Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Build up your Chess Vol 3 - Yusupov book question (Read 37059 times)
Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Build up your Chess Vol 3 - Yusupov book question
Reply #15 - 09/20/09 at 20:28:30
Post Tools
thanks for the informations guys.

I have Build up your chess vol 2 which is mighty intresting. It does demand some dedication and to be honest: it is my impression that the 1500- 1800 label should be 1600-1900.

Anyway I am considering buying vol 1 to work on during commute. Vol 2 is too hard for me to work through without a board.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #14 - 09/17/09 at 13:01:29
Post Tools
Jesse Gersenson wrote on 09/17/09 at 11:00:43:
Quote:
it looks like it is intended that you should read the all the low-rating ones first, then all the middle-rating ones, etc

You misread the tread.

I did read the Quality Chess Books forum thread and I understand it, but I was not talking about the thread in that sentence, but the original German page, which presents the entire series in the form "Tigersprung auf DWZ 1500" (3 volumes, with chapter titles proceeding consecutively through all 3 volumes), "Tigersprung auf DWZ 1800" (ditto), and "Tigersprung auf DWZ 2100" (ditto).

While I am sure that Shaw is correct that you can get something out of jumping back and forth in the sequence, from the full German contents it seems clear that the intended path is not to read one 1500, one 1800, one 2100, and then jump back to 1500 (and that would be an awfully weird path anyway).

In any case, I'm glad to hear that Boost vol 1 (aka DWZ 1500 vol 2 Smiley) is just as good as the others.  I'm doing OK with Build Up vol 2 (aka DWZ 1800 vol 1) but I think I should return to the 1500 volumes after that.

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #13 - 09/17/09 at 11:00:43
Post Tools
Boost up your chess 1 is great. It's in the same format as the other books in the series: a short lesson with excellent examples, followed by 12 test positions.

It's harder in german because my german is awful. I'll will have to work through the book again when it arrives in english.

Chapter 1 - tactics - windmill
Chapter 2 - strategy - (skipped)
Chapter 3 - tactics - weak back rank

Quote:
it looks like it is intended that you should read the all the low-rating ones first, then all the middle-rating ones, etc

You misread the tread.

Aagaard writes, "In gerenal I would recommend anyone wanting to work with these books, to go through them all."

Shaw writes, "Your question about which order to read them is interesting, but I am not sure there is a single correct answer. Chess knowledge is often specific, so the order you read the books may not be critical. For example, someone who reads Volume 2 of the first series (the “Beyond the Basics” level) will probably still learn a lot from Volume 1 of the second series (the “Fundamentals” level)."

Silman's review says there will be three books total. This is incorrect. There will be 9.

IP Logged

Peonazo
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 09/16/09 at 21:35:34
Post Tools
Hi Jesse

So you have the german version of "Boost Your Chess Vol 1" right? Please could you tell us a little bit about this book? It will be publisehd in November so I cant wait to get it.

I hope these guys at qualitychess hurry up so we can work through the series in order... all 3 u1500 first before going to the harder levels.

Best Regards  Cool

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #11 - 09/13/09 at 06:00:40
Post Tools
the layout of the english books is better than the german books, but the content is the same.

Today i got the german version of U1500, book 2. It's the same difficulty as Build up your chess the fundamentals 1. Which is a relief, Beyond the basics 2 was too tough.
« Last Edit: 09/13/09 at 15:32:50 by Jesse Gersenson »  
IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #10 - 09/12/09 at 15:44:45
Post Tools
Ah, looking more carefully at the German page, they are being written in that order as well.  Odd.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #9 - 09/12/09 at 15:40:53
Post Tools
Thanks for the link and info, Jesse.

I agree that for the right kind of person (someone self-motivated who wants a workbook of challenging problems pitched at the right level, with excellent explanatory answers) these books are super.  Luckily I am that kind of person too.  Working through volumes 1 and (half of) 2 has definitely helped with my ability to concentrate on difficult positions, and is a perfect example of Rowson's "edge of your comfort zone" principle.

It is a little odd that the translations are coming out in a weird order.  From looking at the German page mentioned in the Quality Chess thread (http://jussupow.de/22982.html) it looks like it is intended that you should read the all the low-rating ones first, then all the middle-rating ones, etc (for example, the chapter numbering of the second U1500 book picks up where the first one left off).  Maybe they wanted to release a selection of levels at the start to increase the size of the audience.

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #8 - 09/12/09 at 06:32:26
Post Tools
the yusupov series is discussed at length on the quality chess blog:
http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/?p=115

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #7 - 09/12/09 at 06:31:29
Post Tools
Quote:
dfan: Do you also find that these are aimed a little higher than the stated ratings?

according to the guys at quality chess, the ratings are not to be taken too seriously. see link in next post.

Quote:
I've kind of stalled out in the openings chapters of Vol 2 as well, since they don't correspond much to what I play.

quickly skim over these chapters and move on to the next chapter.

i worked through book 1. took me 6 months. My rating was 1450. It was, by far, the best book i've read for improving my play. a workbook, a perfect book for me. My rating jumped 350 points.

then, i started the under 1800 book, Build up your chess Beyond the basics 2. It was frustrating. I put it down.

took a look at the german version of the second under 1500 book - it is scheduled for english publication November 15th 2009 and will be titled "Boost your Chess 1".

looks great.

I'm gonna wait for it to come out.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/12/09 at 03:32:06
Post Tools
Hello:

The 3 books are reviewed at Jeremy Silman's site. John Donaldson, writing about Vol. 1, says some of it could be useful even to masters (who learned chess outside the Soviet system), due to gaps in their knowledge. Says something similar about Vol. 2.

I have always thought this is a reason why many of us struggle as we learn chess piecemeal without a plan from the beginning. Almost like tearing into Calculus before learning to multiply.

Gerry

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #5 - 09/11/09 at 21:49:18
Post Tools
I'm still in Vol 1 actually; I bought the second Volume on a whim and to look at the Petroff section.  I find plenty of the exercises in Vol 1 hard enough, but I'm not a club player and have no rating so can make no guess at the relevance of the estimated rating ranges Yusupov gives, I'm afraid. But yes, there are lots of easy positions in Vol 1 but some that I find very taxing.  Undecided

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #4 - 09/11/09 at 20:52:34
Post Tools
I've kind of stalled out in the openings chapters of Vol 2 as well, since they don't correspond much to what I play.  I should soldier through and finish it.

Not sure yet whether I'll get volume 3 - I got mostly Excellents and Goods in volume 1, now mostly Good and Pass in volume 2 with a few Fails.  This despite already being 1800, which volume is supposed to build me up to!  Do you also find that these are aimed a little higher than the stated ratings?

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/11/09 at 20:00:02
Post Tools
Thanks for that, Alias. Well, in looking at the Petroff (using his Vol 2) I see that there are similarities and some transpostions to the QGA from that opening, so in some ways perhaps they make a nice pairing. I understand Silman's point about these choices, though; was just curious to see if there was going to be a pattern in the openings themselves rather than a suggestion regarding methods of repertoire construction. Book 2 is difficult enough for me, anyway, so I won't be buying the third one anytime soon....  

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/11/09 at 13:51:10
Post Tools

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/07/09 at 19:33:40
Post Tools
Well, maybe nobody has a copy yet, then....

in Vol 2 there was a nice little introduction to the Petroff for black and Vol 3 seems to have a section on something against 1d4.  Just wondered what he was suggesting - QGD would be my guess but if anyone knows.....?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo