Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Trompowsky Question (Read 4690 times)
Dante88
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Trompowsky Question
Reply #4 - 02/01/10 at 09:05:14
Post Tools
Hey all,

Saub is absolutely right in Trompowsky "giving" equality to Black in exchange for dynamic positions.  I used to dedicate my chess repertoire to the Trompowsky when I was younger and a lower class player (now currently class B with a performance rating around 1700+).  Now I'm booked on the main lines of most 1...Nf6 games (Benoni, Grunfeld, Nimzo-Indian, KID) and will willingly play them as white, but I still use the Tromp on the occasion I want to get my opponent out of his comfortable book lines.

As for the line given in the original post, I suggest a simple 7.Nc3 as a response.  You can answer 7...Nb4 (threatening the fork-check at c2) with 8.Qa5+ which forces the Knight back to c6, lest it be captured.  A good answer to 7...e6 could be 8.a3 to prevent the knight or bishop from invading at b4.

Good chess and good luck.

DVS

P.S.
Any smart 1.d4 player will know a good response to 1...d5.  A "strictly Tromp" player, might like 2.Bf4 or even a London System.  I, however, enjoy the 2.c4 lines.

DVS

AIM  
IP Logged

Pier lala
YaBB Newbies

Auf tutti!

Reply #3 - 01/25/10 at 23:28:26
Post Tools
I guess 2.c4

But i don't know, there are too many strange people playing chess.. Cheesy

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #2 - 11/11/09 at 15:26:41
Post Tools
saubhikr wrote on 10/18/09 at 12:15:54:
I have played over 100 tournament games with Trompowsky (my favorite opening).

Ok!! And what do you play against 1...d5?

Thx.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #1 - 10/18/09 at 12:15:54
Post Tools
I have played over 100 tournament games with Trompowsky (my favorite opening). The key is white does NOT have any advantage in it. What it gives is a dynamic position where each player can play for win and better player wins. Then why do I play this? Because I do not believe a whole lot many mainlines gives a sure advantage to white anyway. On top, black can have their favorite lines and play the moves from memeory and that may prevail over better chess playing skills. tromp does give you familiarity to structures and enough imbalance to win.

So the summary is do not look for "advantage" for white. rather understand the key plus & minus each side has and how you can make better use of yours.

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Trompowsky Question
09/30/09 at 22:05:18
Post Tools
1 d4 Nf6 2 Bg5 Ne4 3 Bf4 d5 4 e3 Bf5 5 f3 Nf6 6 c4, now I have been analyzing the move 6...Nc6 and it seems to me that this move equalizes for Black. Does Wells in Winning with the Trompowsky or Davies in The Trompowsky cover what White should do against 6...Nc6? Also, do they give and other options for White other than 6 c4?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo