Swiecicki game as a note to 10...Nf6. Now it's neither meat nor fish, as the Dutch proverb goes.
I maintain my two points. In opening books I don't like this popularizing superficiality. That's personal of course, there obviously is a market for it.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #39 - 02/15/11 at 22:54:55
Post Tools
Not sure about this book (despite the fact that I've taken up the Modern Steinitz as Black quite recently).  I recall that most of Timothy Taylor's recent books have received mixed reviews, e.g. the Bird's Opening and Budapest ones.

My other reservation is one of personal taste- like Tim Harding, I'm not a fan of the "opening analysis based on illustrative games" approach- I prefer the encyclopaedic type of structure, and think the former often leads to much "thinner" coverage of the lines due to a lot of space being taken up on the games.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #38 - 02/15/11 at 14:30:16
Post Tools
4...bxc6 against the exchange? I'd love if this worked but i seriously doubt. I will wait to see his analysis first and then comment on it specifically.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #37 - 02/15/11 at 10:37:43
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/15/11 at 09:50:26:
I don't for two reasons.

1) The title of the book doesn't combine well with "While it's possible to enter the solid" and "what seems to be the main line, the extremely boring"
2) "11 Dh5+! is probably the real test of Keres’ move order." Taylor gives one game and zero analysis.

1) The title is silly, but so is many other chess book titles, like eg "Sveshnikov Reloaded", the best opening book I've seen.

2) As Taylor prefers 10...Nf6 there is no need to spend too much space on 10...Bd6 11.Qh5+.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #36 - 02/15/11 at 09:50:26
Post Tools
I don't for two reasons.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #35 - 02/15/11 at 08:15:33
Post Tools
There are now pdf extracts at Everyman's website http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Slay_the_Spanish%21.

I like what I see. It seems Taylor makes the most of the variation's greatest strength - its flexibility.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #34 - 02/09/11 at 17:06:03
Post Tools
Jay wrote on 02/09/11 at 03:58:33:
Anyone who has seen Home Improvement would catch the reference.

I haven't. Even if it has been on Dutch and/or Surinamese TV I haven't. I hardly watch sitcoms as I think them a waste of time. I rather waste my time at Chesspub.
So I agree with Stigma - be a bit careful with what you write. I thought of a ghostwriter as well.
Still I don't know what you meant, but don't bother. I am not really interested.

Jay wrote on 02/09/11 at 14:35:28:
Home Improvement's Tim Allen is Buzz Lightyear from the Toy Story movies.  Surely those received an international release.

I only know Toy Story from Donald Duck advertisements.

Jay wrote on 02/09/11 at 14:35:28:
And Bob is your uncle.

Amazing! How do you know that I indeed have an uncle called Bob?
Anyhow, it beats like a pincer on a pig.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Jay

Reply #33 - 02/09/11 at 14:35:28
Post Tools
Home Improvement's Tim Allen is Buzz Lightyear from the Toy Story movies.  Surely those received an international release.  Also really funny with him is Galaxy Quest, but you might have to love (maybe hate) campy Sci-Fi to appreciate it.

Stigma wrote on 02/09/11 at 04:07:37:
I've never even heard of "Home Improvement"; and I don't know which country it's from. The USA? The UK? Bangladesh?

OK, Wikipedia tells me it's an american sitcom that aired from 1991 to 1999. Probably never even aired in my country... Not everybody on here is from the states, you know.

Yeah, Home Improvement was definitely an American reference, but what can I say?  I am an American.  And Bob is your uncle.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle

I tend to assume most chess players on an English language site are probably not American.  It just really is not all that popular over here.  If I was in New York, I could find many good games, but in Texas one has to be in a major city.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #32 - 02/09/11 at 06:25:38
Post Tools
I am from the USA, and I didn't get the reference until it was pointed out. I've seen the show a couple of times, but I was never a huge fan, and I forgot the character names.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #31 - 02/09/11 at 04:07:37
Post Tools
I've never even heard of "Home Improvement"; and I don't know which country it's from. The USA? The UK? Bangladesh?

OK, Wikipedia tells me it's an american sitcom that aired from 1991 to 1999. Probably never even aired in my country... Not everybody on here is from the states, you know.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Jay

Reply #30 - 02/09/11 at 03:58:33
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 02/08/11 at 20:49:54:
I've never heard of Al Boreland. I thought you were suggesting that Taylor used a ghost writer! Be careful what you write...

Anyone who has seen Home Improvement would catch the reference.  Tim Allen plays Tim "the Toolman" Taylor who runs a cable repair show and is always getting injured and whose assistant Al Boreland is the competent one who does all the work.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #29 - 02/09/11 at 02:22:37
Post Tools
Jay wrote on 02/08/11 at 20:35:08:
Jay wrote on 02/07/11 at 15:02:30:
But Al Boreland will do most of the work.

That's the problem with references to Home Improvement.  Really not that funny.

I enjoyed it, but was too lazy to reply. Grin

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #28 - 02/08/11 at 20:49:54
Post Tools
I've never heard of Al Boreland. I thought you were suggesting that Taylor used a ghost writer! Be careful what you write...

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Jay

Reply #27 - 02/08/11 at 20:35:08
Post Tools
Jay wrote on 02/07/11 at 15:02:30:
But Al Boreland will do most of the work.

That's the problem with references to Home Improvement.  Really not that funny.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo