Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rage Against the Advertising Machine (Read 8556 times)
trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Rage Against the Advertising Machine
Reply #15 - 02/05/10 at 16:56:53
Post Tools
As long as Tony allows it then I support it because I enjoy reading about and chatting with the authors/publishers/main fans of the forth coming book.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #14 - 02/05/10 at 13:23:16
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from General Chess [move by] GMTonyKosten.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #13 - 02/05/10 at 13:22:15
Post Tools
I must admit that the ads that really annoy me are those where the author/publisher anonymously pretends to ask a stupid question about their book just to generate free advertising. Angry
I am very happy when strong players openly come here to join in a discussion that directly concerns them, I'm thinking of, say, Jacob Aagaard's posts related to Marin's 1 e4 e5 book. Smiley
The two Simons' Dutch Defence posts were mostly helpful, so I have no real complaints about them myself.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #12 - 02/05/10 at 12:57:26
Post Tools
Boki - it seems like this is the consensus view so far (admittedly though only a few people have spoken!). But I´m curious - would you have a problem if this post was posted by the publisher themselves or not? For me this seems to be taking things a bit too far - for example what happens if (a hypothetical case which I hope won´t happen) a publisher decides to come along and open 20 new threads for his "forthcoming books" even if many of them are more than a year away? If we accept advertising as OK then theoretically they would be in their rights doing this.... My own view is that the book threads should be started by someone with a genuine interest in the books who happened to see the book is coming out on the publishers website - this is what usually happens and there are enough people on this forum keeping track of things, that I dont think we´d be missing much.

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 02/05/10 at 10:45:12
Post Tools
For me most of such post " xxx wil publish a new book on yyy opening" are quite interesting. I ´think many of us are interested in new (opening) chess books, so it is just nice to know that something will/ has been published.
I would miss such posts and it would be in my opinion unnecessary censorship

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 02/04/10 at 00:13:51
Post Tools
No actually, it was to be Chess Publishing General, Discussion since it's ChessPub business and not just miscellaneous chess chat.  I dunno that it matters now, but that's where this belongs.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #9 - 02/04/10 at 00:00:21
Post Tools
I started the thread here because Tony Kosten created a thread on advertising and placed it in this section (see the top of the General Chess section).  I'm going to leave it here for now.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #8 - 02/03/10 at 23:50:54
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/03/10 at 22:28:45:
I still stick to this. If Antillian referred to Rudel making propaganda for his book on the Colle-Zukertort using a pseudo and without making clear that he was the author, I did and do object.

I was actually referring to IM Andrew Greet who started a thread on his book "The Accelerated Dragon"

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/03/10 at 22:49:52
Post Tools
I was impressed by Williams' integrity and the fact that though he is responding to questions about his DVD, he did not try to do a "hard sell" on this forum. Moreover, he did provide some insights that were helpful suggestions concerning lines he covered on his DVD.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 02/03/10 at 22:28:45
Post Tools
Yes it should.

MNb wrote on 02/01/10 at 01:32:46:
As far as I am concerned, I don't have any problems with advertising a la Simon Williams, as long as the author makes clear that he advertises for him/herself. The way Rudel advertised for his book Zuke'm (or whatever) is much more misleading imo; he acted as if he was an enthusiast student of the book.

I still stick to this. If Antillian referred to Rudel making propaganda for his book on the Colle-Zukertort using a pseudo and without making clear that he was the author, I did and do object.

If an author advertises for his/her book under his/her own name - and PsychoCowboy made very clear who he was - I don't expect him/her to tell us how bad it is. At the other hand I consider myself intelligent enough to decide if I need PC's DVD no matter how many arguments in it's favour he brings up. So advertising for chess products is not a problem for me at all, on the contrary, I welcome it, as long as I am free to slate it if I want to. Eg Eric Schiller advertising for his work on the Frankenstein/Dracula here will be in for some nasty comments.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/03/10 at 21:33:52
Post Tools
Shouldn't this be moved to Chess Publishing General?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 02/03/10 at 21:07:06
Post Tools
I find these posts quite helpfull given the fact that Everyman just put their announcements between the already published books on their website (unless their release is nearby). That is also one of the reasons that I don't really believe Everyman is behind the posts.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #3 - 02/03/10 at 19:18:50
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 02/03/10 at 18:48:19:
I suppose the rules should be clarified a bit though - for example is it OK for a publisher (Everyman, Quality chess or whatever) to directly open a new thread in their own name about an upcoming book? If people agree its OK then theres nothing more to talk about. If not then all that needs to be confirmed is that the poster is a genuine poster and not representing a publisher, but if people are not that bothered either way (which seems to be the case) then anything goes! I myself like book threads, but would prefer if they were started by sombody who is genuinely interested in the book itself for one reason or another.

Actually, I do seem to recall that they have been threads on books started by the authors before. One even had the audacity to post that his thread was the "official thread" on his book. But there was no fuss about it.

I think the vast majority of members here welcome these kinds of announcements. It would be far different if it were a competitor product like say New in Chess or Chess vibes opening updates. Now whether it makes sense to start a thread on a book that is one year away from publishing, that is an entirely different question.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #2 - 02/03/10 at 18:48:19
Post Tools
Well evidently then I have got the wrong end of the stick as they say. I am not Simon Williams by the way  Cool - not that strong - he´s a GM by the way, who plays a style of chess a million miles away from mine. I dont think he'd be caught dead playing the QGD for instance.

Actually thinking about it you´re right in a way though, this whole subject of advertising I hadn´t even considered before Markovich suggested deleting the Dutch thread, which somewhat took me aback, since as far as I could see there were far more likely candidates for deletion than that! The issue there for me was that the thread had not been started by the publisher/author. So probably had that not been in my head it would not even have occurred to me the other day that a thread which started off like that (with a link and publisher blurb) could be an advertisement. If the consensus is that this type of post is fine then so be it, I must have seen at least twenty posts like this before and probably it never occurred to me because the subject was not in my head.

I suppose the rules should be clarified a bit though - for example is it OK for a publisher (Everyman, Quality chess or whatever) to directly open a new thread in their own name about an upcoming book? If people agree its OK then theres nothing more to talk about. If not then all that needs to be confirmed is that the poster is a genuine poster and not representing a publisher, but if people are not that bothered either way (which seems to be the case) then anything goes! I myself like book threads, but would prefer if they were started by sombody who is genuinely interested in the book itself for one reason or another.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/03/10 at 18:20:39
Post Tools
Oh well it's here now, but I really think this belongs in "Chess Publishing, General."  It's the subject from Hell, so it would seem.  Might as well be here as there.

I proposed that IM Simon Something-or-Other, sorry I forget the last name, was advertising in a certain post here.  I was overruled by Tony, which I can't complain about since it's Tony's website and I'm at his service.  But I suspect that it was that that sparked Keano's interest in this topic.  Actually I wondered if all his complaints, farfetched as they seemed to me, were a kind of ironic payback.  Is he a friend of IM Simon?  Is he IM Simon?

But if he is sincere, I think he's just wrong that quoting publisher's blurbs here is advertising.  Not only is that wrong, but it's far from the consensus view.  I don't buy his argument that it's a slippery slope from that to ads for thingy enlargement pumps, since we have a pretty solid set of moderators here. 

That's right, I even esteem your moderation most of the time, Smyslov Fan.

[I didn't type "thingy;" God damn this bowdlerizing server.]

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo