Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) chess training sites on the internet (Read 7150 times)
Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Re: chess training sites on the internet
Reply #16 - 11/02/12 at 07:13:36
Post Tools
Chess mentor on chess.com is awesome.

It tests you on positional themes as well as some tactics and keeps track of your progress.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #15 - 10/26/12 at 11:48:35
Post Tools
I like the "Guess the Move"-tool on www.chessgames.com

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #14 - 10/25/12 at 09:29:53
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/23/12 at 18:19:45:
Larsen_fan wrote on 10/23/12 at 17:55:54:
I asked Aagaard on the QC blog if he ever considered making a training site with high quality training program using all the quality training material he has and his training experience.

Actually, Ruslan mentioned that he liked Aagaard's puzzle books, which is pretty high praise! Smiley

I am currently working on Aagaard's Excelling at Chess Calculation. In the end of the book, he has put a test with 100 positions which is quite interesting (some explanations or sub-variations may be missing from the solutions, but the selection is fantastic). If you get a perfect score you are supposed to be around 2700 of elo strength, so sorry Ruslan, you'll have to lose some elo points..  Wink

P.S.: I also use ChessTempo mostly for endgame training, e.g. how to win technical Rook endgames (with reduced material), Q vs. R or R+B vs. R positions and the like. It has a disadvantage though: you are always put in the position of the winning side, so you cannot train in how to defend these positions..

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #13 - 10/23/12 at 18:54:00
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/22/12 at 22:06:50:
Wwqlcw wrote on 10/22/12 at 20:13:27:

Has anyone tried their endgame stuff?

Just simple tactics isn't it?

ChessTempo has endgame training as well from tablebase positions. As for the Tactics training, Pono could use the blitz mode and see if he can score 95% in less than 7 secs. per puzzle...  Cheesy

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #12 - 10/23/12 at 18:19:45
Post Tools
Larsen_fan wrote on 10/23/12 at 17:55:54:
I asked Aagaard on the QC blog if he ever considered making a training site with high quality training program using all the quality training material he has and his training experience.

Actually, Ruslan mentioned that he liked Aagaard's puzzle books, which is pretty high praise! Smiley

IP Logged

Larsen_fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 10/23/12 at 17:55:54
Post Tools
Hi

I asked Aagaard on the QC blog if he ever considered making a training site with high quality training program using all the quality training material he has and his training experience. He answered a bit cryptic that he had something in mind that he hoped to get going in two years but that it was probably something different from what I was thinking?!
In the mean time there is always http://www.chessmasterschool.com/ which will take Pono to 2300 in no time  Grin

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #10 - 10/22/12 at 22:06:50
Post Tools

Has anyone tried their endgame stuff?

Just simple tactics isn't it?

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 10/22/12 at 20:37:51
Post Tools
I've often thought it would be nice to have questions/exercises at the end of books like My System. It can be very hard to know whether you know a chapter well or not without them. And it doesn't have to be confined to chess boards with solutions, that way it's easy to forget the concepts and remember the particular solution for that puzzle.   

"I don't recall saying good luck."

IP Logged

Wwqlcw
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 10/22/12 at 20:13:27
Post Tools
http://chesstempo.com/

http://chess.emrald.net/

These meet at least some of Grandmaster Ponomariov's requirements, though I can't begin to attest to the accuracy of the high ends of their scales...

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #7 - 10/22/12 at 19:18:10
Post Tools
GM Ruslan Ponomariov (a loyal ChessPublishing.com subscriber, I might add!) was asking me if I knew of any sites where he could:

Quote:
"improve my calculation of chess variations, defend difficult positions, better endgames etc."

and also where

Quote:
"your results are saved on the server so that you can see your progress"

A good question! Of course, as he mentioned there are plenty of books that cover this (and there are also plenty of sites where you can do simple tactics), but does anyone know of any appropriate web sites?
I guess they would have to be very, very difficult to interest a 2700+ GM, though! Wink

Quote:
well, I also signed up on improveyourchess now, I think all the principal things seem to be covered, I didn't find anything similar on the net, the price is fair,

Good Wink

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/08/09 at 22:04:20
Post Tools
thanks for the chess.com tip, I will look into that. Well tbh. I can push myself harder, when there others around against whom I compete, and you don't get distracted so much, since you are often in a place where you can't go get yourself some coffee, or look something up on the internet or lose yourself in icc blitz ... you are there just to do chess, nothing else, and if you get distracted there are often other people, who get you back on track Smiley.
But it's hard in chess, in my chessclub people do only play blitz, noone wants to learn anything ... but I want to take with me some endgames and middlegame books to the club and try to animate them to join Smiley  let's see how this will turn out ...
well, I also signed up on improveyourchess now, I think all the principal things seem to be covered, I didn't find anything similar on the net, the price is fair, but of course i can't tell yet how good the site really is.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 12/07/09 at 21:27:13
Post Tools
So true Smyslov_Fan. Motivation is a tricky beast.

One of the few chess books I've read cover to cover in the last 10 years was Khmelnitsky's Chess Exam, I think because there was an additional push beside the chess: Structured testing and the promise of statistical comparison with other test-takers.

Funnily though, the main things I learned from working my way through the book had to do with my warped, inefficient thinking process, and were not really anticipated in Khmelnitsky's scales...

Similarly with the promise of a brilliant "system" of thinking by such writers as Silman, Kotov and Purdy. I now believe that the main effect of this is motivational: You want those "special" skills and you eagerly work through the book, but over time it's the exposure to instructive positions and great games that really delivers improvement (as predicted by the chunking/templates theories of chess skill btw.).

http://www.nudges.org/

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #4 - 12/07/09 at 20:33:19
Post Tools
Kylemeister, the psychology is completely sound, and ages-old.

The saying the path to Hell is paved with good intentions reflects the fact that while the Spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.

Here in America, people often need to invest money to force themselves to work harder.  Others simply work with a good friend who will push them. 

So Battleangel's complaint is fairly insightful, and common!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 12/07/09 at 18:45:13
Post Tools
This "I want to improve my chess, but without pressure I won't do anything" seems a bit puzzling/paradoxical.  Wanting to improve one's chess would seem to imply that one is interested in chess, which would seem to imply that one would enjoy, for example, studying some good chess books.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 12/07/09 at 18:22:45
Post Tools
Chess.com has a large database of tactical problems, has "chess mentor" program that leads you through positions, mostly with strategical aims and planning. They also have videos made by titled players on lots of different topics. They have Correspondence and Blitz options to play any time of day. It's a nice site to go to if you'd like some instruction.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo