Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Christoph's Gambit!? (Read 142964 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: Christoph's Gambit!?
Reply #92 - 05/10/10 at 14:37:46
Post Tools
Man, no one is gonna like this - pushed back off the Coming Soon list, and 6 months. Ooooof.

Angry

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #91 - 05/10/10 at 10:12:28
Post Tools
Gambit wrote on 05/10/10 at 02:19:15:
What do you expect?

More than a database dump with an occasional meaningless remark. The monthly magazine of my club had now and then more substance some 20, 30 years ago.

I checked you article(s) several times, but there was nothing on 9...c6. But if it will appear in UON 27 it's fine with me.

Thanks for saving the time of browsing through another 20 volumes.

From a practical point of view your article on 5...c6 6.a3 does not exist for me, because there is no way for me to obtain it.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #90 - 05/10/10 at 02:19:15
Post Tools
What do you expect? Kaissiber has a professional staff, with high-rated players contributing material. It has titled players, and is consistently in German. UON articles have been published in Italian, French, English and German languages. The editor does all  the editing work himself, although materials come in the email.

Yes, my articles are of better quality than some others. That is because I take a lot of time and research putting them together. Also, the second part of the Zilbermints Gambit in the Euwe Defense is scheduled for UON #27. But if you are so restless, check UON #25 to find a few 9...c6 and 9...c5 games.

With regard to  5...c6 6 a3 in the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit, the relevant magazine is Blackmar-Diemer Gambit World #79, August-October 1997, pages 104-107. Yes, the article exists, and was published, almost 13 years ago now.

I have played the 6 a3 line on the Internet Chess Club and scored pretty well with it.

YIM  
IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #89 - 05/09/10 at 14:37:52
Post Tools
I agree, I flicked through all 25 newsletters and didn't think much of a large majority of them.  LDZ's contributions are usually among the better ones- particularly the articles on 8.0-0 in the Euwe Defence.  I must admit I found Rick Kennedy's articles on the (completely unsound) Jerome Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7+) quite interesting.

Also, most of the openings in there are too unorthodox even for my taste- many are comparable in soundness to the Jerome.  I'd go as far as to say that 8.0-0 in the Euwe Defence is easily one of the sounder ideas mentioned in there, and at least has a rationale, which I can't say for many of the others.

The pieces on the Halloween were also fairly decent but there's a better analysis of the line in Kaissiber 22, which ties in with MNb's last point.  I ordered numerous back issues of Kaissiber three months ago and haven't been disappointed with any of them.  Unlike in UON the openings covered in Kaissiber also tend to be playable short of the 2400 level and sometimes higher.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #88 - 05/09/10 at 14:20:42
Post Tools
After browsing through a few volumes I must admit I don't think too high of it. 90% is just games without any analysis, with now and then a comment like "this exchange sac results in interesting play." LDZ's article, if read as a set of 5 different articles, is a positive exception. I doubt the relevance though.
It's that I am genuinely interested in 5...c6 6.a3, but otherwise I doubt I would look any further.

I must admit though that any fan of the Dutch player Du Chattel who wants to collect all of his games has to consult UON 26. Also I found a decent article on 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Be2 Nf6 4.d4.

If you look for inspiring analysis though you should prefer Kaissiber.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #87 - 05/09/10 at 02:27:18
Post Tools
motörhead wrote on 05/08/10 at 21:44:27:
MNb wrote on 05/08/10 at 14:03:33:
Though I am not certain how glad I am now I know how LDZ looks like. 

Oh no...
Sorry, that is not very kind. I know, there was and is some trouble. But that is too personal, you went too far.
I don't like that. I think you are able to act with much more sovereignty.

motörhead

Oh I don't know. Not abusive at all, just drily amusing. Guess something more exotic was hoped for. An ill-trimmed comedy beard, red bulbous nose, wild eyes or something.
'Sovereignty'?

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #86 - 05/08/10 at 22:46:44
Post Tools
The UON 25 article on the Euwe Defence 8.0-0 looks like a combining of previous articles rather than anything new, flicking through some of the older editions.  It makes quite a convincing case against 8...Nxd4 9.Kh1 Nf5, 9...Nc6, and 9...Nxf3- I remember looking at 9...Nxf3 with Fritz 10 some time ago and thinking that White had reasonable compensation, and the article reinforces my view.   I can't find coverage of the more critical 9...c6 or 9...c5 though, which I recall leading to an advantage for Black.  I certainly can't find anything on 5...c6 6.a3.

IP Logged

motörhead

Here comes the bass, thunder
in the guts...

Reply #85 - 05/08/10 at 21:44:27
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 05/08/10 at 14:03:33:
Though I am not certain how glad I am now I know how LDZ looks like. 

Oh no...
Sorry, that is not very kind. I know, there was and is some trouble. But that is too personal, you went too far.
I don't like that. I think you are able to act with much more sovereignty.

motörhead

A walk trough the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #84 - 05/08/10 at 14:03:33
Post Tools
Thanks a lot indeed, CBS.
If he could be so kind to tell me in which item 5...c6 6.a3 can be found?

Edit: Possibly I am deaf, dumb and blind, but I could not find anything about 9...c6 or 9...h6.

Edit2: I have removed the part Motorhead did not like. That is no guarantee that I will "act with sovereignty" in the future though; after all I am not a nice guy.

Bibs wrote on 05/09/10 at 02:27:18:
Oh I don't know. Not abusive at all, just drily amusing. Guess something more exotic was hoped for. An ill-trimmed comedy beard, red bulbous nose, wild eyes or something.

That was my intention indeed - I always have had a picture of LDZ in my mind like a famous painting of Mussorgsky, someone I immensely admire.
But in the first place I don't want this thread to descend into another !@#$%^. Perhaps next time.
« Last Edit: 05/09/10 at 14:02:55 by MNb »  

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #83 - 05/08/10 at 10:21:25
Post Tools
Thanks for this, CBS. Hours of fun!

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #82 - 05/08/10 at 08:26:48
Post Tools
I found an archive of UON here:

http://www.asigc.it/teoria/uon/uon.htm

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #81 - 05/08/10 at 07:59:10
Post Tools
Send me an email here.

YIM  
IP Logged

BDG Lover
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #80 - 05/07/10 at 22:43:54
Post Tools
Gambit, how does one get "Unorthodox Openings Newletter #25."??  It sounds interesting.  Smiley

Play without fear.
IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #79 - 05/07/10 at 16:37:54
Post Tools
I sent it to you a couple of times, but you never received it in the email. Will have to try again.

YIM  
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #78 - 05/06/10 at 18:49:23
Post Tools
It's annoying indeed. What the eff is taking so damn long to send me that 5...c6 6.a3 article?! Get it out, Lev D Zilbermintz! Make it snappy!

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo