Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Should I play the Kan? (Read 2752 times)
Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Should I play the Kan?
Reply #2 - 09/06/09 at 04:07:28
Post Tools
1 more thought: why not play the schenegen?  I think it is like a more active Hedgehog, which you might have to play if you choose the Kan!?!?  ALso the Keres attack is looking better for black!
Zatara

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Should I play the Kan?
Reply #1 - 09/06/09 at 04:03:00
Post Tools
HI TN,
For what it is worth after 5.Bd3 and at some point c4 If you think black can get good play in this bind kind of position then go for it!!  I also think Hellsten (I think that is his name) wrote a good book on the kan.  You might just pick it up!!  Thanks again for all your help on my repertoire!!!
Take care,
Zatara

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Should I play the Kan?
09/01/09 at 21:50:01
Post Tools
Should I add the Kan Sicilian (aka Paulsen) to my Black repertoire? I like the flexibility it offers Black, it's theoretical reputation is solid and it seems to provide an attractive combination of solidity with aggression. I would prefer to avoid the most theoretical and fashionable variations if possible.

Here are the lines I intend to study; what is your opinion of them?

a) 5.Bd3 Ne7 - solid, not much theory, and only a small edge for White at best.
b) 5.Nc3 b5 6.Bd3 Bb7 - avoiding the fashionable 6...Qb6 to cut down on the amount of recent theory that one must study. I don't know the reputation of this line at present although I assume that White has to possess a slight edge here.
c) 5.c4 Nf6 6.Nc3 Qc7, meeting 7.a3 with the double-edged 7...Ne4 and other moves with 7...Nc6 or 7...Bb4.
d) Other moves: Either 5...b5 or 5...Nf6.

Your comments would be much appreciated.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo