Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Merits of 1.f4. (Read 39036 times)
BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Merits of 1.f4.
Reply #27 - 12/29/09 at 20:25:36
Post Tools
Of course, I also read that you play the Dutch from time to time, so you have a good understanding of both sides then.  Do you play to prepare the early d5-d4 push then?  I remember when I first got Taylor's book and he began to advocate 8. Nc3 - back then, I didn't care much for it, but now I think it is a pretty good choice for White, even seeing Black's d-pawn advance...didn't know if you played for that, or if you preferred preparing an early b5, etc...

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #26 - 12/29/09 at 19:52:11
Post Tools
BirdBrain wrote on 12/29/09 at 19:22:08:
Marko, what development system do you prefer to lean towards against 1. f4?  Do you play an early ...g6, or opt for more of something like ...c5, ...Nf6 and ...a6?

For whatever it's worth, I play pretty much like White standardly plays against the Dutch, with ...g6, ...c5, ...Nf6 and so forth.  I don't bother to book up here; I just play chess.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 12/29/09 at 19:22:08
Post Tools
Marko, what development system do you prefer to lean towards against 1. f4?  Do you play an early ...g6, or opt for more of something like ...c5, ...Nf6 and ...a6?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #24 - 12/29/09 at 18:42:36
Post Tools
When I face 1.f4 I always play 1...d5, since I think that's the best way to highlight the weakness of White's e-pawn.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 12/29/09 at 14:14:05
Post Tools
Another thing about 1. f4 is the ability to transpose.  I am a huge believer in transpositions.  I don't think it is smart to auto-pilot all moves.  Now, I know this goes a bit against what I said in an earlier post about autopiloting f4-Nf3-e3-Be2 and 0-0.  Of course, if a White player wants a quick way to begin development and have a solid position, this is a good choice.  But I think there are more options.  I was reading yesterday a comment from a 1. f4 player concerning a game, and he spoke that the Bird player did not play it like Bird's Opening.  To me, that is ridiculous.  I think just because someone meets 1. e4 c5 with 2. Nc3 doesn't mean that they aren't still in Sicilian waters - they are simply going into (possible) different waters than someone who aims for 2. Nf3. 
I think the same is for White in 1. f4.  Some systems allow White to play for an early e4, while others, White holds the pawn back, either at e2 or at e3, until an opportune time comes.  And it is important to understand that. 
I read the comment about David Flude giving up after seeing 1. f4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6...why?  Was it because the positions were too sterile for his liking?  White still has plenty of chances.  He can either play 3. e4 and go into Sicilian waters, which is not at all unfavorable, or he can play 3. d3, 3. e3, 3. g3, 3. b3...there are quite a few solid options...and each has a different pathway.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #22 - 12/29/09 at 13:49:33
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/29/09 at 03:32:17:
Of course 1.f4 avoids a lot of theory. With the combination of the King's Gambit (there are several other options), the Closed Sicilian/Big Clamp and the Leningrad Bird (also called Polar Bear) White has nearly a complete repertoire. Black has a few other options, like playing KID-style and the Symmetrical Bird, but it is obvious that 1.f4 demands much less theoretical knowledge than 1.e4 and 1.d4.

BirdBrain wrote on 12/28/09 at 20:42:30:
Personally, I think the London system is a nice development against 1. f4 (I think it is called the New York system?) - but not sufficient to stop White from gaining an advantage.

Personally I am very happy to meet the London setup against my Dutch. White scores badly against the Leningrad, the Iljin-Zjenevsky and against the Queen's Fianchetto. So with reversed colours I am inclined to claim some advantage for White if Black plays ...Bf5 against 1.f4. The promising strategies are e2-e4/e2-e3-e4 and occupying e5 with a knight followed by a pawn storm. In all cases Black's Queen's Bishop is a nice target. If I were sure to meet ...Bf5 I would play 1.f4 all the time.
Still the thought is OK. One excellent strategy against the Bird is to play something that does not promise any advantage after 1.d4 f5, but is very solid. An example is 1.f4 d5 2.Nf3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 Nf6 5.0-0 0-0 6.d3 Nc6. Another excellent strategy is offering a transposition to the Closed Sicilian. 1.f4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 made David Flude giving up the Bird in corr. chess.

He may take it up again if he reads Kindermann's Leningrad text for the anti-English line given therein is both forthright and reliable.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #21 - 12/29/09 at 03:32:17
Post Tools
Of course 1.f4 avoids a lot of theory. With the combination of the King's Gambit (there are several other options), the Closed Sicilian/Big Clamp and the Leningrad Bird (also called Polar Bear) White has nearly a complete repertoire. Black has a few other options, like playing KID-style and the Symmetrical Bird, but it is obvious that 1.f4 demands much less theoretical knowledge than 1.e4 and 1.d4.

BirdBrain wrote on 12/28/09 at 20:42:30:
Personally, I think the London system is a nice development against 1. f4 (I think it is called the New York system?) - but not sufficient to stop White from gaining an advantage.

Personally I am very happy to meet the London setup against my Dutch. White scores badly against the Leningrad, the Iljin-Zjenevsky and against the Queen's Fianchetto. So with reversed colours I am inclined to claim some advantage for White if Black plays ...Bf5 against 1.f4. The promising strategies are e2-e4/e2-e3-e4 and occupying e5 with a knight followed by a pawn storm. In all cases Black's Queen's Bishop is a nice target. If I were sure to meet ...Bf5 I would play 1.f4 all the time.
Still the thought is OK. One excellent strategy against the Bird is to play something that does not promise any advantage after 1.d4 f5, but is very solid. An example is 1.f4 d5 2.Nf3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 Nf6 5.0-0 0-0 6.d3 Nc6. Another excellent strategy is offering a transposition to the Closed Sicilian. 1.f4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 made David Flude giving up the Bird in corr. chess.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Paul123

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #20 - 12/28/09 at 22:05:31
Post Tools
moahunter wrote on 12/28/09 at 20:20:22:
I used to play the London system with white, I long since droped it (bordem, and no real advantage once people know how to reply). I use the system now though in reverse against f4 - it seems to equalize almost instantly. I don't try to refute what blacks doing, I just stake a solid claim in the centre (which black has given me), develop safely, and wait.

I think that's the problem with moves like f4, or systems like the London, they do avoid theory, but if black is confident, plays normal moves, and doesn't try to refute the system, black gets a psychological advantage. I feel like I am playing a slow positional game with white when I play black against f4. That's good enough for me, and has been good enough for quite a few victories.

It kind of looks like you are  implying that by playing 1.f4 one is avoiding theory.  I think that is a  huge stretch. 

What you have described is playing symmetrical and can be done in any 1e4 or 1.d4  or 1.c4 opening...... Examples....  The Petroff , Queens Gambits  "The Symmetrical English. etc etc.... 

IMO...Hardly avoiding theory....

But you have hit on something...IMO some of the most interesting lines in the Bird  are the symmetrical lines.    There is very little solid theory existing on the symmetrical Bird, most of it is bad. 

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 12/28/09 at 20:42:30
Post Tools
moahunter wrote on 12/28/09 at 20:20:22:
I used to play the London system with white, I long since droped it (bordem, and no real advantage once people know how to reply). I use the system now though in reverse against f4 - it seems to equalize almost instantly. I don't try to refute what blacks doing, I just stake a solid claim in the centre (which black has given me), develop safely, and wait.

I think that's the problem with moves like f4, or systems like the London, they do avoid theory, but if black is confident, plays normal moves, and doesn't try to refute the system, black gets a psychological advantage. I feel like I am playing a slow positional game with white when I play black against f4. That's good enough for me, and has been good enough for quite a few victories.

White ought to continue in queenside fianchetto fashion, and prepare a kingside pawnstorm and shove his h-pawn down Black's throat.  Pretty primitive, it may sound, but there truly is a positional nature to these pawnstorms - too many times I have seen my pawnstorms not always end up in checkmates, but in a bind that Black must respond to - this, in the meantime, gives me time to prepare forces on other sides of the board, if necessary.

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 12/28/09 at 20:38:49
Post Tools
Well, one big advantage (debatable, yes!) of systems like 1. f4 is that since the pawns are still held back a bit, White has more flexibility in his structure.  I know, I know...not to everyone's liking, and there will be plenty of arguments that it is better to play another move, such as d4 or e4, and the various arguments that they hold.  But 1. f4 has a different philosophy, and that being said, it does have some nice plusses.  I right now consider the basic queenside fianchetto setup with f4-e3-b3.  White has a nice option in d3 and h3-g4 often (many Black players try to discourage White's opening strategy with misplaced knight sorties (early Nf6-g4 or e4), and the knight often gets misplaced on h6.  Often, this is exactly WHAT I need to give me even more tempos on my pawn roller.  Of course, if they don't oblige - then White begins to prepare e4 (a theme in many 1. d4 openings) and with both e4 and f4, he has potential for a nice kingside pawnspike in Black's side - talk about a thorn in the foot!  Now one cool thing is that not always do those pawnrollers mean business on the kingside - there have actually been times where the kingside was stymied temporarily, and battle actually shifted to the queenside.  Rarely, for me, has the battle been in the center of the board - the pawn structures push it otherwise.
And I remember reading a very interesting point of Larsen's strategy in many 1. f4 encounters (granted - he is much better than I, but I understand that I can begin to learn from his idea) - he would begin to trade off c-pawn for d-pawn, b-pawn for c-pawn, a-pawn for b-pawn, and by the end, he had a 5-4 kingside pawn majority (apparently a winning endgame for White) while Black suffered from a weak isolated a-pawn.
Another advantage of 1. f4 is that White has flexible ways to "open the board" - of course, opening the f-file gives the king rook an avenue towards the king.  But instead of the "typical" e4 pawnpush, White can also prepare g2-g4, which can be positional as well as aggressive, depending on the flow of the game.
Another advantage is the lack of theory to have to absorb - White can almost play the same initial moves against many Black tries - not in all cases, but often the initial moves are safe enough to play "autopilot" - and if White wishes, he can choose to deviate.
Another advantage is that 1. f4 is often played in Dutch format - which means that not only is White studying a reliable offense, but he is also getting a feel of one of Black's most aggressive choices against 1. d4.
There are variable arguments against playing 1. f4, and I have tried for years to justify it.  Sure, maybe according to GM's, 1. d4 and 1. e4 maximize White's chances of opening advantage - but they also increase his workload dramatically.  I believe in practicality and creativity, and 1. f4 offers a full spectrum of both.  I am fully in favor of it as a playable opening.  I will not try to claim it is as good as 1. d4 - personally, I don't care.  I like 1. d4, but I like 1. f4 better.

IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 12/28/09 at 20:20:22
Post Tools

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #16 - 12/28/09 at 19:57:18
Post Tools
I don't question the soundness of 1.f4, just its wisdom.  Unless you're Larsen, of course.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Paul123

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #15 - 12/27/09 at 15:19:54
Post Tools
Quote:
  Markovich.

Personally I think that 1.f4 is a bad move.  I understand that White won't lose thereby, but there's no way my hand would reach for that pawn.  Oddly enough I would consider the Dutch for practical reasons.  But the idea of spending White's precious tempo on 1.f4 profoundly revolts me.

Yours is the general consensus. 

Yet... I've had some good results with it against some fare competition. Yet I agree its unorthodox. However, I don't think its unsound as some believe. I think 1.f4 is fine as long as you know what your doing with it. White can fight for an advantage in most lines if not all.  One has to attack with 1.f4 (IMO its not at all  positional)   I mean what's pushing the pawn to f4 supposed to do anyway?  A) attack e5 and B) push forward to f5 attacking Black's king side (which often he's castle there!)

Many 1.e4 openings have a fair amount of strategy revolving around  pushing a pawn to f4, The Sicilian, The Bishop's Opening, The King's Gambit  and The  Vienna come to mind. 

B Larsen is a great argument for the soundness of 1.f4  He played it often when he was on top next to Fisher.   

To each there own I guess 

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #14 - 12/23/09 at 21:51:50
Post Tools
I did play it for awhile when I felt as though my rating wasn't reflective of my chess ability (how many times do we make that claim? Roll Eyes ).  I played a variety of less orthodox openings like the Bird, the English Defense, etc., in order to get my opponents out of book so that we could just play chess.  I stopped playing for quite awhile shortly thereafter, so I can't comment on the success of my plan, theory, or claim, but I did win a number of games against stronger opposition in the chaos moves like 1.f4 provoked on the board.  I have little time to really study openings anymore.  (Careful analysis of particular lines: yes.  Bolstering an entire repertoire: not so much).  In these kinds of conditions, I would definitely consider giving 1.f4 another try if I returned to the board.  It's a fine way to discourage a booked-up opponent.  Going back to an earlier comment in the thread, I suspect this was Larsen's motivation for playing the Bird.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #13 - 12/23/09 at 15:22:20
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Flank Openings [move by] Markovich.

Personally I think that 1.f4 is a bad move.  I understand that White won't lose thereby, but there's no way my hand would reach for that pawn.  Oddly enough I would consider the Dutch for practical reasons.  But the idea of spending White's precious tempo on 1.f4 profoundly revolts me.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo