Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) is the archangel defence a good defence? (Read 44039 times)
Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Re: is the archangel defence a good defence?
Reply #9 - 02/11/10 at 17:55:41
Post Tools
Quote:
The answer to that is that 6...Bb7 is strongly met by 7.d3!, just arguing that the ensuing Andersen-style Spanish, Black's bishop is misplaced on b7.

GM Ronen Har-Zvi recommends an interesting line in his video on chessclub.com which is 7...Bd6 8...Ne7 and 9...Ng6 - certainly worth a try.

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/11/10 at 15:55:34
Post Tools
Yes, black basically has a bad Anti-Marshall in the old Bb7 Arkhangelsk.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #7 - 02/11/10 at 15:07:30
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 02/11/10 at 14:12:25:
Mortal Games wrote on 02/09/10 at 15:19:01:
The Archangelsk defence (my preference) is in my view a good active choice (...Bb7 is the Archangelsk and ...Bc5 (4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5 a6 Nf6 0-0 b5 Bb3 Bc5) the Moller or new Archangelsk recently seen at Corus Wijk Aan Zee). You have John Emms old book on both variations and more recent a DVD from a great coach: Mikhalchishin on the Archangelsk (an expert on these variations).    

Howcome no top GM plays the Archangel then (...Bb7)? They prefer instead to play the neo-Archangel (...Bc5).

The answer to that is that 6...Bb7 is strongly met by 7.d3!, just arguing that the ensuing Andersen-style Spanish, Black's bishop is misplaced on b7.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 02/11/10 at 14:12:25
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 02/09/10 at 15:19:01:
The Archangelsk defence (my preference) is in my view a good active choice (...Bb7 is the Archangelsk and ...Bc5 (4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5 a6 Nf6 0-0 b5 Bb3 Bc5) the Moller or new Archangelsk recently seen at Corus Wijk Aan Zee). You have John Emms old book on both variations and more recent a DVD from a great coach: Mikhalchishin on the Archangelsk (an expert on these variations).    

Howcome no top GM plays the Archangel then (...Bb7)? They prefer instead to play the neo-Archangel (...Bc5).

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/10/10 at 22:00:10
Post Tools
I looked also into white alternatives,
for me the only difficult system to face is the spanish.

TN wrote on 02/10/10 at 21:31:55:
There is nothing wrong with the Archangelsk, but remember that a large number of players (varies depending on your level) will not allow you to play the Archangelsk, preferring less theoretical variations such as 5.Qe2, the Exchange Variation, 3.Bc4, 3.d4, 3.Nc3, 2.Nc3 and 2.Bc4. I recall that Marin offered some strong recommendations against these moves in his 'Play the Open Games' although you'll need to look at some recent games as well if your opponents mostly prepare for their opponents.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/10 at 21:31:55
Post Tools
There is nothing wrong with the Archangelsk, but remember that a large number of players (varies depending on your level) will not allow you to play the Archangelsk, preferring less theoretical variations such as 5.Qe2, the Exchange Variation, 3.Bc4, 3.d4, 3.Nc3, 2.Nc3 and 2.Bc4. I recall that Marin offered some strong recommendations against these moves in his 'Play the Open Games' although you'll need to look at some recent games as well if your opponents mostly prepare for their opponents.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bromstein
YaBB Newbies

Greetings

Reply #3 - 02/10/10 at 19:34:15
Post Tools
I played through this dvd. It is really great. In my view on the same step as Bologans dvds (Caro and KI).

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #2 - 02/09/10 at 16:07:26
Post Tools
active but therefore also risky for Black

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/09/10 at 15:19:01
Post Tools

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

is the archangel defence a good defence?
02/09/10 at 14:20:37
Post Tools
Hello,
I am unexeperienced in ... e5,
I have now looked into most of the variations against the spanish (zaitsev, yates, chigorin, open, berlin), but none of them really satisfy, I think it is good to place the blacksquared bishop a bit more active like in the archangel defence, although I do not really know if it is the archangel or moeller defence, I think of the move order e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5 a6 Nf6 0-0 b5 Bb3 Bc5. Is it a good solid defence, or is it only suited for top level grandmasters trying to hold a draw? I think of c3 d6 d4 Bb6 a4 rb8 Na3 0-0 axb5 axb5 Nxb5 Bg4 Bc2 Bxf3 gxf3 Nh5, but I think it is also possible to play d5 instead of Bxf3.
Do you know any literature on the archangel?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo