Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Learning the Open Lopez (Read 21310 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: Learning the Open Lopez
Reply #2 - 01/24/10 at 21:47:04
Post Tools
Watsonfox wrote on 01/24/10 at 13:05:55:
I have decided to learn the Open Lopez as black and I have a few questions.
What are the critical lines?
What model games do you recommend to study?
Who are the experts in this line

Books first: Flear's books are always of a good standard and can be recommended, but for learning the ideas of this opening I suggest Krasenkow's book is still the number one choice.

Players: Tarrasch, Euwe, Korchnoi, Anand, Ivanchuk, Jussupow, Krasenkow, Marin, Korneev, Mikhalevski, Flear, Sorin, Sipke Ernst.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Re: Learning the Open Lopez
Reply #1 - 01/24/10 at 17:10:45
Post Tools
Before you start playing the Open Ruy Lopez you should study the key game Kasparov-Anand, 1995. I remember that this game (15 years ago!) nearly refuted the whole opening line.

Of course nowadays Black has found ways to stay in the game but there are still obstacles in the 9.Nbd2 line (as in the Kasparov game).

So if you enjoyed (or got frightened!?) the mentioned game and still want to learn the Open Ruy Lopez there are some slightly dated - but still very good - books around (Flear, Krasenkow). And most of all you may stay tuned with a subscription to chesspublishing 1.e4e5 (no I am not working for Chesspublishing  Grin)

There (and in the books) you will see that there are even more hair raising and tactical / strategical comlicated lines.

Players to follow are all those strong 1.e4-players as Kasparov, Anand, Leko, Shirov, Karjakin,...

Have fun...

IP Logged

Watsonfox
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Learning the Open Lopez
01/24/10 at 13:05:55
Post Tools
I have decided to learn the Open Lopez as black and I have a few questions.
What are the critical lines?
What model games do you recommend to study?
Who are the experts in this line

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo