Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mega Database Price Outrage (Read 31012 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: Mega Database Price Outrage
Reply #35 - 12/23/09 at 08:48:15
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 12/22/09 at 14:26:42:
Well Chessbase used to have a free online database.

That probably explains why I visited the site today, only to find that "service is unavailable"..

Anyone knows if this is only temporary? I use a lot this database when I'm at work (it's one of the few useful chess sources I am allowed to access)  Sad

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #34 - 12/23/09 at 01:25:56
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/22/09 at 13:10:12:
If you want the article then pay for it, if not there is absolutely no way one can justify stealing it.

Generally speaking yes, but if I want to pay for something that is not for sale anymore I don't have many scruples to get it illegally.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

nimzo5

d4!

Reply #33 - 12/22/09 at 20:13:32
Post Tools
I subscribe to openingmaster. The games are not annotated but I get all the CC games etc. I had an old megabase and twic updates and I found that openingmaster is more complete.
Their site leaves something to be desired but I have had zero issues with their databases etc.

1950 Fide - 2050 if you omit Sunday Morning first rounds Smiley

IP Logged

Net Warrior
YaBB Newbies

1.e4 best by test...Bobby
Fischer

Reply #32 - 12/22/09 at 17:03:14
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/22/09 at 12:13:03:
Net Warrior wrote on 12/21/09 at 21:25:33:
I'm pretty cluesless about databases.  I recently bought Fritz 10 and I wonder if it has a feed reader.  Does anyone know if it has a feed reader and how I would recognize it, or where I could get one?   Sad Embarrassed

Can't you read feeds with any browser these days? In Internet Explorer there is an orange icon that 'lights up' whenever there is a feed to read.

Ah, thanks a million

I play therefore I am (USCF "A")

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #31 - 12/22/09 at 15:08:55
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 12/22/09 at 14:52:11:
Fear of piracy is the reason that most chess book publishers will not follow Everyman Chess' model of releasing ebooks. The whole book publishing model is archaic and needlessly redundant when you think about it. Writers spend hours putting games into Chessbase. Publishers then spend hours converting the  chessbase files into hard paper. Buyers then spend hours entering the games on the hard paper back into chessbase as they study them and analyse them. Isn't this madness?

I think everybody does this to some extent (If not, what would be the point of a program like Bookup/COW?!) but still the copyright warning in many books mentions "storing [any part of this publication] in a retrieval system" as illegal without prior permission! Even productive author John Watson admitted in one of his book reviews to spending countless hours manually inputing book lines into Chessbase.

So this particular aspect of copyright law is pretty much a joke.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #30 - 12/22/09 at 14:52:11
Post Tools
Fear of piracy is the reason that most chess book publishers will not follow Everyman Chess' model of releasing ebooks. The whole book publishing model is archaic and needlessly redundant when you think about it. Writers spend hours putting games into Chessbase. Publishers then spend hours converting the  chessbase files into hard paper. Buyers then spend hours entering the games on the hard paper back into chessbase as they study them and analyse them. Isn't this madness?

I don't approve of piracy. I don't use torrent and I don't share my digital chess materials with others who have not bought them. However, I will not judge anyone else harshly since when I was a kid, my only chess books were ones I photocopied.

Stigma wrote on 12/22/09 at 14:36:25:
Copy protection won't stop the most determined and knowledgeable thiefs, but it should deter at least some would-be filesharers.

Yes, enforcement is only one part of the picture. Sellers have to find creative ways to make people more likely to buy their product instead of stealing it. For example, once upon a time, I had to wait months to see a new US movie on the big screen. You can be sure that long before that, pirated copies were available on video. The US movie industry moved in the direction of simultaneous world wide releases largely to combat piracy. Now I can go see Avator right now in my local cinema whereas a few years ago, it would probably have not been released until March next year! So i am less likely to rent that pirated copy.

I think Chessbase recognises this. For instance, the downloadable Chessbase Light Premium now has almost all of the feature of the full verson of Chessbase full edition. Less incentive for piracy. They have to look for other creative ways with their other products to make buyers more likely to buy them than to steal them.

GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/22/09 at 13:10:12:
I wonder if they have been forced to up the price because so many people thieve it? So the honest people have to pay more because of the dishonest ones? Sad

Not necessarily. There is a controversial  argument that piracy had a positive effect on legal sales in the music industry for instance.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #29 - 12/22/09 at 14:36:25
Post Tools
I have an impression that attitudes toward copyright are (even) more relaxed in Eastern Europe.

Maybe for that reason Convekta has used copy protection on many of its products, and really I think Chessbase should consider the same. It's easy to take a moral stand and simply admonish people to follow the law, but what can you actually do about it when many practice "sharing" among friends and on the internet?

Copy protection won't stop the most determined and knowledgeable thiefs, but it should deter at least some would-be filesharers.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #28 - 12/22/09 at 14:26:42
Post Tools
Well Chessbase used to have a free online database. New In Chess still has one. However, online databases have severe limitations. Most people will want a database that they can fully access and manipulate offline.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #27 - 12/22/09 at 13:30:54
Post Tools
Wouldn't it be a good idea for chessbase (or its competitors) to offer a subscription service for an online database updated daily or at least weekly  which you would access thru the net, and not need to download, except for games in the search results?

There would be no need for producing plastic cases with cds/dvds, transport of those and users would not need to continually spend time on updating their own copy of the database. Thus saving time, effort, the environment and it would be quite difficult to steal or torrent...

And maybe this idea of adding service as a part of the deal could also be used in other areas? For example, online chessbooks that are constantly updated! Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #26 - 12/22/09 at 13:13:27
Post Tools
This just reminded me of something that happened to me a couple of years ago after the Metz tournament finished. A Ukrainian GM started talking to me and told me how much he liked my Najdorf book, but then added that 'of course he hadn't bought it, he'd downloaded it for free'!! It was as though buying it was somehow stupid! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #25 - 12/22/09 at 13:10:12
Post Tools
TN wrote on 12/21/09 at 05:49:53:

Better still, even people without friends can now get Mega Database. The day Mega Database 2010 was released, it was available for free at BigTorrent.

Why spend so much on a product that is widely available for free? I suspect more and more people will stop buying Mega 2010 and switch to free downloads, which wouldn't be great news for ChessBase.

I don't really understand this attitude, ChessBase have to employ someone and pay him money to produce MegaBase. Surely they should be entitled to charge the price they feel is necessary to cover their costs and allow them a small profit? If you want the article then pay for it, if not there is absolutely no way one can justify stealing it.
I wonder if they have been forced to up the price because so many people thieve it? So the honest people have to pay more because of the dishonest ones? Sad

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #24 - 12/22/09 at 12:13:03
Post Tools
Net Warrior wrote on 12/21/09 at 21:25:33:
I'm pretty cluesless about databases.  I recently bought Fritz 10 and I wonder if it has a feed reader.  Does anyone know if it has a feed reader and how I would recognize it, or where I could get one?   Sad Embarrassed

Can't you read feeds with any browser these days? In Internet Explorer there is an orange icon that 'lights up' whenever there is a feed to read.

IP Logged

Net Warrior
YaBB Newbies

1.e4 best by test...Bobby
Fischer

Reply #23 - 12/21/09 at 21:25:33
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 12/21/09 at 09:43:21:
Meanwhile there is tons of free high quality material in the web. Go to the main chess web pages and blogs with a feed reader and you'll have after a month more good material than an amateur can study in the same time.

I play therefore I am (USCF "A")

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #22 - 12/21/09 at 09:43:21
Post Tools
Why download illegal stuff if there's enough legal material for training in the web? When going through the links of Lars Balzer you can get a cleaned up (duplicate free) database with more than 8 mio games.

Meanwhile there is tons of free high quality material in the web. Go to the main chess web pages and blogs with a feed reader and you'll have after a month more good material than an amateur can study in the same time.

And if megabase costs too much, buy some of the chesspublishing.com data you need.  Wink You really get a lot of well commented games for study.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #21 - 12/21/09 at 05:49:53
Post Tools
radarKW wrote on 12/20/09 at 23:36:45:
TN wrote on 12/16/09 at 11:46:22:
If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

The best option is to have a friend who has purchased the latest Mega Database, and download it from him. ChessBase don't seem to overly care about this. Then you receive the high-quality product without the exorbatent costs.

THIEF

Better still, even people without friends can now get Mega Database. The day Mega Database 2010 was released, it was available for free at BigTorrent.

Why spend so much on a product that is widely available for free? I suspect more and more people will stop buying Mega 2010 and switch to free downloads, which wouldn't be great news for ChessBase.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo