Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mega Database Price Outrage (Read 31011 times)
Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Re: Mega Database Price Outrage
Reply #5 - 12/15/09 at 16:11:08
Post Tools
Okay, I checked out the website. But I don't see the value of paying for a subscription when you can simply download updates every week for FREE from TWIC. If you can't be bothered to do it every week, do it every month - the weekly update files are still there. Simply buy Bigbase once for 50.00 Euro and keep it updated for free.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #4 - 12/15/09 at 15:45:35
Post Tools
It's a subscription based website that updates the largest database around, apparently. They update it quite often, at least monthly with new games, and also maintain separate databases for download as well, such as an only FIDE Top 100 database, and a correspondence database.

www.openingmaster.com

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #3 - 12/15/09 at 15:39:46
Post Tools
Personally, I only bought Big Base which is the far cheaper unannotated version. I decided that I get enough annotated games in my book game collections and my subsription to Chesspublishing.com, that I don't need to pay all the extra money for Megabase. I download games from TWIC every Monday or Tuesday to keep it up to date - I have been doing that now for two years.

But I suppose if you want the annotated games in Megabase, you have no choice but to fork out doles of money for the update every year.

TonyRo,

What is Opening Master?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 12/15/09 at 15:06:23
Post Tools
If you're going spend that much, why not buy a subscription to Opening Master?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 12/15/09 at 14:49:19
Post Tools
This really brings up the question of whether it would be possible to write a script in Python or whatever that would do all the necessary updates in pgn from public sources, e.g. TWIC.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TimS

Mega Database Price Outrage
12/15/09 at 14:11:10
Post Tools
Popped into the Chess & Bridge Centre this morning to make my annual upgrade of the Mega Database only to find the price has gone up from £39.95 last year to £69.95 ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo