Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Attacking with the Isolated Queen's Pawn by Emms (Read 10364 times)
XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Re: Attacking with the Isolated Queen's Pawn by Emms
Reply #12 - 03/28/21 at 14:44:39
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 01/22/21 at 14:26:47:
Erm, and if they did, then what? But a little searching online makes me wonder if this book was ever actually published. I see results on pirate sites, but the results on legitimate sites, including everymanchess, are all dead ends.

Well I asked because I wanted to buy it. And nowhere to be found. I wondered if anybody has it for which I would pay. Throughout my chess life I have bought over a thousand physical books. Nowadays I just download from ichess.net, modern-chess, and thechesssworld.com Also I have access to chess.com, chess24, chesspublishing and chessable which are not for free of course. I lost count on how much money I have spent on chess.
But like you said maybe it was never published.

« Last Edit: 03/28/21 at 20:43:36 by XChess1971 »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #11 - 01/23/21 at 13:44:17
Post Tools
I'm with an ordinary chessplayer: This book was probably never actually published.

The various booksellers online report publication dates all over the place (though mostly in the range 2013 to 2015). And none of them seem to have it for sale.

On bookfinder.com I get just one measly hit for the book, whether new or used: https://www.amazon.es/dp/1857446283. That is in itself unusual, and there the publication date is suddenly in 2020, though it's still unavailable.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #10 - 01/23/21 at 04:40:28
Post Tools
Amazon.ca gives this:

Quote:
Product details
Publisher : Everyman Chess; First edition (Dec 1 2015)
Language : English
Paperback : 192 pages
ISBN-10 : 1857446283
ISBN-13 : 978-1857446289
Item Weight : 505 g
Best Sellers Rank: #3,156,017 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#4,611 in Chess (Books)

And goes on to say, "Currently Unavailable." 

If you've ever seen South Park you already know it is highly unlikely that any Cannuckian would ever lie.  Shocked

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #9 - 01/22/21 at 14:26:47
Post Tools
Erm, and if they did, then what? But a little searching online makes me wonder if this book was ever actually published. I see results on pirate sites, but the results on legitimate sites, including everymanchess, are all dead ends.

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #8 - 01/22/21 at 05:23:38
Post Tools
I wonder if anybody has a pdf of Attacking with the IQP?

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #7 - 04/15/11 at 03:26:54
Post Tools
Laszlo Hazai's book 'Chess' on the Middlegame has a fantastic section on IQPs, both from the attacking and defending side. But it's structured like the Informant in that it doesn't have any worded explanations, so it would only be useful for players over 2000.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #6 - 04/15/11 at 02:11:55
Post Tools
Ability to play with the IQP separates the, umm, big boys from the little boys, so this book should be a must for all little boys. It's likely to illustrate a bunch of thematic tactics, so it should be good that way as well.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

up and comer

Reply #5 - 04/14/11 at 23:58:05
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 09/30/09 at 05:18:14:
Baburin's book is out of print, so there's room in the market.  

Yes out of market, with the best price I could find being 100 dollars. Hopefully Emms book will be a decent substitute. Looks like it will be coming out in october, still have 6 more months to wait Sad.

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #4 - 10/05/09 at 16:47:42
Post Tools
I will probably buy this book when it comes out. One of the things that I like about Sokolov's "Winning Chess Middlegames" is how the discussion of the pawn structures is interlaced with opening theory. I have only studied the hanging pawns centre in depth so far. and I think this book is the single most useful book I have on learning the Tartokower - not only in terms of understanding, but also being up to date on modern opening theory.

If Emms could produce a work similar to that, it would greatly enhance the book's utility.

The title too should be appealing to many amateurs who like to attack, but are afraid of isolated pawn  positions. Good marketing with the title name...should sell well, I suspect.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/30/09 at 05:45:33
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 09/29/09 at 13:58:37:
I wonder, if I already own Baburin's classic won't this just be redundant?

I also wonder why Emms chose this topic for a book when Baburin already has dealt with it so brilliantly.  I will probably try to find a copy to look at but don't hold much hope for it.  

I agree that Baburin's book was a classic, but given that the number of games in the databases have increased exponentially since the publication of that book, it makes sense for Emms to write an update. Also, Emms is an excellent author, so I am confident that he will do a good job with this upcoming book - I have been very impressed with his books for Everyman and his analysing on ChessPublishing.

Including some opening analysis (which afaik Baburin did not do) of typical IQP positions such as the Nimzo, Panov-Botvinnik and Alapin Sicilian tabiyas could be a good way to differentiate the book from Baburin's work.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #2 - 09/30/09 at 05:18:14
Post Tools
Baburin's book is out of print, so there's room in the market.  Plus Emms is generally a fairly good writer, right?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 09/29/09 at 13:58:37
Post Tools
I wonder, if I already own Baburin's classic won't this just be redundant?

I also wonder why Emms chose this topic for a book when Baburin already has dealt with it so brilliantly.  I will probably try to find a copy to look at but don't hold much hope for it.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Attacking with the Isolated Queen's Pawn by Emms
09/29/09 at 11:05:59
Post Tools
From http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Attacking_with_the_Isolated_Queen%27s_P...:

Attacking with the Isolated Queen's Pawn
John Emms
The Isolated Queen's Pawn arises in countless chess positions, because this pawn structure can be reached via a host of popular openings: the Sicilian, the Caro-Kann, the French, the Queen's Gambit and the Nimzo-Indian to name a few. Love them or hate them, these positions are very difficult to avoid, so you really need to know what to do when you get them.

In this book, John Emms examines the key tactical and positional ideas in IQP positions, with an emphasis on how to attack and how to defend. In addition, he also explores openings which lead to IQPs, and suggests repertoire options which make sure you reach the positions you desire.

A Grandmaster's guide to IQPs
Includes practical tips on opening choices
Ideal for improvers, club players and tournament players.
Published May 2010 EU, April 2010 US | ISBN 9781857446289
Format Paperback, 192 pages

This book looks like an update of Baburin's 'Winning Pawn Structures' to me, with some repertoire advice included as well. In any case, this should be a high-quality book with Emms as the author.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo