cuts down a load of theory    
  16 (21.9%)
White has an edge (where)    
  12 (16.4%)

Total votes: 73
« Created by: rossia on: 02/16/11 at 12:23:55 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Slay the Spanish! (Read 112302 times)
Jonathan Tait
God Member

Re: Slay the Spanish!
Reply #86 - 04/05/11 at 07:47:16
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/04/11 at 19:34:05:
It's not him, it's his editors.  I suspect there is a freelance editor involved and that he has just thrown up his hands.

Not at all. TT has an idiosyncratic style but I don't see there's anything wrong with that. He writes books that are meant to be read. That's the point. He's not writing an opening encyclopaedia in which variations are neatly mapped out for easy reference, from which moves can just be memorized. He's writing a book about the opening.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

Reply #85 - 04/05/11 at 07:25:05
Post Tools
Jansa...sorry I'm not familiar with that author. What and when was his publishing?

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #84 - 04/05/11 at 06:41:55
Post Tools
Thanks! But...do you have Jansa's book in your computer?   Wink

IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

Reply #83 - 04/05/11 at 04:46:56
Post Tools
I was going to compare analysis very soon, not to worry! I have both on the computer

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #82 - 04/04/11 at 22:14:19
Post Tools
Having visited Glasgow and the Quality Chess head quarters last week, this enabled me to see from my own the amount of work the editors put in their books (and this is not the only thing i saw. I also glanced at some Avrukh's chapters for his new book! It will be absolutely fantastic, i guarantee!), so i can only agree with Mark. The writter can write everything he wants. It is the editors responsibility to make the final product how it really should be. Of course this is because the editor has signed a contract with the author for a specific subject, so he editor can ask the author to fullfill his demands.

Generally i am not so negative on reading other interesting stuff, annotated endings, or stories about lines that are not played anymore if the analysis is correct on the opening i am interested in. Once again, i would compare Taylor's analysis with Kritz's analysis (from a recent CBM) and with Jansa's analysis (from his book Dynamics of Chess Strategy) and then form an opinion about Taylor's work. Does these sources mentioned at the Bibliography? I would surprized if they are. Can anyone please compare the analysis? I want to buy the book, but i really don't want to give so much money only to discover later that Taylor hasn't done his job with the important sources.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #81 - 04/04/11 at 19:34:05
Post Tools
It's not him, it's his editors.  I suspect there is a freelance editor involved and that he has just thrown up his hands.  I thought that Taylor's Alekhine book was about 2/10, so I won't buy another of his until I hear a much better review than this.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

Reply #80 - 04/04/11 at 18:13:07
Post Tools
I recently acquired this book. There are a couple of things which i find very inconvenient but i think the analysis is rather top notch.

As usual, Taylor's recommendations are very dynamic and rather good. They certainly improve on whatever was written before, especially Khalifman's work. The good thing as well, is that he offers two solid main lines as well as two sharp gambits, basically appealing to everyone. The other good thing is, if you're more of a universal player (kinda what i like to think about myself) then you can use both and annoying people who are preparing against you.

HOWEVER, there are annoying things in the book which i alluded to earlier. Taylor doesn't have seemed to have learned from his previous books (at least the one on the alekhine that i have) in that he provides much useless information and sometime things that just do not need to be there. Let me give you a few examples:

There is one section in the Siesta line, where he gives about 2 pages of 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5. He gives us a long story about Tal, then goes on to say that the gambit is bad (he also calls it something weird as well, i thought it was just the Elephant gambit). What is the point of having this? i dont know.

There are also instances where its just damn confusing. So, in the Actual first chapter on the theory of the ...Nge7 solid line, the first two games are with the wrong move order. Now, Taylor goes on to point out that this is deliberately the wrong move and should not be adopted which is fine, but it has me wondering why approximately 4 pages were spent on it. A (at least in my view) better approach would have been to simply tell us the wrong move order, in a game (or two) which has the right move order.

Here's my biggest problem. For some reason, he forgets that this is an opening book quite a lot of the time. He gives entire games annotated; yes i even mean the endings fully annotated. I don't particularly see the point of doing this. The chance that you'll follow a game that long (if you can even remember that far) and that someone will improve on move 53 is extremely low, its probably never even happened ever. It's obvious that he's very passionate about these particular games that he annotates but perhaps in a seperate book written on the endgame. This goes into another problem of giving entire game scores. I'm not sure if he realises that everyone has chessbase these days, and that they can look up the rest of the game in the database.

The entire first section (which is about 40 pages long) is given on how world champions played this opening. Almost all of them have no theoretical significance, and a lot of them start off with a different move order so different positions are reached to the lines that he recommends. Again i don't see the point of this entire chapter; perhaps some useful themes can be grasped from a deep study of these games but like i said the positions are unique due to the different move orders. My suggestion would be (instead of this entire chapter), have puzzles both tactical and positional which reinforce the themes. I think this will work a lot better than asking 1600-2300 players go through about 10 games which they will probably just breeze through, not understanding some things along the way (thats what i did).

So all in all, i think the book is a solid 8.5/10. The analysis is very good as always with Taylor but i cannot get over the strange and sometimes downright confusing format that he presents his material in. There's little structure (he doesn't really miss much (i've only seen 2 small things since ive been studying it for about two week), it's just all muddled up between the games. The e-book format is also released so that would make it easier to just delete things that are unecessary (which is quite a lot of deleting).

BUT PLEASE IM TIMOTHY TAYLOR IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE READING THIS! CUT DOWN ON THE UNECESSARY MATERIAL! The good thing is though, he evidently loves his chess very much, which im guessing has enabled him to produce some high class analysis.

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #79 - 04/02/11 at 21:02:40
Post Tools
strawlegs wrote on 04/02/11 at 14:40:49:
In 1974, RHM put out a book How to Open a Chess Game with articles by big time GMs, including Keres, Larsen, and Petrosian.  Lajos Portisch recommended the modern Steinitz as a relatively simple practical choice for amateurs.

In this chapter there is the famous "Portischism":

"Your only task in the opening is to reach a playable middlegame."

In the same book Keres wrote about how he and his second developed new ideas in the Siesta and the Closed.

A classic book!

IP Logged

strawlegs
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #78 - 04/02/11 at 14:40:49
Post Tools
In 1974, RHM put out a book How to Open a Chess Game with articles by big time GMs, including Keres, Larsen, and Petrosian.  Lajos Portisch recommended the modern Steinitz as a relatively simple practical choice for amateurs.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #77 - 03/26/11 at 13:53:13
Post Tools
Depends how you play it that surely? With 4..f5 vs 4 c3 and Bg4/h5 etc vs o-o its active but maybe a little on the margins of soundness.

The sensible alternative stuff isn't especially active but perfectly sound.

Oh and the idea of getting an advantage as black against the lopez (with good play from white of course!) is very silly Smiley

IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

Reply #76 - 03/26/11 at 09:43:12
Post Tools
grrrrr. I chose cuts down on a load of theory. But i wanted to choose 3 answers in one!
Recommended because its active and cuts down on a load of theory!

IP Logged

walkingterrapin

Why play the Colle when
you can play 1.e4!!!!!!!!!

Reply #75 - 03/11/11 at 16:55:28
Post Tools
If you want an advantage against the Lopez you should play the marshall or give up on playing e5.  It isnt the Steintz

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #74 - 03/03/11 at 16:34:58
Post Tools
NeverGiveUp wrote on 03/03/11 at 14:34:24:
I have ordered the book - do you guys know when it will be published?

I think it's out next week, but don't quote me on that Wink

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

NeverGiveUp

Never despair in a lost
position

Reply #73 - 03/03/11 at 14:34:24
Post Tools
Back to this thread then ... the delayed Schliemann (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 f5) is similar to the Siesta  (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 d6 5.c3 f5!?) but less good - in the deferred Schliemann white can go 5.d4! ed4: 6.e5! with the better position, although the position remains complex. The deferred Schliemann can be used as a surprise weapon. I've done that if I needed to win against weaker players. I had a game where my opponent confused it with the regular Schliemann and went (after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 f5) 5.Nc3?! fe4:! 6.Ne4: b5 7.Bb3 d5 8.Nc3 Nf6 and black is better.   

Theoretically the Siesta is much better, since the main line 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 d6 5.c3 f5!? 6.ef5: Bf5: 7.0-0 Bd3 8.Re1 Be7 9.Bc2 Bc2: 10.Qc2: Nf6 11.d4 e4 12.Ng5 d5 13.f3 h6 14.Nh3 0-0 15.Nd2 ef3: 16.Nf3: offers white nothing. It might have some value as a surprise weapon as well, although I suspect lots of whites might be familiar with this line and then black is just playing a very drawish line rather than an attacking one. Still, this might be OK, so the only real theoretical test of the Modern Steinitz is 5.0-0.

I have ordered the book - do you guys know when it will be published?

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #72 - 02/28/11 at 10:36:10
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/28/11 at 10:26:12:
Evaluations, explanations and analyses are also information. You usually won't find them in a database.

Of course you will. Countless rubbishy books are based on the evaluations, explanations and analyses authors have culled from the databases. To his credit, Taylor's books aren't like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo