Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Everyman announces new London book (Read 5931 times)
fluffy

International Master

Re: Everyman announces new London book
Reply #8 - 03/12/10 at 14:17:04
Post Tools
Cyrus is a great guy and experienced teacher so I'll be checking this one out!

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #7 - 03/12/10 at 07:16:18
Post Tools
Quote:
To: Tafl

So, why did you drop your line in the fish pond with this piece of information?

I assumed that a book on the London system might interest some readers of the 'd-pawn Specials' section.

Quote:
By the way, which games should be excluded from a book on the London System and why?

These days making a book on opening theory is a little like stone sculpturing. It's easy if you know which pieces of stones you should chisel away.

My database contains more than 15 000 games with the position after 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4. A rough estimate would be that 98% of these must be eliminated. Out of the remaining 300 games, maybe 90% would go into the notes and something like 30 games would be included in full.

First to go would be those featuring poor opening play by White (unless they are instructive exactly because of these mistakes). Then it gets harder, but games by unrated or lowly rated players will have a rough ride.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #6 - 03/11/10 at 21:35:35
Post Tools
I tend to agree with the previous posters.

You don't need a book to play the London successfully. Just play through the games of an expert in the system (Kovacevic for example) and start playing the line. I went one step further and also found some improvements over these games, although I haven't bought Kovacevic's book on the London system, not because it isn't good, but because I already have a decent idea of how to counter each line Black can try.

That said, I only play the London on occasion since it doesn't offer White any edge unless Black plays a second-rate variation.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #5 - 03/11/10 at 21:05:22
Post Tools
[quote]'Play the London System' by Cyrus Lakdawala is announced for September/October: http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Play_the_London_System/quote]

To: Tafl

So, why did you drop your line in the fish pond with this piece of information?

By the way, which games should be excluded from a book on the London System and why?

Let's be a little more direct and concise shall we?

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #4 - 01/14/10 at 13:24:12
Post Tools
Amost all books use games that can be found in a good database. It's not the games which have been included that make the book - it's the games which have been excluded.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #3 - 01/14/10 at 11:40:58
Post Tools
The books use games which you could just as well find in the database.

And as soon as you start playing it - which is practically directly, since you'll quickly find out whereto everything usually goes, and then you'll learn more effectively from trial & error than from any book.

And if you feel you really need a book there are plenty of older ones with practically the same info, as little changes in the practice of these openings.

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #2 - 01/14/10 at 11:20:10
Post Tools
Not having to memorize theory and not having to buy a book are two slightly different things.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 01/14/10 at 10:44:39
Post Tools
It's a bit funny that we get so many books about these d4-systems, which all have the main selling point that you don't really need a book to learn them!

IP Logged

tafl

Everyman announces new London book
01/14/10 at 10:14:53
Post Tools
'Play the London System' by Cyrus Lakdawala is announced for September/October: http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Play_the_London_System

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo