Latest Updates:
Normal Topic conversion to *.pgn for use in COW-Pro [Bookup] (Read 6706 times)
dom
God Member

Re: conversion to *.pgn for use in COW-Pro [Bookup]
Reply #6 - 01/15/10 at 22:41:15
Post Tools
I am long time user of Mike Leahy 's softwares (various Bookup releases and now recent ones named COW = Chess Opening Wizard).

I must say Mike support quality vary a lot...I cannot deny he always tried to do good support when and only when he can deal in time one email...but it seems far easy from him because  1. he was spam email overflowed 2. he wanted to improve his "license" protection moving in difficult ways 3. he neglects a lot about dealing on post in forum 4. he seems spending  time about software improvment in extra-chess avertising (memory training).

pleasant's post is not about selecting one PGN reader (chessbase or another tool) but because of pgn file content formatting. It's about various uncommon tags in header of games or glyph signs for assessement or maybe some specific chessbase comments,... I don't know.

In COW there exists one tool which is like in Chessbase: you can "watch games" from PGN files. After selecting PGN file you can watch games, by user usual VCR-like keyboard keys.

There is another tool which is "Import PGN file into Bookup/COW Book" but I don't think it's subject of post.

I can help, because i own COW and chessbase tools, but I need "these PGN files which are a hit-and-miss reading them in COW"...please peasant attach some here or PM (post message) me some parts

I can say now, many tools exists in old "enpassant.dk" website and maybe the good "pgn file converter" can exist....only need time to find it.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #5 - 01/13/10 at 16:17:23
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 01/11/10 at 14:07:33:
I am a bit suprised to hear you have had problems with their support. When I email Mike, I get an answer back within one or two days. They also have a forum, but I hardly go there, so I have not idea how well it works.

Yeah, I'll second that.  Mike Leahy delivers good support.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #4 - 01/11/10 at 14:07:33
Post Tools
I am a bit suprised to hear you have had problems with their support. When I email Mike, I get an answer back within one or two days. They also have a forum, but I hardly go there, so I have not idea how well it works.

Apart from that, Stigma basically covers it. COW cannot open a pgn file. it imports it into a COW/Bookup book.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #3 - 01/11/10 at 12:37:48
Post Tools
I don't think COW can open .pgn files directly, only import them into an open database (empty or with previous content).

The issue must be with the pgn specification probably; I read somewhere that Chessbase is more lenient with the specifications than the official standard. If so it should be possible to convert the files to the stricter standard somehow. Though if one has to do this manually with each pgn file (in a text editor) it will take a bit of time.

In a sense I think Mike Leahy really should ensure that whatever .pgn file works in Chessbase also works on COW. After all he often recommends using COW in combination with Chessbase in his videos and help files. And .pgn is the only format common to the two.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #2 - 01/11/10 at 10:20:48
Post Tools
I don't have 'COW' but can't you first open this program and then import the PGN files? Also, I suppose you should be able to stop Chessbase from opening PGN files by going into 'Options', 'Misc' and turn off 'Register as PGN Reader'.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 01/11/10 at 09:07:19
Post Tools
Have you tried right clicking on the pgn file and choose the program you want from the "Open with" option?

If you don't see this option when right clicking the file, try holding down Shift too.

IP Logged

pleasant
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

conversion to *.pgn for use in COW-Pro [Bookup]
01/11/10 at 03:26:09
Post Tools
i have chesspublishing, COWpro, and Chessbase10 on my computer [to name a few]. i recently got COW Pro to work [more or less] after about 3 years of relative uselessness and no support.
Now i can import some *.pgn files from the internet sites -  like chesspublishing, but most of them open in Chessbase databases [with the rainbow pawn icon] instead of the square purple icon wit the chessboard in the upper left corner.
my results are 'hit-or-miss'. mostly i can import nothing from chesspublishing [with a few exceptions].
is there a conversion to *pgn that will reliably bypass [or convert] chessbase format *pgn into 'standard / neutral ' *.pgn for import into COWpro [= bookup pro]

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo