Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help in the closed sicilian (Read 49013 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Help in the closed sicilian
Reply #31 - 02/27/10 at 15:36:43
Post Tools
I think that Palliser's KIA comparison sounds like a typical somewhat optimistic comment one might find in such a book.  I wouldn't exactly speak of "a gap in existing literature," though, as I've seen the sort of lines you're discussing in various books over the years.  For instance, ECO, NCO and the Russian Modern Chess Opening Encyclopedia all have the KIA-compared line and the IQP-line [7. d4 in (a)] as unclear or equal.

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #30 - 02/27/10 at 14:34:19
Post Tools
Reading through this thread, I noticed that most of the recommended lines are in agreement with Palliser's recommendations in Fighting the Anti-Sicilians. I would like to propose what I believe is an underrated line that perhaps is overlooked by many people:

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 e6 4.Bg2 Nf6

A few things to note:

1) This line is not restricted to only e6 Sicilian players as the 2...e6 move order is not required and Black can play for a quick ...d5 in all major variations.

2) As Black is aiming for French structures, I think this makes a good companion to Palliser's main recommendation against the Grand Prix (1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 e6).

3) Although there are similarities with 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.g3 d5, the primary lines appear to lead to independent play often neglected by coverage in books on the Closed Sicilian. Although the 2...e6 lines are recommended by several books and have a reputation for being drawish in a few lines, this move order seems to cut out many of the theoretical recommendations leading to early simplification. In my opinion, these factors give Black better winning chances while still offering play with a solid classical foundation of central development.

Confirming my intuition that Black's play is logical and offers good play, I found games by several strong players who were successful with this approach. I noticed that Sveshnikov and Fier are regular practitioners of this line, usually playing directly for ...d5. I also noticed several grandmasters like Stocek would often delay d5, sometimes allowing the option of transposition into Open Sicilian lines with g3 in the Taimanov, Kan, or Scheveningen. This is certainly an option for people familiar with these Sicilians, although I believe this approach gives White more options. (From an optimistic perspective, one could perhaps say it gives White more opportunity to go wrong as many Closed Sicilian players are not familiar with the Open Sicilian.) People comfortable with e6 Sicilians could also consider 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 e6 4.Bg2 a6!? which has also been played by several strong players and seems to have even less coverage in existing literature.

There are two primary approaches by White I considered in database research:

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 e6 4.Bg2 Nf6

a) 5.Nge2 d5 6.exd5 exd5 (6...Nxd5!? is another independent option to consider):

7.d3 at first seems likely to transpose to lines traditionally reached via the 2...e6 move order. Although Black is solid in these lines, the enterprising 7...Bg4!? may cause White problems specific to this move order (e.g. after 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.g3 d5 4.exd5 exd5 5.Bg2 Nf6 6.d3 Nc6, I think White would prefer 7.Bg5 rather than 7.Nge2 transposing to the above line). If that is indeed the case, this subvariation would further support the argument for using this line to create greater winning chances as its sister variation in 2...e6 line has a reputation for being drawish.

7.d4 leads to IQP positions that seem to fall outside typical coverage of the traditional 2...e6 lines. I found several examples of 7...cxd4 8.Nxd4 Bg4 9.Qd3 and I think Black has a promising game while retaining good winning chances. Also 7...Bg4!? seems to be interesting and has been played by some strong players as well. My impression is the d5 pawn is very dangerous to take after an immediate dxc5. If that is the case, 7...Bg4 could well be more accurate than 7...cxd4. Currently, I see no problems for Black in this line and I have seen many instances of White going wrong early in the opening.

b) 5.f4 d5 6.e5

This is considered by Palliser in Starting Out: Closed Sicilian to be the critical approach. If the move order chosen by Black is perceived by White to be inferior to 2...e6 3.g3 d5, then this approach may be the most probable attempt to seek an advantage from the opening. I believe this opportunity for contention creates greater winning chances as well by provoking White into sharper play. When White plays 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.g3, he usually knowlingly enters unambitious positions; however, not all players of 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 would willingly accept these positions, perhaps preferring 3.Nf3 against 2...e6. As this is a rarer variation, it has a greater likelihood of being perceived as substandard, which creates a psychological advantage in practical play.

Palliser describes the position:

"White should close the centre with 6.e5 Nd7 7.Nf3 Be7 8.d3 when e5 is much more secure than in a standard King's Indian Attack position. A race situation might well develop, but White appears to be slightly faster while he tends to have the opposition monarch to aim directly at."

He then gives a game reference to V.Golod - Junior, Givatayim 1998. I think his comparison to the KIA is a bit superficial and I believe there are drawbacks to f4 as well. f4 also creates weaknesses and could also be said to interfere with development when compared to the KIA French. Also central play with ...f6 should not be underestimated. I have noticed that Sveshnikov has used this lever several times in his games. When this break is effective at opening the center, f4 can sometimes be exposed as a weakening move.

When I looked at this line independently, the rerouting maneuver initiated by 6...Ng8!? also looked appealing to me. The knight is often effectively placed on f5 in positions like this and Black appears to have time to execute this maneuver. I was pleasantly surprised to see this move used by Bent Larsen when I did a database search on the position.

I believe this line also offers good winning chances for Black, and its use by several grandmasters as Black further confirms my intuition. It also helps that there may be misconceptions on the value of this variation in existing literature. I think it helps to have some familiarity with the French to properly understand these positions, and quite possibly a lack of experience in the French may be a major factor contributing to this variation's lack of popularity among Sicilian players. However, I believe the French-type positions arising from this variation are favorable for Black, and I would guess that most French players would be comfortable in these lines.

These are my first impressions after examining this variation. It looks very promising to me and I intend to do more independent research. Sometimes a gap in existing literature signals a great opportunity! Smiley

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 02/20/10 at 17:29:14
Post Tools
It seems that in many gambits a nice name is already part of the compensation!

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #28 - 02/19/10 at 22:52:52
Post Tools
I have never played 1.a3 either. The system 1.e4 c5 2.Bc4 isn't too bad. - Instead of following 12-18 moves of fashionable theory it can be equally nice to work out our inner Anderssen or Morphy. Not many of their lines have been completely refuted.

Edit: Only 3 minutes after I wrote the above, KoKKo started a thread on 1.a3 and 1.h3. I knew that I am influential...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #27 - 02/19/10 at 21:01:18
Post Tools
Indeed I would be very happy with Anderssen's talent and skills. That does not mean though that I trust his openings. I don't even play the openings of my great hero.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #26 - 02/19/10 at 20:40:01
Post Tools
Misplaced? It's the Anderssen Variation, also liked by G. R. Neumann, in the 19th century. 90% of the members in this forum should be glad if they could play like Anderssen...

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 02/19/10 at 16:53:24
Post Tools
Even if the sacrifice were interesting or even correct, it is of no practical significance, 3. ... e6 is the most natural move after which the Bc4 is terribly misplaced.

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/19/10 at 15:27:07
Post Tools
a wonderful sacrifice! after serious bar analysis we couldn't keep count of how many pieces White had to give in order to extract his Queen. If your variation spreads, I'll make sure to play 2...a6 on occasion.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 02/19/10 at 15:17:17
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 02/19/10 at 13:51:59:
There were only a few sentences:
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kaiss43.pdf
But in these archives you'll find more on another idea ... are there really 2...a6 players who are not deterred by the Al Hadhrani Attack 3.Bc4 b5 4.Bxf7+?

@Schaakhamster: Thx.

Curiously 3. ... e6 is the main move and 3. ... b5 is rarely played. 3. ... e6 would be my first thought. Seeing the article my second though is 3. ... e6 again. Just too many crazy tactics.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #22 - 02/19/10 at 13:51:59
Post Tools
There were only a few sentences:
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kaiss43.pdf
But in these archives you'll find more on another idea ... are there really 2...a6 players who are not deterred by the Al Hadhrani Attack 3.Bc4 b5 4.Bxf7+?

@Schaakhamster: Thx.

IP Logged

MatrixX

carpe diem!

Reply #21 - 02/19/10 at 13:07:34
Post Tools
@ Stefan Buecker:

could you please post the link to your article about 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 a6 3.a4 in chesscafe?

i would like to have a view on it, as i also like 2...a6 for black Wink

FIDE ELO: 2274, 19 years old
student of mathematics and economics, working as chess-trainer, especially in openings!
http://www.chess.com/coach/christoph-tiemann
IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 02/18/10 at 15:50:15
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 02/18/10 at 15:42:55:
I see - apparently I'd have to fill even more pages than Palliser has written on 2...a6, to convince you that the Sicilian Defence is a mistake.

that will take a whole lot more  Grin

In the end it doesn't really matter. Either way it is still a game of chess and in most of your articles on you are trying to make a case for lines where black has to overcome a lot more challenges then in this line (and you succeed in that surprisingly well)  Smiley

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #19 - 02/18/10 at 15:42:55
Post Tools
I see - apparently I'd have to fill even more pages than Palliser has written on 2...a6, to convince you that the Sicilian Defence is a mistake.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 02/18/10 at 15:29:32
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 02/18/10 at 14:55:50:
Of course 2...a6 avoids some lines (just as 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 a6 avoids the Ruy Lopez), but you give White a pleasant choice: (a) to play 3.a4, and then in 99% of the cases follow his usual Anti-Sicilian scheme, or (b) accept the invitation to 2...a6 & b5, which isn't too bad either. Closed Sicilian Players know their set-ups, und including a6/a4 is rarely a big issue. 

I don't think anyone argues differently. 2. ... a6 won't refute the closed sicilian.

Still I think 3. a4 isn't the magic move certainly if you don't mind 2. ... a6 and b5. I do prefer the 2. ... e6 and 3. ... a6 move order but if everyone played 2. ... a6 3. a4 that might change  Grin.

In the end I challenge the usefullness of the move 3. a4. You might argue that 2. ... a6 doesn't improve black position but neither does 3. a4. The only reason d'etre is to stop 3. ... b5 but black has perfectly logical alternatives avaible. It would be like answering 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 a6 with 3. a3 and then saying after 3. ... Nc6you now can play 4. Nc3 without worrying about 4. ... Bb4.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #17 - 02/18/10 at 15:13:51
Post Tools
Whether Closed Sicilian players know their setups well enough depens on the level. Below 2200 the main motivation for playing the Closed seems to be to avoid theory, avoid thinking for themselves in the opening, and basically play the same moves no matter what Black does! And precisely against such opponents 2...a6 3.g3 b5 is a great weapon, because their usual slow kingside attack doesn't work. Add to that the aforementioned avoidance of the dangerous forms of the Grand Prix Attack, and there are plenty of good reasons for playing 2...a6.

If only they had enough sense to play 3.a4 things would be a bit better I agree. Maybe they will after they read your Chesscafe article?! I still don't see what Black loses by having a6/a4 inserted though.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo