Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) what do KID players play against e4? (Read 3996 times)
wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: what do KID players play against e4?
Reply #10 - 08/30/09 at 10:11:43
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 08/30/09 at 01:40:15:
This thread doesn't belong in this section, I think.  Probably it should go in "General Chess."  We should reserve these theoretical sections for discussion of the systems that they cover.  Otherwise, we'll soon wind up with "What would a KID player play against the Latvian!!?"

the latvain?!  wasn't that refuted?  lol   Wink

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #9 - 08/30/09 at 03:18:59
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 08/30/09 at 01:40:15:
This thread doesn't belong in this section, I think.  Probably it should go in "General Chess."  We should reserve these theoretical sections for discussion of the systems that they cover.  Otherwise, we'll soon wind up with "What would a KID player play against the Latvian!!?"

Agreed.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #8 - 08/30/09 at 01:40:15
Post Tools

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/30/09 at 00:28:24
Post Tools
wcywing wrote on 08/25/09 at 12:47:06:
just wonder what other KID players play against e4.

If you are already a KID player, then the modern is a very attractive approach. You can start g6 against virtually anything then, and can rule out the anti-Indian systems (like Tromp) against d4 if you want to. Tiger's Modern is a good option, it is a fun way to play (suits me anyway), and the author is a KID player.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #6 - 08/26/09 at 13:13:35
Post Tools
When I played the King's Indian at the very start of my chess career, I played 1...e5 2.Nf3 Nc6, the Sveshnikov and the Caro-Kann as Black.

In my opinion, if you are going to determine your defence to 1.e4 based on your defence to 1.d4 (the King's Indian), one of the best approaches is to determine which positive features of the King's Indian attract you to this opening. Then find an 1.e4 defence which also meets these criteria. A good example of this approach is Radjabov's repertoire, as he combined the KID with the Sveshnikov quite effectively.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #5 - 08/25/09 at 22:19:49
Post Tools
I've played the Chigorin Ruy, and Sicilian Najdorf. All three are heavy on dark square play. The Najdorf and KID are very combative, and the Closed Ruy very often begins to look like a KID by move 20.

IP Logged

Net Warrior
YaBB Newbies

1.e4 best by test...Bobby
Fischer

Reply #4 - 08/25/09 at 19:26:57
Post Tools
I like the Alekhine's just because I can play 1...Nf6 no matter what. Smiley

I play therefore I am (USCF "A")

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/25/09 at 15:20:01
Post Tools
so many openings to choose, and i almost like most of them.  lol. 

as for cricket, i don't get understand it, but i consider myself a carnivore, though i can eat almost anything.  i like cheese and i prefer Brahms over Vivaldi; however i like Chopin best.   Wink

IP Logged

TicklyTim

can I take that back,
please...

Reply #2 - 08/25/09 at 15:18:42
Post Tools
wcywing wrote on 08/25/09 at 12:47:06:
just wonder what other KID players play against e4.  Bologan play c-k, Kasparov played Najdorf.  i heard some players like playing the pirc because the pawn structure is the same and lessens the study time (don't know if thats true).  do some players chess complimentary openings, or do they play something totally different?  

any comments are appreciated.  

I guess the KID can be played in many different ways, sacrificial or solid. So as your examples state, C-K & Narjdorf, and throw in 1..e5 and the French, a KID player could play anything!
Just depends what type of player they are, which maybe can't be deduced from playing the KID as a whole - but maybe from which variations they go for.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #1 - 08/25/09 at 14:19:47
Post Tools
Think this q has been asked dozens of times in different ways.

What do French/Caro/Pirc players play vs d4? What do Nimzo players play v e4 etc.

Are most cricket wicket keepers vegetarian? Do cheese-lovers prefer Vivaldi to Brahms?

Just pick an opening.

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

what do KID players play against e4?
08/25/09 at 12:47:06
Post Tools
just wonder what other KID players play against e4.  Bologan play c-k, Kasparov played Najdorf.  i heard some players like playing the pirc because the pawn structure is the same and lessens the study time (don't know if thats true).  do some players chess complimentary openings, or do they play something totally different? 

any comments are appreciated.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo