Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Whay not a Caro Kann Forum? (Read 4409 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Whay not a Caro Kann Forum?
Reply #6 - 01/11/10 at 20:23:57
Post Tools
It's probably best as it is. After all, white 1.e4eers would subscribe for a Misc Section, but hardly for a CK-section - that would be like Luke Skywalker subscribing to The Death Planet Daily.  Wink

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/11/10 at 19:24:58
Post Tools
Yes, so maybe a separate Alekhine section.  Grin

IP Logged

Uruk

Reply #4 - 01/11/10 at 19:18:00
Post Tools
That said, this forum is cluttered with quite a number of Alekhine's topics.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #3 - 01/11/10 at 19:13:42
Post Tools
I don't think he meant forum. He meant subscriber section.

My understanding of the purpose of the Chesspublishing.com is to cover opening developments - not just to produce a bunch of annotated games every month. With respect to whether the Caro-Kann should be an independent section or not, the issue is whether all the new developments and critical games are being covered. If this is being down under the existing arrangement, then the status quo is fine.

Since I play both the Caro and the Pirc, I am happy having them in the same section since I more often subscribe to the six section option.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/10 at 18:33:57
Post Tools
I believe the Caro-Kann is already well covered both in updates and on the 1.e4... Forum. It's true that it doesn't feature in every month's updates, but the theory of the Caro-Kann doesn't change as rapidly as the more popular defences to 1.e4 (Najdorf, Ruy Lopez and Dragon to name 3 examples), so an update every month isn't entirely necessary.

Also, what would a Forum devoted solely to the Caro-Kann add? I suspect it would merely clutter the Forum with more sections than necessary.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Sjakkalle
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Why not a Caro Kann Forum?
Reply #1 - 01/11/10 at 15:52:02
Post Tools
Well, if we had a separate Caro-Kann forum, the Pirc fans would complain:

"Pirc is the fifth most popular defence against 1.e4. The Caro-Kann is the fourth and has a forum just for her. Caro-Kann, French, and 1...e5 players pay a subscription and get what they paid for. But if I want a suscription to follow the Pirc I have to put up with Alekhine, Scandinavian etc. So I think I would be waisting my money. My question... Why not a Pirc forum?"

If a Pirc forum is then created, it is the people who play the Scandinavian who want their own forum, and we get a big splintering up of forums if all those requests are honored. (Personally, I would really like a separate Alekhine forum, since I play nothing except 1...Nf6 against 1.e4...)

Still, regarding why the line is drawn at the French/Caro-Kann line, I suppose it has to do with that the French gets played almost twice as often, even though it is only one step up in the ranking of the most popular responses to 1.e4. Also, and I may probably be displaying my ignorance here, but I think that many of the French variations (Winawer Poisoned Pawn for example) can be sharp and theory heavy needing constant update, while the Caro-Kann lines are relatively more stable.

The bundling of these forums is not all that bad, Caro-Kann is after all reasonably covered, and you get 3-4 openings in the forum for the price of one. (I feel sorry for the Sicilian players who must pay for three sites for a single opening...)

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Whay not a Caro Kann Forum?
01/11/10 at 15:32:07
Post Tools
Caro Kann is the fourth most popular defence against 1.e4. The French is the third and has a forum just for her. French players and 1...e5 players pay a suscription and get what they paid for. But if a want a suscription to follow Caro Kann I have to put up with Alekhine, Scandinavian etc. So I think I would be waisting my money. My question... Why not a Caro Kann forum?

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo