Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C00-C19: Help me!!! 3Nc3 or 3Nd2? (Read 7859 times)
Alias
God Member

Re: Help me!!! 3Nc3 or 3Nd2?
Reply #17 - 09/03/09 at 07:20:43
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 09/03/09 at 02:04:25:
Even a few months ago, I would have answered this question differently.

I would have said it doesn't really matter which opening you play as long as you are consistent with your own style.

I've been playing correspondence chess a fair bit lately and have come to the basic realization that it is different from other chess variants.

In correspondence chess, there is such a thing as a bad main-line opening.  If you are looking for absolute truth in the French, you pretty much have to search for it in the 3.Nc3 lines.  The Tarrasch is fine for otb chess and faster time controls but I am now convinced that it is not fine for correspondence chess.  

So, my answer now is that if you plan on playing 3.Nd2 or 3.e5 you can do so as long as you don't play correspondence chess. But if you want to play for absolute truth, you will have to play 3.Nc3.

I liked my understanding of chess better before I played correspondence chess.   Shocked

In the WC semifinals, I played 1.d4 as white and 1.e4 c5 as black, but at master class level I had +0 =4 -0 as black in the French and +2 =1 -0 with 3.e5 as white. The results were better than my positions after the openings.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #16 - 09/03/09 at 02:04:25
Post Tools
Even a few months ago, I would have answered this question differently.

I would have said it doesn't really matter which opening you play as long as you are consistent with your own style.

I've been playing correspondence chess a fair bit lately and have come to the basic realization that it is different from other chess variants.

In correspondence chess, there is such a thing as a bad main-line opening.  If you are looking for absolute truth in the French, you pretty much have to search for it in the 3.Nc3 lines.  The Tarrasch is fine for otb chess and faster time controls but I am now convinced that it is not fine for correspondence chess. 

So, my answer now is that if you plan on playing 3.Nd2 or 3.e5 you can do so as long as you don't play correspondence chess. But if you want to play for absolute truth, you will have to play 3.Nc3.

I liked my understanding of chess better before I played correspondence chess.   Shocked

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #15 - 09/02/09 at 18:10:29
Post Tools
I had problems with 3 Nc3 after watching some repertoire DVDs and trying to play it.  There are too many sharp lines where you can lose immediately if you don't know all of the theory or if you forget a move.  I got the Tzermiadianos book and French players getting mowed down by the dozens now.  It's really a great book.

I think you should go with the Tarrasch and the Tzermiadianos book.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/02/09 at 14:08:07
Post Tools
Well yes Smiley I've done all right 3 Nc3 myself, although maybe play it more for the sheer interest of the positions you get.

Actually I reckon the 7 .. o-o Winaver is all right - you just play Bd3/Qh5/Nf3 etc. The poisoned pawn maybe another matter. Always stuff like 7 h4 though.

The McCutheon is just baffling! I've both won and lost games with amazing ease in it. Fun though Smiley

A black player who hasn't seen this coming won't be so hugely prepared either of course. Actually same goes for the Najdorf in some ways - I've not had one as white in ~2 seasons with e4 now. So wouldn't make sense to have anything 'big' prepared!
(Mind you I'm not sure I've ever seen a main line 6 Be3 at a congress in the UK. We're not a terribly prepared bunch overall!).

Of course everything changes massively once people know how they're playing in advance.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #13 - 09/02/09 at 13:28:58
Post Tools
@MartinC

I see your point, but it's a bit funny that you are yourself a good counter-example since you DID have a dangerous pet line ready in 7...0-0 (incidentally one of my favorite blitz openings) Smiley

In any of the Classical with 7...Qb6, the Classical with 7...Be7, the MacCutcheon, the Winawer PP or the Winawer 7...0-0 I would absolutely not want to be White without serious preparation.

With 3.Nd2 on club level you will often meet French players with only a hazy idea of either playing with an IQP and often doing so too passively, or playing 3...Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 and attacking White's centre with standard moves like ...c5, Nc6, Qb6, f6 etc. In the latter case the result is the following main line:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.Bd3 [5.f4 could also be good on club level, if White is aware of all the possible ...Nxe5 sacrifices) 5...c5 6.c3 Nc6 7.Ne2 Qb6 8.Ndf3 cxd4 9.cxd4 f6 (I also often see 9...Bb4+) 10.exf6 Nxf6 11.0-0 Bd6 12.b3 0-0 and here either 13.Bf4 or 13.Bb2 give White comfortable play and good chances for an edge.

PS Of course theoretical knowledge on club level is often modest, but one thing that amazes me is the number of people who play the Najdorf (!) of all openings with little concrete knowledge. Probably they saw Fischer, Kasparov or Topalov play it and concluded it must be great, but still playing it without theory is insanely risky imho.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 09/02/09 at 09:26:28
Post Tools
Not to say anything against 3 Nd2 but in my experience a fair few people (respectable club level, UK) actually don't have an especially dangerous pet line vs main line 3 Nc3 stuff. Lots of move 6 deviations in the Winaver for instance - playable for black of course but nothing to scare white.

It does need a bit of basic work of course - when I was playing 7..o-o I was scoring massively as black, partially because no one knew to go 8 Bd3. So much so in fact I got driven to switching openings out of guilt (!).

FWIW I wasn't (still aren't) truly confident in my main line in that stuff. Not knowingly bad and very interesting but also really rather scary.....

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #11 - 09/02/09 at 09:22:59
Post Tools
dom wrote on 09/01/09 at 16:42:57:
[quote

The basic question being "what is Black plan if attack with knights leads to nowhere"....I don't work much about it, but is Black move  f6 (undermining pawn center) the right way ?

Yes the articles notes indicated that the position is equal in several lines and f6 is one on them.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #10 - 09/01/09 at 17:45:20
Post Tools
I've found Nd2 suits me and is my most successful line as White. This originally came from trying to play the French as Black and not finding a line I was happy with against Nd2; hence, play it as White ! This season I'll be developing it a little and trying to play Nd2, Ngf3 versus most lines as recommended by McDonald in his Starting Out: 1.e4 book. Quite sharp, while not giving Black what he wants i.e. to play his favourite line versus Nc3.

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #9 - 09/01/09 at 16:42:57
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 09/01/09 at 12:34:40:
About 3 e5 there was a small article in SOS 11 where white follows up with c3 g3 Ne2 Bh3 with the idea of caturing any black knight at f5. However, black appers so be equal there.

I am interested with this line ... because I talked some months ago with one IM which played against as Black... and can be worth a study, because 1) off-beat 2) no problem with d4 pawn like in Millner Barry after Bd3 3) plan is often found in other lines..

The basic question being "what is Black plan if attack with knights leads to nowhere"....I don't work much about it, but is Black move  f6 (undermining pawn center) the right way ?

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #8 - 09/01/09 at 12:34:40
Post Tools
About 3 e5 there was a small article in SOS 11 where white follows up with c3 g3 Ne2 Bh3 with the idea of caturing any black knight at f5. However, black appers so be equal there.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #7 - 09/01/09 at 11:14:32
Post Tools
My limited experience has lead me to think that 3.Nc3 requires more of the white player but might also be more rewarding. Some lines lead to quite unusual positions (MacCutcheon, Winawer with 0-0, Winawer with Qa5-a4) which could be tricky to play just once in a while for the white player. 3.Nd2 is safer. Many positions look quite close to equal but are probably easier to play for white than black. There has been several discussions about the merits of statistics in chess. I think that = lines that scores well for one side should probably be += (or =+) instead. In any case, I think that Kaufman wrote that 3.Nd2 scores better than 3.Nc3.

PS. 3.e5 is not a terrible move. See books by Sveshnikov. Grischuk played some excellent games with 3.e5.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #6 - 09/01/09 at 11:00:34
Post Tools
If I where White, I will prefer:

- Nc3, if I am tactical player, allowing the Winawer and the doubled c-pawns, because I am confident to win the PP-Winawer or the oo-Winawer

- Nd2, if I am positional player, dealing more with a long term advantage, I can convert to a winning middlegame or ending

but to be honest I prefer

- e5 the advance, because I like space advantage

....but I can change my mind quickly   Smiley

I don't own yet Tzermiadionos's  book ... but I learned a lot with Emms book about the Tarrasch

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 09/01/09 at 09:50:19
Post Tools
I have the same problem... I play Nc3 so far, but it is highly theoretical (Winawer poisened pawn, classical (different systems 7).

so maybe 3.Nd2 is more realistic ? Also tzermis book is quite good Undecided

IP Logged

Lurdock
YaBB Newbies

Orđstírr deyr aldregi

Reply #4 - 09/01/09 at 09:32:10
Post Tools
Maybe you should just chill out, play some games with each and see what you like. Just a point of definition: the Winawer arises after 3. Nc3 Bb4, but black has various other third move options.

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #3 - 09/01/09 at 06:28:19
Post Tools
Can I hear some more commnets?

Markovich, help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo