Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mega Database Price Outrage (Read 31111 times)
Jupp53
God Member

be

Re: Mega Database Price Outrage
Reply #50 - 02/15/10 at 15:00:09
Post Tools
Quote:
All of you that has studied microeconomics and utilility, to you this is clear but for all the rest one have to explain why someone chooses to buy instead of getting for free.

As I studied this I have to admit it is still far from clear. To say it directly: Empirical it's wrong. And it's easy to explain from Darwin's point of view: Survival of the fittest is not survival of the strongest. It is survival of those best fitting to an enviroment or being able to adapt to it (very often by social organisation). Or as we're talking about a war game here (=chess): Read Sun Tzi or Mao Tse Tung. You will understand why microeconomics doesn't predict economical behavior and macroeconomical development.

I stopped buying cd's and music when copy protection came on stealing my right to deal fun with my friends. Now I buy only music without copy protection. And I bought till today every chess book I work with (inclusive the chesspublishing files) and some more. Chesspublishing sells their files for personal use. The day they declare that it's forbidden to give to a personal known chess friend the copy of a page covering a special line or a copy of a single digit number of games, the day I will stop using it. With regret, because it's good stuff, but I'll stop. Same holds for private copies with every mental usable material.

CB has just shown first reactions. Via amazon you can buy a Fritz 12 version with 3 month premium mebership on their server for ~27 € instead of the official 49 € and the new chessbase mega pack is legally on the market for 202 €. If they continue to do good work for the community of chess players this community will continue to buy their products to reasonable prices. No need to complain for anyone.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

toppace
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 02/14/10 at 22:17:49
Post Tools

i agree the dvd feels to dry when you compare to the book as many lines is not their on the dvd. But still I rather look at Victors video than The humble WORLD CHAMPION Rustam K, who really shows no interest at all in chess. Rustam talks about the gambitline of you know which against the samisch, but i still hate to turn the dvd on becuase the is not one gram of love in RK material, but being World champion is of course cool.

This is something I wrote in another thread, and ok I will never BUY world champion super granmaster Rustam K DVD on KI. Never! Ok so im a bad? Well if I had bought it from chessbase and found out that it is sole crap on their i would be very dissapointed the my deliveryfirm Chessbase! Ok so now I am pissed on chessbase and it is time to renewal my annual cbm....................call me thief, anyone of you could get my phone number and we can discuss this forever. I think one can earn money on chess, but the profit is decided by customers not the firms. All of you that has studied microeconomics and utilility, to you this is clear but for all the rest one have to explain why someone chooses to buy instead of getting for free.

enuf said!

/Robban

IP Logged

toppace
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #48 - 02/14/10 at 21:44:45
Post Tools
Sorry for being really honest here, but one have to see the whole picture. I work with business develpment and bnig ones sees it as to low quality of a product if it is NOT on rapidshare, bittorrent and so on. So being there assures some value. Another argument is that many people have the opinon of bying what is really good, like music of leonard cohen i have downloaded at all but after i bought them all. Actually Leonard likes when many people listen to his music, and if there is someone who likes to hear his music and cant pay the 20$ for the cd, let him have it for free! Ok he is buddist munk but it still says alot about his passion and geniune love for music. Many chessauthors here are concerned about peolle bying their books. Well first i dont play dragon and if i would i would look at what has been played, and then find a bokk thats suits my moves. Then i need a recomendation from someone should i buy the terrific kosten book or go for Kasparovs book(fictive)? Well it certanly would help if EVERY chess forum where writing on both books to give opnions about moves and the different lines.  I would only buy a book from someone who shows big love and a geniune passion for the sport of chess, not someone who produces 15 dvds/ a year on all the big openings.

Take for instance Victor Bologans book. Of course a lot of people have downloaded it for free. BUT i think victor knows that if he comes home to a random KI player over 1800, he has ALSO bought the book. Because the best would like to have in real. I mean it is cool to see pamela andersson having sex on dvd but i would prefer to have the product in physicalform and not as jpeg.

Well dear athors of material, do you have the love for the game to make people pay what they can get for free? ell do you make new freinds on facebook or do you turn them down?

Remember people still buys MGP1-5 and they do a good profit on it. But i bought all the books, and then i wanted them as cbh-file. Should i pay for the annotaions(all games are free) twice?

metta

/Robban

ps. chesspublishing is not avalible on any torrents(if I were you i would be really concearned here about the brand), but chessbase cbm are. Which is the better the product? -Who knows there is only cbm

feel free to erase this post or parts of it.  .ds

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #47 - 01/25/10 at 13:50:57
Post Tools
It is not only the price of Mega databse that is outrageous. Have you seen the ChessBase's price policy when it comes to new DVDs - 32,90 € and above.
Ridiculous!

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Girkassa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 01/11/10 at 11:05:00
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 12/25/09 at 18:39:56:
Quote:
Not necessarily. There is a controversial  argument that piracy had a positive effect on legal sales in the music industry for instance. 

I agree. Not only on music industry but on literature too. A famous author in Brasil (Paulo Coelho) had an idea of combating pirates by putting all is books for free on his site and when argued about this if he will loose money, he said that in that way more people will know, discuss and read his works and he will sell more!

I read an article, written a few months ago, that summed up the results of different studies of the effects of piracy in the music industry. The conclusion was that there were positive effects for relatively unknown artists, while for famous artists, the effects were negative. I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for chess authors. Dvoretsky would hardly gain much from the extra publicity, as many chess players have already read some of his books, but "mr. unknown IM from a distant land" could probably increase his sales a lot by showing people, for free, that he is actually an excellent author.

The article also discussed the movie industry, where piracy is a newer phenomenon due to the large file sizes, and less studies have been done, but the conclusion drawn from the existing material seemed to be exclusively negative. The reason is probably that music is something you can listen to over and over again, while a movie is rarely the same when you watch it for the second time. Thus, you are more likely to buy a music CD after you have listened to a pirated version, than to buy a movie DVD after watching a pirated version. I suspect chess books fall somewhere in between music and movies in this respect.

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #45 - 01/07/10 at 12:57:01
Post Tools
LondonChessCentre wrote on 01/02/10 at 19:33:51:
It should have been £44.95 (50 Euros approx) or £89.95 (100 Euros approx) Apologies if a staff member overcharged you

Please pop in and get a refund sometime

Malcolm Pein

Popped in yesterday and bought it (along with CT.Art 4.0) after hearing of your posting (didn't have access while in Hastings).

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #44 - 01/04/10 at 03:56:05
Post Tools
Iphones can now be taken to the toilet even more easily than a book.

Not that I would know from personal experience, or anything.

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 01/03/10 at 23:28:16
Post Tools
Chess books can be read on the toilet.  Chessbase can't.  Of course one can bring one's laptop into the bathroom with him but that is not to be recommended.

IP Logged

LondonChessCentre
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 01/02/10 at 19:33:51
Post Tools
It should have been £44.95 (50 Euros approx) or £89.95 (100 Euros approx) Apologies if a staff member overcharged you

Please pop in and get a refund sometime

Malcolm Pein

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #41 - 12/25/09 at 18:39:56
Post Tools
Quote:
Not necessarily. There is a controversial  argument that piracy had a positive effect on legal sales in the music industry for instance. 

I agree. Not only on music industry but on literature too. A famous author in Brasil (Paulo Coelho) had an idea of combating pirates by putting all is books for free on his site and when argued about this if he will loose money, he said that in that way more people will know, discuss and read his works and he will sell more!

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #40 - 12/25/09 at 13:41:57
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/22/09 at 13:10:12:
TN wrote on 12/21/09 at 05:49:53:

Better still, even people without friends can now get Mega Database. The day Mega Database 2010 was released, it was available for free at BigTorrent.

Why spend so much on a product that is widely available for free? I suspect more and more people will stop buying Mega 2010 and switch to free downloads, which wouldn't be great news for ChessBase.

I don't really understand this attitude, ChessBase have to employ someone and pay him money to produce MegaBase. Surely they should be entitled to charge the price they feel is necessary to cover their costs and allow them a small profit? If you want the article then pay for it, if not there is absolutely no way one can justify stealing it.
I wonder if they have been forced to up the price because so many people thieve it? So the honest people have to pay more because of the dishonest ones? Sad

As far as I can tell, ChessBase haven't upped the price - it's down to Chess & Bridge.

IP Logged

click to go
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Thanks
Reply #39 - 12/24/09 at 19:58:13
Post Tools
Thats what i searched for long time
regards

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #38 - 12/23/09 at 13:19:54
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 12/22/09 at 15:08:55:
Antillian wrote on 12/22/09 at 14:52:11:
Fear of piracy is the reason that most chess book publishers will not follow Everyman Chess' model of releasing ebooks. The whole book publishing model is archaic and needlessly redundant when you think about it. Writers spend hours putting games into Chessbase. Publishers then spend hours converting the  chessbase files into hard paper. Buyers then spend hours entering the games on the hard paper back into chessbase as they study them and analyse them. Isn't this madness?

I think everybody does this to some extent (If not, what would be the point of a program like Bookup/COW?!) but still the copyright warning in many books mentions "storing [any part of this publication] in a retrieval system" as illegal without prior permission! Even productive author John Watson admitted in one of his book reviews to spending countless hours manually inputing book lines into Chessbase.

So this particular aspect of copyright law is pretty much a joke.

Personally I would be very happy to pay extra for pgn files of book content.  I suppose the reason these aren't created is the risk of piracy.  But god, the waste of time involved in the current system is enormous.

BTW I don't think that entering chess data from a book into a data base falls under "fair use," however much they would like to keep you from doing so.  What you can't do is do that and then sell it, and I suspect that if you tried to give it away on any sort of scale they could get you for that as well.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #37 - 12/23/09 at 11:00:45
Post Tools
Unfortunately it requests that I install an application and I don't have administrator rights at work - anyway, back to solving tactics  Wink

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #36 - 12/23/09 at 08:58:42
Post Tools
chk wrote on 12/23/09 at 08:48:15:
Antillian wrote on 12/22/09 at 14:26:42:
Well Chessbase used to have a free online database.

That probably explains why I visited the site today, only to find that "service is unavailable"..

Anyone knows if this is only temporary? I use a lot this database when I'm at work (it's one of the few useful chess sources I am allowed to access)  Sad

If you access it thru the cb-databaseprogram it works (edit/Find position in/Find in www.chessbase-online.com)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo